Why become a member? ×

Tina Weymouth

Spotted this video on youtube

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU[/url]

Anyone know what bass that is?

basses always looked too big for her....she has to be my favourite female player and I definately had a crush on her growing up

Edited by Bass_In_Yer_Face

[quote name='Bass_In_Yer_Face' post='437163' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:58 PM']Spotted this video on youtube

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNdMc6wGtU[/url]

Anyone know what bass that is?

basses always looked too big for her....she has to be my favourite female player and I definately had a crush on her growing up[/quote]

MB1. :)
Damn thats annoying! another annoyance,i always used to wonder if she made those strange noises during sex ,that she made in Tom Tom Club!
........Another of lifes Great Mysteries!

According to wiki P and a quick google, it's a Veillette-Citron Standard 4 String; A joint luthier effort, they've both (Veillette and Citron) have gone their seperate ways so the basses arn't available as such.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='437233' date='Mar 17 2009, 01:33 PM']According to wiki P and a quick google, it's a Veillette-Citron Standard 4 String; A joint luthier effort, they've both (Veillette and Citron) have gone their seperate ways so the basses arn't available as such.[/quote]

By strange coincidence there's one for sale as we speak on evil bay (USA version).

[quote name='alexclaber' post='437556' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:06 PM']I'm still in shock that Bob Babbitt was drafted in the replace the bass tracks on the first Talking Heads album...

Alex[/quote]

That's interesting, didn't know that.
I like both players.

[quote name='Pookus' post='437494' date='Mar 17 2009, 04:34 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zFsy9VIdM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5zFsy9VIdM[/url]

I prefer this track - really early on[/quote]

I saw Talking Heads that year at, I think, Barbarella's club in Birmingham. If I remember correctly the support act were called Dire Straits.

I watched [i]Stop Making Sense[/i] for the first time last night. I was pretty impressed.

There seemed to be a lot of incidents of blatant overdubbing (vocals coming through while David Byrne was still 3 feet away from the mic, bass coming through while Tina Weymouth was quite clearly doing nothing). I was seriously doubting the "live-ness" of it, but I am partially satisfied with the explanation that the film was compiled by performing the show 3 times and then splicing together the audio and video as required.

On another note, I enjoyed watching Tina Weymouth's bass technique. Left hand thumb over the top, right hand using the thumb on the E string and fingers for the others. It just goes to show that "bad" technique is no hindrance to success.

S.P.

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='440044' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:55 AM']On another note, I enjoyed watching Tina Weymouth's bass technique. Left hand thumb over the top, right hand using the thumb on the E string and fingers for the others. It just goes to show that "bad" technique is no hindrance to success.

S.P.[/quote]

i'm due for huge success then!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='440044' date='Mar 20 2009, 09:55 AM']On another note, I enjoyed watching Tina Weymouth's bass technique. Left hand thumb over the top, right hand using the thumb on the E string and fingers for the others. It just goes to show that "bad" technique is no hindrance to success.

S.P.[/quote]

Wot??? How else are you supposed to play the thing??

[quote name='William James Easton' post='437315' date='Mar 17 2009, 02:26 PM']sod being favourite female player. shes one of my favourite players of all time. named my bass after her.... :wub:[/quote]

You named your bass 'Weymouth'? By an amazing coincidence, one of mine is called 'Bognor Regis'.

Any other basses named after popular English seaside towns?

(But TW is, indeed, a fox, a fine player and, one assumes, in part, laudably responsible for the growing trend towards Lay-dee low-enders)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='440602' date='Mar 20 2009, 08:13 PM']You named your bass 'Weymouth'? By an amazing coincidence, one of mine is called 'Bognor Regis'.

Any other basses named after popular English seaside towns?

(But TW is, indeed, a fox, a fine player and, one assumes, in part, laudably responsible for the growing trend towards Lay-dee low-enders)[/quote]

I've always been partial to a Lay-dee's low end.

Back in the day, the "other" punk/new wave female bassist was Gaye Advert who got far, far more music press coverage than TW, more for being something of a babe than for any discernable talent.
Guess the fact that Gaye is largely forgotten now just shows that talent counts for more in the long run (though I do still own a poster of her, [b]and[/b] a Jetglo Ricky 4001 called Gaye.....) :)
Being integral to a cutting edge band did TW no harm either of course

There were a couple of others less mainstream, like the bass player of the Slits (anyone remember her name?)