Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Owners Club

stewblack

I have a question for anyone playing modern metal/post metal on an Ibanez with Bartolini pickups. What are you using as a dirt pedal to get a really, clanky metal tone? 

I'm not quite getting there with a Darkglass B3K overdrive, Cali76 compressor and Two Notes Le Bass preamp. It's just not getting that really sharp bite to cut through the guitars. It worked with my P bass ok but not my SRMS805

Normal barts in normal ibanezes are standard sizes, but the 805 is different. I know nordstrand do some for it. When I had mine they had just come out and were expensive, but I suspect there are more people doing them now. That was eventually why I moved my 805 on, but this was a long time ago.

• Like 1

Here is a photo of me playing my long suffering Ibanez BTB775PB with the olde sweat in the eye live shot 

This was primary bass for 100's of shows until I jumped on it (and it threw down some stairs) when he top string fell off mid show and split it in half on the body. It sat in my loft in pieces for years until earlier this year my tech put it all back together for me and has returned to being my main drop B axe. Can't kill an Ibby 🤘

12107165_10153118953705811_3215463366656644292_n.jpg.e86d31bb1121daf621e2c10f71511813.jpg

9 hours ago, greentext said:

...until I jumped on it (and it threw down some stairs) when he top string fell off mid show and split it in half on the body.

Say what?

What on earth is this exactly supposed to mean?

You jumped on the bass, and /it fell?/ or /you threw it?/ down some stairs, because the top string had fallen off (snapped?) mid show, which split the body of the bass in half? (is that it?)

I am not trying to be snarky here, just genuinely can't make any sense of that sentence whatsoever.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I don't play metal but that is my problem with the licensed parts, to me I could never get any life out of them, they aren't like the genuine barts or the Nords in that regard.

Then they're not the same designs. Pickups are incredibly simple items. Once you have the design down, it makes no difference where and who makes the actual pickups.

Or, people are making decisions with their eyes, and it's not like that's ever happened in human history.

5 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Once you have the design down, it makes no difference where and who makes the actual pickups.

Pickups are one of the main things on how an electric instrument sounds. It’s the equivalent of an acoustic instrument’s tonewood. 
How a pickup is wound affects what it’ll sound like, as does what size/shape it is. 

Most manufacturers have different methods & materials. 
Then you have positioning. Both where they are between neck & bridge as well as distance from the strings. 

Swapping out my IBZ C4 PJ set for an Aguilar AW4 set changed the sound dramatically. 

Changing the preamp has a similar effect to changing your bass rig’s amp head. 

6 hours ago, crazycloud said:

Then they're not the same designs. Pickups are incredibly simple items. Once you have the design down, it makes no difference where and who makes the actual pickups.

Obviously they are not the same designs, or they would sound the same.

I used to think they were until I had actual barts on the 5005 and another bass I had and found they were night and day different.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Say what?

What on earth is this exactly supposed to mean?

You jumped on the bass, and /it fell?/ or /you threw it?/ down some stairs, because the top string had fallen off (snapped?) mid show, which split the body of the bass in half? (is that it?)

I am not trying to be snarky here, just genuinely can't make any sense of that sentence whatsoever.

Apologises it was late when I posted that and probabllyyyy wasnt really focusing haha 

Yes I did indeed jump on it, throw it down a set of stairs and these actions split the body in half. It was at a show and we arrived to SUPER late straight from work, and I hadnt restrung my bass, so we did it right before we went on in the carpark in the rain (another stupid idea but is what it is). The guitarist in my band at the time, was in charge of putting on the new strings while I took the old ones off. When he cut the B-string he cut it to short, so I got on stage, hit the opening note and the string fell off. So I quickly muted my gig and strung it back up in about 30-40 second and was in before the end of the song. Second song same thing, 30 seconds back in, by the third song I completely lost it and just threw the bass on the floor and jumped on it then threw it down some stairs and walked off. A moment of frustration for sure. Worth noting as well this was a metal show with everyone jumping around like crazy and wasnt uncommon to see instruments flying all over the place, I wasnt playing a wedding or anything like that. 

Edited by greentext
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, greentext said:

Here is a photo of me playing my long suffering Ibanez BTB775PB with the olde sweat in the eye live shot 

This was primary bass for 100's of shows until I jumped on it (and it threw down some stairs) when he top string fell off mid show and split it in half on the body. It sat in my loft in pieces for years until earlier this year my tech put it all back together for me and has returned to being my main drop B axe. Can't kill an Ibby 🤘

12107165_10153118953705811_3215463366656644292_n.jpg.e86d31bb1121daf621e2c10f71511813.jpg

Good story !!!🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I used to think they were until I had actual barts on the 5005 and another bass I had and found they were night and day different.

Same story with the Barts on the EHB1000S. Although to give Ibby their due, they do describe the pickups as Bartolini BH2s and I can’t find that model on the Bartolini website. The nearest I can see is the BC4C and that doesn’t sound as muddy to my ears. Perhaps they have a deal with Bart to use their discontinued designs under license. I suspect sourcing of components for Far Eastern manufacture is dictated by price, rather than a strict adherence to specification.

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Good lord, that's so true. You try actual Barts and you're immediately like 'oh, there you have it, that's that 90s fusion tone'. It's quite an uncanny feeling. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, xgsjx said:

How a pickup is wound affects what it’ll sound like, as does what size/shape it is. 

Most manufacturers have different methods & materials. 
Then you have positioning. Both where they are between neck & bridge as well as distance from the strings. 

And NONE of that relates to what I actually posted, which was around the manufacture of a specific design. I know how pickups are wound, as well as how to design them.

14 minutes ago, crazycloud said:

And NONE of that relates to what I actually posted, which was around the manufacture of a specific design. I know how pickups are wound, as well as how to design them.

Which in itself didnt relate to what I posted, which was that ibanez license pickups don't sound anything like any of the batolini pickups, where they are licencing the name. But I thought I would let it go.

And no, it has nothing to do with 'listening with your eyes' - I got rid of my 805 as the bass didn't work for me with the pickups it had, even though the bass was good. The main problem was that the only people at the time who did a replacement pickup that would have made it work for me was Nordstrand, who did a custom wind in that size for close to £350, and I couldn't justify that cost on a bass which cost me just over £600, when I had several other ibanezes.

I tried a little wiring alteration on my SRMS805 this morning. This boosts the preamp output by 6db. It's sounding a bit less thin without having to boost everything to max. 

I found out about it through a video by Low End Lobster on YouTube, he did it to his EHB1005 (same preamp)

All I did was unplug the wires from the far right block and move them to the next one on the left. The photo is after the change. 

20230902_133203

• Like 2