Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

Just traded some 5 strings that I really wasn't playing enough and fancied an 'investment piece'. Pretty happy, a '78 USA Jazz. Quite heavy like a lot of them were, I had a '76 once and that was as heavy. To be fair my Elite isn't that far behind it. Anyway, colour?? Who knows...nearer Tropical Turquoise off the Fender colour chart. Pretty mint and plays nice, has the 70's slap tone when you hit it. Anyone know the colour for sure or have any other ideas??

Jazz1.jpg

jazz2.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dan_thebassman said:

Just traded some 5 strings that I really wasn't playing enough and fancied an 'investment piece'. Pretty happy, a '78 USA Jazz. Quite heavy like a lot of them were, I had a '76 once and that was as heavy. To be fair my Elite isn't that far behind it. Anyway, colour?? Who knows...nearer Tropical Turquoise off the Fender colour chart. Pretty mint and plays nice, has the 70's slap tone when you hit it. Anyone know the colour for sure or have any other ideas??

Jazz1.jpg

jazz2.jpg

Probably Maui Blue from the international colour range?

Edited by bakerster135
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, dan_thebassman said:

Jazz1.jpg

jazz2.jpg

Lovely 👍, really like that colour and it looks in great condition 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulThePlug said:

4671... could it be week 46 (Nov) of 1971?..

What is on the neck butt, you say very little... but?

I have left the neck down with the tech to sort out the stiff truss rod but there was only one tiny smudge so hoping that the 4671 is the date

18 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Can anyone recommend a book about vintage Fender basses? I’d like history, timelines, details of features and changes as they evolved, and lots and lots of lovely pictures.

Ta,

Rob

‘The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History’ is the one to get. I think it’s out of print, but available used… if a little pricey.

Be warned though… it will make you covet expensive things.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

‘The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History’ is the one to get. I think it’s out of print, but available used… if a little pricey.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&tn=The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History

Not that expensive on Abe Books.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

Can anyone recommend a book about vintage Fender basses? I’d like history, timelines, details of features and changes as they evolved, and lots and lots of lovely pictures.

Ta,

Rob

This is a great site - http://vintagebassworld.com/description.php?manufacturer=Fender&product=Precision&year=0

My favourite book about Fender history is Fender the Golden Age, it’s not specifically about basses. But the golden era ones ate there, and the history is excellent. 
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=fender+the+golden+age&adgrpid=137332748607&hvadid=583480889248&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9045969&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=5628150757361082045&hvtargid=kwd-301829152221&hydadcr=17321_1802374&tag=hydrukspg-21&ref=pd_sl_30uov4oni5_e

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I bought Geddy's book. Ended up costing me thousands.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1