Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SumOne said:

Got an EHB 1005 MS for the second time (bad back and tennis elbow were good excuses that I 'must' get a lightweight and ergonomic bass)

Then got carried away with the glow fret markers! 

20230426_170922.thumb.jpg.45af68807583987b2126b376c6fc90cf.jpg

Love it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got my additional 5 string need sorted by picking up this mighty fine BTB1905 Premium off eBay.

Through experience, have become a huge fan of Ibby Premium’s & now have three.

154CE556-166D-47FC-BB98-1E6BEB77A7B8.jpeg

EC3EBA6C-0900-47C4-B7AF-1769F3F7717B.jpeg

82A3FBBA-599E-4CC0-B8E2-D3177F6AC244.jpeg

4CFF1A31-B8EE-48A9-8162-8FFF3EBA3C81.jpeg

D8B7CFAE-8B4B-4963-A7AF-63EFF593DEE7.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Don't think I've posted this before here, my just 28.5" scale 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass, with a Poplar body, Maple neck and Jatoba fretboard, tuned to F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning.

16.5mm string spacing, and as good as perfect fretwork from stock, allowing for nice low action without any fret buzz whatsoever, which makes it really nice to play.

However I really didn't like how the stock pickups sounded, though it did help to wire them in series, but still not really satisfied with the tone they deliver, even if the bass sound nice acoustically, and are really quiet, even before I wired them in series, as Ibanez apparently started using shielded wiring, even in these budget basses.

The problem however is that both pickups are standard 4 string J pickup neck length, but while he mounting "ears" got standard 4 string J neck spacing, so finding replacement pickups is somewhat problematic.

So haven't played it much, but just gave it new strings and tried play it again, and as said, it plays really nice, and with the stock pickups in series it doesn't sound bad either, just kind of bland and not my taste, despite as said actually sounding nice acoustically.

So yeah, need to find some replacement pickups to my liking that fits the unusual pickup cavities, or having them re-routed to give me more options.

Anyway here it is :

image.thumb.png.dc6b964e9a35fc66703e1034a96e8658.png

Replacement/Upgrade pickup suggestions are very welcome :

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

• 3 weeks later...

As @Woodinblack says, @PaulThePlug :)

... and yes, neck through! I am never going to play anywhere near there but I am loving it as a ramp for the plucking hand.

As I expected from an Ibanez, the ergonomics is amazing and the manufscturing is spotless! A joy to hold in your hand and play. I am not over the moon with the pickups and/or preamp. Saying I don't like them would be too much, I have found a good pairing with LaBella tapes and it sounds great. But maybe at that price point (new at least) I was expecting more. Or maybe I just want every bass to sound like a P I don't know :D

• Like 1

Lots of moan on the Mk1 Barts...

But remember these are a Reverse P in a soapbar housing... bound to sound different and/or underwelming when swapped for another soapbar that is a full width twin coil std humbucker...

Me?.. I'd Remove the pickups and pre for a rainy day.. or sell 'em and the magic bridge...

Go for a nice pair of J pups and go passive... with Artec QTP? - All Organic and Natural, but a little wider reaching.

Was a pair of J Toneriders in the FS, now Sold... A pair of Entwistle ceramics?... or contact Maida Vale Pickups (I've one of his P pups in my SR300) he does a Jazz Stack, twin coil, 4 wire so you can series or parallel the individual coils in each pickup... alnico IV for string balance... got fretless all over it!

I love my Passive P SR300. It's like taking of the Active Plastic Wrapping.

Love the SR Worn Pebble Body and Super Sleek necks... although my latest project is a Squier P.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Lots of moan on the Mk1 Barts...

But remember these are a Reverse P in a soapbar housing... bound to sound different and/or underwelming when swapped for another soapbar that is a full width twin coil std humbucker...

Me?.. I'd Remove the pickups and pre for a rainy day.. or sell 'em and the magic bridge...

Go for a nice pair of J pups and go passive... with Artec QTP? - All Organic and Natural, but a little wider reaching.

Was a pair of J Toneriders in the FS, now Sold... A pair of Entwistle ceramics?... or contact Maida Vale Pickups (I've one of his P pups in my SR300) he does a Jazz Stack, twin coil, 4 wire so you can series or parallel the individual coils in each pickup... alnico IV for string balance... got fretless all over it!

I love my Passive P SR300. It's like taking of the Active Plastic Wrapping.

Love the SR Worn Pebble Body and Super Sleek necks... although my latest project is a Squier P.

I must say, I am happy with the piezo. A bit strange to my ears on its own (maybe it's a bit too much with tapes) but it adds some very nice thump to the neck pickup. To be jonest I am a bit wary of modding this one. It's not my usual £150 bass and it's hard to know if it is a keeper given how bad I am at playing fretless! Maybe somethinf discreet and easily reversible at some point!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how many shots Ibanez took at a SR Premium 4 string 30th anniversary bass ?

I've seen them with silver control knobs, Lacewood tops, even with soapbar pickups.

Mine was described as having a a Cocobolo top, Wenge fingerboard, Nordy big Singles, and Titanium strips in the neck when I bought it new. It still sounds amazing

DSCF0785.thumb.JPG.185a196349cbb1cd6fb539387ff697fb.JPG

DSCF0786.thumb.JPG.2ab7b5c0f664d943c59b87c6f4be0acc.JPG

DSCF0788.thumb.JPG.c4e9fca457774ade36c68ade712bc18c.JPG

20230716_150916.thumb.jpg.bdcbb9d4e471eb8d97d328dfd8884679.jpg

20230727_171144.thumb.jpg.b88456c891888605367744f56c6c42bd.jpg

I'm trying to find out where mine fits into the scheme of things, in case I sell it.

The bass is mint.

Unlike the manual ................ :drinks:

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 2pods said:

Can anyone tell me how many shots Ibanez took at a SR Premium 4 string 30th anniversary bass ?

I've seen them with silver control knobs, Lacewood tops, even with soapbar pickups.

Mine was described as having a a Cocobolo top, Wenge fingerboard, Nordy big Singles, and Titanium strips in the neck when I bought it new. It still sounds amazing

DSCF0785.thumb.JPG.185a196349cbb1cd6fb539387ff697fb.JPG

DSCF0786.thumb.JPG.2ab7b5c0f664d943c59b87c6f4be0acc.JPG

DSCF0788.thumb.JPG.c4e9fca457774ade36c68ade712bc18c.JPG

20230716_150916.thumb.jpg.bdcbb9d4e471eb8d97d328dfd8884679.jpg

20230727_171144.thumb.jpg.b88456c891888605367744f56c6c42bd.jpg

I'm trying to find out where mine fits into the scheme of things, in case I sell it.

The bass is mint.

Unlike the manual ................ :drinks:

Yours is one of the Premium versions (there are also non-premium anniversary versions, which I believe are the ones you have seen with the chrome knobs).

The Premium version was offered with either a lacewood top (I have one) or cocobolo. Yours is most definitely a Premium, and you are correct as to the other characteristics. I have the 5 string lacewood version and it is my favourite bass of all time—enjoy!

• Like 1

Thanks.

I love the bass, but am starting to think I prefer humbuckers to singles, having acquired a SR600E.

Obviously, good as it is, the 600E can't compare to the 30th but I don't want to hack the 30th body.

I'm also starting to feel like I should consider selling stuff that's not really getting used anymore, as I don't gig anymore, health is not too good, and maybe it's time to "Thin the herd", as they say in the Other Place.

I still have the 5 string Premium to fall back on if I need that sound again. It's funny, I always thought if I was going to sell one of my Ibbys it would be the five, not the 30th.

Any idea how much these go for secondhand. It's in mint condition ?

I have an 80% off evilbay offer for this weekend, but if I do sell, I'd rather sell it here......if  :laugh1:

If I could just randomly find one of these in a forest, I’d join the club straight away.

539D56C0-13AD-42E2-94A0-B9978786AD06.thumb.jpeg.3e33dc385ba916100623e97285a16081.jpeg

Wanted one in the 80’s but never had the available money. And they don’t seem to be getting any cheaper now. My main acoustic is a 1985 Ibanez and it’s superb, a Blazer or Roadstar would compliment it nicely 👍

Edited by meterman
  • Like 5

On 28/07/2023 at 02:30, 2pods said:

even with soapbar pickups.

Which is what the Nords are.

6 hours ago, meterman said:

If I could just randomly find one of these in a forest, I’d join the club straight away.

My first bass was a Blazer (new in 83) and I copped a bit of rubbish at the time for it not being an F, but I could find no reason beyond name cache or snobbery then why? Having owned, many, many other basses in between, I still feel the same, and I sort of wish I had it back, though I hated the burst. I have an RB620 these days and is about the only 4 I want/need (mainly use 6s) so that's close enough, especially with the 2+2 headstock and natural body.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Likes a GSR200...

Walnut was my first Bass the Black was a bargain...

1993611511_GSRPair.thumb.jpg.25fd6aa01ba0c8bde9eaf09d5a7a96ac.jpg

And got my Son going...

MB.thumb.jpg.b5d6ba1855c52914f69c5d7e57f299ba.jpg

Gsr 200 and Cort Action walnut are two rare cases of cheap low weight Ibanez-shaped basses where one can just drop in a tonerider without having to figure out what to do with soapbars and preamp. I may have to buy one of those one day

• Like 1

Decided to pimp my nearly 19-year-old RD600 and boy am I happy with the results. Put in an Aguilar noiseless J4 neck pickup and MM4 pickup, OBP-3 with active/passive switch, mid/range control (push/pull), stacked treble/bass, and added passive tone control. The latter was honestly not a bad choice at all - sounds amazing and the passive control adds a lot, making it great both active/passive mode. Just waiting for my new stacked knob (the other size didn't fit on volume/tone)

IMG_20230811_130546.thumb.jpg.3f788f34ac8bf4ea4121871667fce76c.jpg

• Like 4