Jump to content
musicbassman

Another multi musician lockdown collaboration....oh dear.

Recommended Posts

I've not listened to it, nor will I, but this thread highlights what I perceive to be an increasing thing recently.  Seems to me that there are a handful of self-appointed arbiters of taste on here just waiting to tear apart anything that doesn't meet their own personal criteria for 'a good thing'.  Get some perspective, guys.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of appearing humourless and po-faced, I think these are difficult times for all musicians. We do what we can to get through the current times. We all have the option to scroll past or skip. None of us make music that appeals to all. If they had a bit of fun making it, good on 'em!.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rich said:

You must have missed my comments on the Markbass compo thread. Shall I give you a link to them?

Must have zapped myself.

 

 giphy.gif&key=df1bbcd53df608f5eb903eeb07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Sounds like the theme tune to a 70's sitcom. 

This is what convinced me to listen!

I have no problem with the video or the concept behind it.

As a single piece, it is a bit 'kitchen sink', but I think that may have been its intention anyway. Thought of as an example of the importance of music and togetherness to so many people it makes a lot of sense. If it were sent to the government as part of a petition for them to recognise the value of the arts across society, it could be quite compelling, perhaps?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, ordep said:

I like it. 

So do 231 other people.

I don't see the big deal why people should want to hate on it personally.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heartily support the OP's right to a negative opinion and the freedom to express it. This is a discussion forum, all opinions are valid. Some perspective required, indeed.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, goblin said:



This one on the other hand... I'd say that's how it's done! 

 I like it and, it's very well arranged with some top playing going on...Although, I think there's a couple of hundred years of more experience from some top hitters on show.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I heartily support the OP's right to a negative opinion and the freedom to express it. This is a discussion forum, all opinions are valid. Some perspective required, indeed.

I wholeheartedly agree.  And actually it isn't the OP I have contention with, rather a lot of childish ridicule presented by some of the folks who don't like it.  And that is the bit that I am not comfortable with because it then extends the notion of ridicule to anyone who does like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Paul S said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  And actually it isn't the OP I have contention with, rather a lot of childish ridicule presented by some of the folks who don't like it.  And that is the bit that I am not comfortable with because it then extends the notion of ridicule to anyone who does like it.

Honestly, you're overthinking it. People are sharing their opinions of a thing - it's no more complicated than that.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Paul S said:

I've not listened to it, nor will I, but this thread highlights what I perceive to be an increasing thing recently.  Seems to me that there are a handful of self-appointed arbiters of taste on here just waiting to tear apart anything that doesn't meet their own personal criteria for 'a good thing'.  Get some perspective, guys.

What, you mean like the handful of self appointed arbiters of other people's right to free speech on here just waiting to tear apart anyone who doesn't meet their own criteria for legitimate opinion? 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You disappoint me, Chris.  I thought you were better than all this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paul S said:

You disappoint me, Chris.  I thought you were better than all this.

Long way up on that horse is it Paul?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Long way up on that horse is it Paul?

That would have worked better with a smiley than a question mark, apologies if that overstepped the mark. Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Long way up on that horse is it Paul?

Horse. That is still my most memorable post... ever.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paul S said:

I wholeheartedly agree.  And actually it isn't the OP I have contention with, rather a lot of childish ridicule presented by some of the folks who don't like it.  And that is the bit that I am not comfortable with because it then extends the notion of ridicule to anyone who does like it.

People are own stating their own opinions, like on every single discussion forum on the internet and in every pub up and down the land, not telling others what's right/good and what's wrong/bad.  I've not read any posts here ridiculing the YT vid just making a judgement as every person on the planet does

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP here - again.

Sorry this has ruffled feathers - that wasn't the intention. I'm not that kind of guy.

You're welcome to reread my comments again, but to summarise I said that I thought it was awful (still do) and then added "Other opinions are available" In other words, it was just my opinion

I then added the further point about how little control an individual collaborator would have over the finished product, and it must be a bit hard for them if they really didn't like the end result - possibly very disappointing after all the hard work and effort they'd put in to add their contribution.

That's all folks.  Peace and love etc.  🙂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Horse. That is still my most memorable post... ever.

It seemed to fit the zeitgeist back then didn’t it. Less troubled times :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, musicbassman said:

OP here - again.

Sorry this has ruffled feathers - that wasn't the intention. I'm not that kind of guy.

You're welcome to reread my comments again, but to summarise I said that I thought it was awful (still do) and then added "Other opinions are available" In other words, it was just my opinion

I then added the further point about how little control an individual collaborator would have over the finished product, and it must be a bit hard for them if they really didn't like the end result - possibly very disappointing after all the hard work and effort they'd put in to add their contribution.

That's all folks.  Peace and love etc.  🙂

I have certainly slagged bands off before, undoubtedly. But if I go and see a band I might turn to a friend and say ‘what do you think of this lot, I don’t rate them’ or I might give an honest opinion if they ask me what I think of the performance. What I don’t do is walk around the venue tapping people on the shoulder saying ‘this lot are stinky poo’! it just seems unduly negative, even if that was not your intention.

As far as the individual collaborators go, I’m not sure that they have the same expectations they would have if they had worked on a project in a more normal situation. These things either work or they don’t. And if they don’t, I would imagine that most people would just shrug their shoulders and think ‘well at least I had the chance to do something and work with some other musicians, even if it didn't turn out that great’. I don't think that our expectations of these types of collaborations are that high in the first place for, but at least we can appreciate that they are trying... 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Seems to me like some people need to remove their cranium from their anus. 

You can't even have a light-hearted discussion anymore without someone getting on their high horse. 

Guess what? We don't all like the same thing. I think that's generally accepted, but it's getting to the point where, when anyone posts a critical statement about their (personal) view of something, no matter how light hearted, they end up in the firing line. 

It makes me wonder how the walking offended even survive in the real world. 

 

That summarise my view to be honest. This is a music forum, we all care about music or we wouldn't be here. The piece in question divided opinion. But it was recorded to be placed on an internet platform on which it's going to attract comment and divide opinion, so this was not a personal performance that was being unfairly targeted. And this is the internet, not a venue, and that makes a very big difference, but it's a difference that all involved in the piece in question are no doubt aware of. My view - not shared by everyone I accept - is that the majority of real in the flesh live musical performances are intended as entertainment, whilst the majority of these types of performances on You Tube are self-promotion. There's nothing wrong with that, but in this context, our discussion arguably helped the artists/producers achieve exactly what they set out to do, get people talking about it and draw attention to them.

I guess we all draw lines in different places, I saw them as fair game because of the above, whereas if for example it had been a film of something equally not to my liking that someone other than the band had recorded and uploaded - which has also happened on this forum - I'd have been less inclined to wade in with negative comment. But to me this was a very self conscious act of self promotion by all involved and is absolutely 100% open to criticism on that basis. And yes, I buy the 'it's hard for musicians at the moment' idea, but there's been some amazing music produced during lockdown, so that argument is largely a distraction. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Beedster said:

That summarise my view to be honest. This is a music forum, we all care about music or we wouldn't be here. The piece in question divided opinion. But it was recorded to be placed on an internet platform on which it's going to attract comment and divide opinion, so this was not a personal performance that was being unfairly targeted. And this is the internet, not a venue, and that makes a very big difference, but it's a difference that all involved in the piece in question are no doubt aware of. My view - not shared by everyone I accept - is that the majority of real in the flesh live musical performances are intended as entertainment, whilst the majority of these types of performances on You Tube are self-promotion. There's nothing wrong with that, but in this context, our discussion arguably helped the artists/producers achieve exactly what they set out to do, get people talking about it and draw attention to them.

I guess we all draw lines in different places, I saw them as fair game because of the above, whereas if for example it had been a film of something equally not to my liking that someone other than the band had recorded and uploaded - which has also happened on this forum - I'd have been less inclined to wade in with negative comment. But to me this was a very self conscious act of self promotion by all involved and is absolutely 100% open to criticism on that basis. And yes, I buy the 'it's hard for musicians at the moment' idea, but there's been some amazing music produced during lockdown, so that argument is largely a distraction. 

 

In fairness, I removed my comment, (but evidently not before you quoted it) as in hindsight it came across as a bit harsh. It wasn't aimed at anyone in particular, and not even necessarily about this particular thread. It was just a bit of a rant about the current state of affairs where it seems no-one is allowed a personal opinion any more, and there always seems to be someone looking to be offended by absolutely anything they can find. 

It's all getting rather tedious. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I may have my 'cranium up my anus'.  I prefer to think of it as old fashioned courtesy and manners that, if I disagree with someone, I don't resort to ridicule.  Yes, we all like different things and, yes, we all voice opinions about it.  My point is let's just play nicely.  Sorry if some of you think that is tedious - I'll get off my high horse now :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...