Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

8 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Damn 'n blast... if it aint gumtree its bloody ebay...

All that @gafbass02 fault with his SR500 revamp...

So 'another' Ibby SR incoming... this one is a fixy-upper ripe for mods keep me out of trouble project jobbie...

Loves the SR's me.

Can’t wait to see it. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bought an Aguilar OBP2 & PJ set from @cetera & fitted them last night/this morning. A good upgrade from the IBZ C4 pickups (as good as they are too). 
The amount of low end it is now able to produce is phenomenal!  Should be able to go well with my synth bass stuff. 

606ED232-A1CB-4F65-8473-9CAD1285C31F.jpeg

• Like 7

On 24/02/2023 at 13:24, xgsjx said:

Bought an Aguilar OBP2 & PJ set from @cetera & fitted them last night/this morning. A good upgrade from the IBZ C4 pickups (as good as they are too). 
The amount of low end it is now able to produce is phenomenal!  Should be able to go well with my synth bass stuff. 

606ED232-A1CB-4F65-8473-9CAD1285C31F.jpeg

Is that the one you stripped the finish off years ago?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lemmywinks said:

Is that the one you stripped the finish off years ago?

It is indeed. Well remembered. 😎
Could do with a rub down & waxed again. Hopefully after we move house I’ll have plenty time. 

Wow, just found the thread. That was 12 years ago!!!!

Edited by xgsjx
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone increased their string spacing on a 5 string SR Premium?

The MR5S bridge saddles allow for an increase from the standard 16.5mm to 18mm. I was wondering how much that effected the string alignment over the pickup pole pieces, & also how close the B & G strings got to the edge of the fretboard & did that make a difference to playability?

My 2405W is such a joy to play with its 18mm spacing - no idea why Ibby doesn’t make that the standard on SR fivers… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by Wilco
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Wilco said:

My 2405W is such a joy to play with its 18mm spacing - no idea why Ibby doesn’t make that the standard on SR fivers… 🤷🏼‍♂️

Because it is an abomination and a crime against humanity :D

Why doesn't everyone use 16.5? Because they are crazy, thats why!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Because it is an abomination and a crime against humanity :D

Why doesn't everyone use 16.5? Because they are crazy, thats why!

Agree!

In fact I don't know why they even bother making 5 string basses.

No sane person play them anyway, right?

At least if they did they would definitely want 16.5mm string spacing.

2 hours ago, Wilco said:

Anyone increased their string spacing on a 5 string SR Premium?

The MR5S bridge saddles allow for an increase from the standard 16.5mm to 18mm. I was wondering how much that effected the string alignment over the pickup pole pieces, & also how close the B & G strings got to the edge of the fretboard & did that make a difference to playability?

Did that answer your question? ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

Do the MRS5S bridge saddles allow for that much change? I know they can move a bit either side but certainly on the MR5HS bridge like on the EHBs, although you can get 1.5mm either way, that would only give you an overall change of 3mm on all strings, so changing from 16.5 to 17.25. I know on the 18mm EHB1505 I can get the spacing down to 17.25 at minumum (although obviously individual string spacing can be different if you want that)

In answer to the original question though, if you have moved your string spacing from 16.5 to 18, you have moved both outside strings 3mm. Measuring on my SR to hand, the 1605 with nords, that would still be over the pickup poles on both pickups so wouldn't have an impact there, but the strings would be so close to the edge of the neck that I don't think the top frets would be useable

• Like 1