Why become a member? ×

COVID claims another victim, maybe

Nicko

Here's the summary of an extended Whatsapp exchange with the band yesterday:

Drummer: "I'm not comfortable meeting as my mum is shielding, but if we can find a rehearsal room in with opening windows, I might be ready to start practicing soon"

Guitarist :"Fair enough, but I've already had it so I'm not that worried about meeting up"

Me "I'm not that concerned, I think the chances of catching it at rehearsal are no more than in a shop"

Drummer "I've been thinking that maybe we should do some home recording, although my job's not secure so maybe will have to wait to commit to buying anything"

Guitarist "That sounds cool"

Me "Its difficult to do it live due to delay in transmission"

Drummer "perhaps I could lay down a track and then you and * can lay down the guitars, and then (singer) can add vocals.  Is it possible?

Singer "I'm up for that"

Me "Yes, but not straightforward - I've sent an email"

Guitarist "I'm really only interested in actually playing with real human beings.  Are we able to do it at (Drummers) house"

Drummer "No I live in a cottage"

Me "I agree, I don't see the point in online collaboration for covers.  I have space and recording gear but can't record more than two instruments at a time.  I can't see recording drums in the house"

Drummer "So Nicko what do you want to do?"

Me "Ideally be in a band that rehearses regularly and gigs occasionally"

Drummer "That's not an option at the moment.  What do you want to do?"

Me "Oh It thought you meant long term.  Short term I don't know as you understandably don't want to practice and (our singer) is not available cos she's moved"

Drummer "You don't want to do home recording.   I've said I'm available to practice soon, as long as we can find a suitable room  So what do you want to do?"

Me "I don't know.  Its not me that's causing an issue. . You want to do home recording but don't have the equipment or the knowledge - I've sent you an email.  You will practice sometime, but only if you can find a room with windows.  The only one I know is XXX and its due to shut permanently"

Drummer"so what do you want to do?"

Me "Until today I didn't know, but right now I think I quit."

The drummer appears to be trying to project the 'problem' onto you at the end of the discussion. Whereas (although I have the greatest sympathy for his position) he appears to be the limiting factor here. The bands problem appears to be lack of suitable rehearsal space, that you should ideally take joint ownership of - it shouldn't be just down to you.

One other thought - What was in your e-mail? Was it something that wound your drummer up? the conversation appears to take a less-constructive turn after that point.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

They haven't got any of your gear by any chance?..ie..lights...amps?

No quite the opposite - I have the jointly owned PA, which has been left to me to manage since we bought it.  I don't want it so will be expecting them to buy me out.  Holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

So anyway @Nicko, what do you want to do?

I want to tell the drummer to stop being such an old woman, and the singer to either commit or feck off.  I mean you can't move to Cambridge end expect to be in an band based in west London, but apparently only I see a problem with this.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Heathy said:

The drummer appears to be trying to project the 'problem' onto you at the end of the discussion. Whereas (although I have the greatest sympathy for his position) he appears to be the limiting factor here. The bands problem appears to be lack of suitable rehearsal space, that you should ideally take joint ownership of - it shouldn't be just down to you.

One other thought - What was in your e-mail? Was it something that wound your drummer up? the conversation appears to take a less-constructive turn after that point.

Absolutely, I don'rt understand why I was the one who had to make a choice, when it wasn't me setting the ground rules.

No, I laid out the options for how we could do it, but said that we wouldn't be getting studio quality sound as I'm not a sound engineer and lack the software and knowledge to get the sounds right. AFAIK i'm the only one with any home studio equipment or experience, but if you listen to my tracks they are demo quality.

11 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Is this guy a spectacularly good drummer? Or does he maybe bring in all the gigs for the band or something?

He is good, but nothing special.  He's one of those drummers that makes it look effortless, which isn't necessarily a good thing for a gigging band as he's a bit anonymous  He didn't get us any gigs, but did some great artwork for logos and flyers.

The band was together for nearly 2 years and it never felt like it gelled personality wise, but that might be me.

Let me address the elephant in the room...

rehearse.... for what gigs?

at the moment it’s not really worth falling out over. It’s not as if there’s gigs aplenty - and if there are gigs, it’s not as if they are well attended.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

at the moment it’s not really falling out over. It’s not as if there’s gigs aplenty - and if there are gigs, it’s not as if they are well attended.

I've never really understood this mindset to be honest. If there's no gigs then it's not worth rehearsing. 

How about just for the love of playing music with other musicians? 

I actually prefer rehearsing to gigging. Sitting in a room with other musicians just playing is one of my favourite things in the world.  Rather than rehearsing being a means to an end, I see gigging as a necessary evil.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Fair point, but if the drummer can't enjoy the rehearsal because he's worried about covid then that will put a dampener on the mood a bit, surely?

Looking at OP's exchange, the drummer has been very reasonable, offering plenty of alternatives and options, and making clear what he is and isn't prepared to do. OP's responses seem to have been mainly just shooting everything down. I'm really glad that I'm not in a band with him.

S.P.

Edited by Stylon Pilson
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've never really understood this mindset to be honest. If there's no gigs then it's not worth rehearsing. 

I actually prefer rehearsing to gigging. Sitting in a room with other musicians just playing is one of my favourite things in the world.  Rather than rehearsing being a means to an end, I see gigging as a necessary evil.  

You don’t need to be with other people to keep enhancing your craft. Get some practice on, learn more theory. Open up the fretboard so when the opportunities arrive, you are a much better player. Sitting in a room with musicians won’t bring on your playing if nobody is pushing the boundaries of their own playing.

I get the whole thing about playing for enjoyment - but there’s a hell of a lot of things that we can’t do normally at the moment... but we can make the most of what we do have.

• Like 5

Just now, Stylon Pilson said:

Fair point, but if the drummer can't enjoy the rehearsal because he's worried about covid then that will put a dampener on the mood a bit, surely?

Looking at OP's exchange, the drummer has been very reasonable, offering plenty of alternatives and options, and making clear what he is and isn't prepared to do. OP's responses seem to have been mainly just shooting everything down. I'm really glad that I'm not in a band with him.

S.P.

Plot twist. Band is rehearsing. With a different bassplayer. Has @MacDaddygot a new band already?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Nicko said:

I want to tell the drummer to stop being such an old woman, and the singer to either commit or feck off.  

I'm probably not going to be able to play live for a while for similar reasons to your drummer. Covid sucks, we're all annoyed about how it's affecting our lives - but lets have a bit of grace for people in different situations than us, who are having to make different risk assessments. 

One of the remarkable aspects of the current situation is how it is affecting everyone differently. At the same time me and my wife were running around working full time and childcare and being exhauted other folk were sat around bored as anything with nothing to do. One of my friends had to get out and get back to work as a tradesperson in peoples homes straight away, my next door neighbour has hardly left his house since march. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This COVID situation is a difficult time for everyone in different ways. Some people are more cautious than others, and most people have their reasons for this (i.e. your drummer protecting his mother). It also sounds like your drummer has a lot going on with his job not being secure. It's just a crappy situation for everyone.

Being in a band can often create tensions at the best of time and managing that and the different personalities is never easy.

At the moment there's very little to rehearse for. Gigs are few and far between and those that are happening are very different to usual. So without knowing the dynamic between you all I'd hold off making any drastic moves. I understand why you don't want to record stuff and that's fair.

I think in your situation putting the band on hold until you're all in a place where you're happy to meet up and play together, or until the kind of gigs you do is feasible again would be sensible. If you're all up for it maybe meet for a drink instead.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Its nice to get back in a room and play loud with others though, and it doesnt hurt to be prepared for when gigs do start. 

Some bands just like rehearsing, its good to let off steam etc. I miss rehearsals more than i do gigs. Its a hobby that some enjoy in different ways. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

at the moment it’s not really worth falling out over. It’s not as if there’s gigs aplenty - and if there are gigs, it’s not as if they are well attended.

Yeah.

I only have one gig on the horizon... 28th of November. A 300 capacity venue turned to 70, sitting in spaced out tables, no standing or dancing... and I don't see this getting better anytime soon, all the opposite.

14 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Its nice to get back in a room and play loud with others though, and it doesnt hurt to be prepared for when gigs do start. 

Some bands just like rehearsing, its good to let off steam etc. I miss rehearsals more than i do gigs. Its a hobby that some enjoy in different ways. 

I'm exactly the same Dave. Horses for courses I suppose. But I'm in a band with people who are really good friends ( I'm even married to one of them) so practicing for us is just getting together with like minded mates and creating music. It's first and foremost an enjoyable social get together. If it wasn't, I don't think I'd bother doing it. I totally appreciate that for some people it's a living, which puts a rather different spin on things, but as far as the hobby side of it goes, I certainly don't need an audience to enjoy it. In fact I enjoy it far more without one. 

• Like 1