Why become a member? ×

Backup amps

Guest subaudio

Guest subaudio

Hey all

I am slowly building my gear back up after having to shed it over recent years and am wanting to get back into playing on a serious level, and got to wondering what eactly do I need long term, I may well not be in a position to spend the cash for a good while once I am sorted so really need to get it right first time.

So my question is, who amongst us carries backup amps for gigs and if so what is your main amp and what is your backup?

My current rig is a GK 1001 head and two GK 2X10 RBH cabs, no back up

Cheers.

[quote name='subaudio' post='440316' date='Mar 20 2009, 02:39 PM']Hey all

I am slowly building my gear back up after having to shed it over recent years and am wanting to get back into playing on a serious level, and got to wondering what eactly do I need long term, I may well not be in a position to spend the cash for a good while once I am sorted so really need to get it right first time.

So my question is, who amongst us carries backup amps for gigs and if so what is your main amp and what is your backup?

My current rig is a GK 1001 head and two GK 2X10 RBH cabs, no back up

Cheers.[/quote]

I carry a decent DI just in case anything happens to the amp. Only happened to me once, but I'm glad I had it with me!

I'll carry a back up if EBS release something sounding like the TD650 in a small package. Until then, I'll take my chances. I take with me enough spare drivers at the gig so I'm never bothered about those! (Not that I've ever lost one!)

Guest subaudio

[quote name='Twigman' post='440386' date='Mar 20 2009, 03:51 PM']I specify my required backline to the promoter and it magically appears on stage at the soundcheck. :)

I actually don't own an amp.[/quote]

Yep, theyre good fun those ones but sadly not the norm yet :rolleyes:

I take an MXR M80 and and sometimes an Aphex Aural Exciter. Both have a decent DI and if my amp goes down mid song then there's still bass coming through the PA as the signal is taken straight from my bass.

Don't think i could be bothered taking a backup amp to gigs, what's the point in downsizing if you're gonna take 2 rigs? I'm lazy and proud!

My main rig is a Marshall JCM 800 superlead Mk2 into a Marshall 4x12. My backup amp currently is a Markbass LM2 but Im trying to get hold of another Marshall superlead or superbass. I also carry a Presonus tube pre (well I know its belt and double braces but with 200 plus gigs a year you never know).

I've plenty of stuff at home but don't have room in the car for a backup - well I suppose I could put a GK MBS in, but I don't. Like Simon I always carry a DI in case. Otherwise when/if something goes let's hope it's the preamp section of the amp so I can go into into the effects return.

On the rare occasions that I actually get to gig, I take my Eden WTX-260 along just in case.

It weighs 3.5lbs, fits in a gig-bag pocket, and apart from being a very nice amp it's also an excellent DI box.

All bases covered (no pun - just ignore it), but hardly a cheap solution.

ps: The Duck Dunn is still absolutely wonderful.

[quote name='chris_b' post='441481' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:42 AM']Has anyone ever had an amp fail and had to use their backup amp?[/quote]

Not yet but I take my EBS MicroBassII as a back-up in case a preamp valve dies on me - as they are reputed to do from time to time. This has never happened to me though. I use the EBS as my DI anyway so it's nothing extra to take.

[quote name='chris_b' post='441481' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:42 AM']Has anyone ever had an amp fail and had to use their backup amp?[/quote]
Not fail, but my Burman developed serious distortion problems at one gig and I switched to the LMII backup.

Turned out that the power valves were falling out. Now fixed, thanks to a set of Marshall-pattern spring retainers.

I gig with a Markbass 103H and had no backup but I've just bought an Ashdown 2x10 redface off of Nancy Johnson on BC (nice bloke) to use at a little regular music club gig and will now take that as a spare to larger gigs although I don't expect any breakdowns with the Markbass.

Guest subaudio

Cool thanks guys, it seems the most common backup is a DI box then, makes sense and is a lot easier on the back too.

I think when I finally get a combo for smaller gigs then that should be enough as an at home backup with a DI in my gig bag.

Nice one

I haven't got a backup and my amp's never died.

At a gig! It did die during a recording session and luckily there was a spare. I got it fixed and gigged with it without problems, just a nagging fear that it could happen again.

Pretty much every gig I play has other bass players on the bill so I could borrow one in an emergency, but I'd hate to have to.