Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I tried a little wiring alteration on my SRMS805 this morning. This boosts the preamp output by 6db. It's sounding a bit less thin without having to boost everything to max. 

I found out about it through a video by Low End Lobster on YouTube, he did it to his EHB1005 (same preamp)

All I did was unplug the wires from the far right block and move them to the next one on the left. The photo is after the change. 

20230902_133203

The mod you may be more interested in is the eq switch from VM3 to BEQ, the two plugs on the left. This one affects the voicing rather than just making the signal hotter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemmywinks said:

The mod you may be more interested in is the eq switch from VM3 to BEQ, the two plugs on the left. This one affects the voicing rather than just making the signal hotter.

Thanks. I'll give that a bash as well

37 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I really don't get why you would want that mod - it just changes the level between active and passive, and is ultimately the same thing as turning up the volume on your amp isn't it - or do you just want to drive the pedals harder?

Not quite. It sounds "bigger" rather than louder. Like boosting everything on the eq

RE the whole "listening with your eyes" thing - with the licensed Barts it's usually the exact opposite. There's tons of posts on bass forums going back to the old Bart MkI days where people were wondering why their new bass with high end pickups sounded underwhelming only to be told that Cort/Ibanez Barts were nothing like the genuine article.

Anybody who's had real Barts knows the Cort built Mk/BH aren't in the same ball park. Usable but ultimately pointless when Ibanez can build better in house pickups like the Powerspan or T1.

Edited by lemmywinks

6 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Here's the video I got it from. He's an odd chap but one of my favourite bass youtubers

I may be missing something here, but he’s saying the tone is thin at the centre point of the pre amp, & that the mod adds 6 DB’s to the output.

But doesn’t each of the three tone controls boost by something like 15 to 20DB’s?

Wouldn’t the 1 second ‘mod’ be to actually use the tone knobs then? 🤔

57 minutes ago, Wilco said:

I may be missing something here, but he’s saying the tone is thin at the centre point of the pre amp, & that the mod adds 6 DB’s to the output.

But doesn’t each of the three tone controls boost by something like 15 to 20DB’s?

Wouldn’t the 1 second ‘mod’ be to actually use the tone knobs then? 🤔

I found I had to boost everything before to get half way to where I wanted it and then cut what I didn't want in the amp which messed with the sounds out of my overdrive pedals. Now I can boost the bass and mid without having to boost the treble which I don't really want. 

13 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I found I had to boost everything before to get half way to where I wanted it and then cut what I didn't want in the amp which messed with the sounds out of my overdrive pedals. Now I can boost the bass and mid without having to boost the treble which I don't really want. 

Still not quite following the logic of the mod. You can boost bass & mids on the bass, but also cut the treble by up to 15db’s so there’s a ton of adjustment at your finger tips. By so say boosting the output on the pre-amp overall, you’re just moving the adjustment of the input gain from one place to another. It will clip sooner with that mod, so you’ll be turning your main input gain control down to compensate which is self defeating.

You’ve got a signal chain with lots of knobs on - if you can’t get the tone you want, I’d be looking at that if it were me. 

Edited by Wilco

11 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Now I can boost the bass and mid without having to boost the treble which I don't really want. 

Alternatively if it’s a ‘clanky’ sound you’re after change this, because the ‘clank’ won’t be coming from the bass end of the frequency spectrum.

Try this - reduce the bass boost, significantly increase the low mids, & add treble to flavour. If you’re not already, playing with a plectrum & flatwound strings might help too. 

1 hour ago, Wilco said:

Alternatively if it’s a ‘clanky’ sound you’re after change this, because the ‘clank’ won’t be coming from the bass end of the frequency spectrum.

Try this - reduce the bass boost, significantly increase the low mids, & add treble to flavour. If you’re not already, playing with a plectrum & flatwound strings might help too. 

I just looked at flatwounds. £90 for a five string extra long scale set!

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

Damn! That feels like a big price difference from what I'd expect to pay for standard four string flats (that aren't Thomastik), even at heavy gauge. What brand were you looking at?

On 03/09/2023 at 12:27, SteveXFR said:

When you take into account how many sets of roundwound strings you probably go through in 10 years, flats start to seem more of a bargain.

My D’addario chromes was on my bass for 10 years. Replaced them last month just because I felt like a change of brand (went for Rotosound 77 flats). But there was nothing wrong with the chromes.  So much so that the guitarist at last band jam said “your bass isn’t sounding as good, what’s changed”. 

• 1 month later...