Why become a member? ×

6 hours ago, bnt said:

Another new (?) entry which I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the Rapier Saffire reissue, 31-inch scale, which is distributed by JHS with a RRP of £479. The ‘60s original was a WEM product, I get some Burns vibes from it. 

Thanks for the heads-up, very interesting! My first bass was a blue Watkins Rapier bought new circa 1966 for around 30 quid. I'm tempted by this one...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bertbass said:

I bought one new lefthanded in 1970, from Bell's catalogue and if I remember correctly, it wasn't bad.  Apparently, they are going to make a lefthanded Saffire. If they do, I'll have one.

They do a lefty of the guitar version too (the Rapier 33, with three humbuckers). Looks really cool, and has some interesting sounds on tap. If there's going to be a lefty bass version, I may need to check it out :o

Edited by LeftyJ

On 21/04/2023 at 08:24, bnt said:

Another new (?) entry which I haven’t seen mentioned yet is the Rapier Saffire reissue, 31-inch scale, which is distributed by JHS with a RRP of £479. The ‘60s original was a WEM product, I get some Burns vibes from it. 

Now I’ve got GAS! I’m telling myself it’s in the same space as the Acinonyx and that is already occupied.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Obrienp said:

Now I’ve got GAS! I’m telling myself it’s in the same space as the Acinonyx and that is already occupied.

The Saffire will definitely be chunkier (43mm nut width) and heavier. I've messaged about the weight but not had a reply yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

The Saffire will definitely be chunkier (43mm nut width) and heavier. I've messaged about the weight but not had a reply yet.

I didn’t notice the nut width: well spotted. That reduces the GAS a bit and if it turns out to be heavy as well, even more so. I’ve come to the conclusion that Jazz width, or less, is the ideal for my dodgy left hand. Heavy is definitely off the menu as well.

• Like 1

I played the Lionel in anger for the first time today.

Lovely to play, but I’m definitely swapping to flats for this bass.

As good as it sounds with steel rounds it’s just wrong to play Duck Dunn parts without thumpy flats! :D 

I might try some of the Fender flats. Never tried them before.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2023 at 00:24, bnt said:

That's the longest short scale that I can recall seeing (but it's on the internet, so it must be true...).  Note also that the upper horn only comes to the 15th fret, so the overall reach to the first fret might be a bit dicey.

I’m getting tempted to get a JMJ as a backup for my 66. For keeping flats on. Now that the 66 has rounds I think they’re staying, it just growls and has so much punch, and with the pickups blended it has a really sweet J bass slap sound which I couldn’t believe came from this bass!

I think Gear4music sell the JMJ but not sure if you can order one in to try, or a couple, and choose the best.. would be nice to do that if poss. Sounds like they’re pretty consistent through although I gather there were some issues with incorrectly offset (or not) saddles early on, with some reporting their bridge being slightly off centre to compensate. 

10 hours ago, Rocket Queen said:

That's the longest short scale that I can recall seeing (but it's on the internet, so it must be true...).  Note also that the upper horn only comes to the 15th fret, so the overall reach to the first fret might be a bit dicey.

It does have 25 frets, with really great upper frets access, which would make the neck actually longer, but also seem longer, say compared to the only 19 frets of a Fender Mustang, which have pretty poor upper frets access.

Then add to that the bridge placement, further from the edge of the body, with more body behind it, which adds to the overall length of the bass, but not to the actual scale length.

Also looking at the length of string space between bridge/saddles to where the neck ends short scale does seem right.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

21 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

It does have 25 frets, with really great upper frets access, which would make the neck actually longer, but also seem longer, say compared to the only 19 frets of a Fender Mustang, which have pretty poor upper frets access.

Then add to that the bridge placement, further from the edge of the body, with more body behind it.

Also looking at the length of string space between bridge/saddles to neck beginning short scale does seem right.

I already thought this through and realise that the extended reach to F1 and possible neck dive are potential issues for me. If they do turn out to be problems but I like everything else about the bass, my plan is to rout a pocket into the the back of the body to accept a flush-mounted strap-lock socket set into the left wall of the cavity. The repositioned strap mount would then be located between the OE bottom strap button and the thru-body string anchors, as close to the anchors as possible.

1 hour ago, ped said:

I’m getting tempted to get a JMJ as a backup for my 66. For keeping flats on. Now that the 66 has rounds I think they’re staying, it just growls and has so much punch, and with the pickups blended it has a really sweet J bass slap sound which I couldn’t believe came from this bass!

I think Gear4music sell the JMJ but not sure if you can order one in to try, or a couple, and choose the best.. would be nice to do that if poss. Sounds like they’re pretty consistent through although I gather there were some issues with incorrectly offset (or not) saddles early on, with some reporting their bridge being slightly off centre to compensate. 

The JMJ is a fantastic bass and more than justifies the hype it recieves. But as for flats, I felt that it sounded a little suffocated with the stock Fender flats, which from what I've read are pretty bright as far as flats go, but once it was strung with a set of rounds it really came to life. More detail and clarity as you'd expect but still with that short scale thump. Rounds also help accentuate that Precision-esque low mid thump too, IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ped said:

12 minutes ago, Osiris said:

The JMJ is a fantastic bass and more than justifies the hype it recieves. But as for flats, I felt that it sounded a little suffocated with the stock Fender flats, which from what I've read are pretty bright as far as flats go, but once it was strung with a set of rounds it really came to life. More detail and clarity as you'd expect but still with that short scale thump. Rounds also help accentuate that Precision-esque low mid thump too, IMO. 

I quite liked the Fender flats that it came with, although they were a little wooly, although not in a bad way. I fitted my preferred EB Cobalt flats (I know folk have had spot issues with these but, apart from a free set I had during their GG promo a while back, I've been lucky) and they sound and feel better than the Fenders to me. However, I read a lot about fitting roundwounds to Mustangs and went with the D’Addario XLs, which were OK and nicely middy, if a little rough, but eventually I went back to the Cobalts and, to my ears at least, are just as good in the mix and are far more comfy to my fingers. Owners talk about how good the neck and pickup are on the JMJ and they are exceptional, but I feel that the tone control doesn't get enough kudos. It's the only control I've had that matches the one on my old '63 P bass for having so much versatility and varied tonal points. This may have much to do with the interaction with the pickup, rather than just a stand alone component, but all I know is that it works really well; snappy Foxton type tone to dub reggae and all stops in between.

Everyone seems to love the JMJ, so I went and tried one in Merchant City in Glasgow. BUT, the neck dive was pretty bad. How normal is that? It strikes me that the geometry of the Mustang body (re strap button position in relation to the 12th fret) makes this more or less inevitable? Or am I wrong? I didn’t love the lack of body contours either I have to say. (I did really like the chunky neck though). 

I wanted to love it, but these things just put me off.  Is it possible to get a balanced (and body-contoured) Mustang 😃. Too much to hope for? Probably just not the bass for me…. 

9 minutes ago, dmckee said:

Everyone seems to love the JMJ, so I went and tried one in Merchant City in Glasgow. BUT, the neck dive was pretty bad. How normal is that? It strikes me that the geometry of the Mustang body (re strap button position in relation to the 12th fret) makes this more or less inevitable? Or am I wrong? I didn’t love the lack of body contours either I have to say. (I did really like the chunky neck though). 

I wanted to love it, but these things just put me off.  Is it possible to get a balanced (and body-contoured) Mustang 😃. Too much to hope for? Probably just not the bass for me…. 

I've not noticed any neck dive with mine and I've done plenty of gigs with it. But I do use a wide leather strap (around 100mm or 4" ) with suede backing which is very grippy and holds the bass in position. But I can't vouch for how it would balance with straps made from other materials. 

But I know what you mean about the lack of body contours but I find it comfortable and haven't had any issues playing it either seated or on a strap. For the record I have my strap length adjusted so that the bass sits in the same position when standing as when seated so it's sitting over my lower ribs. You may need to adjust your right hand position a touch due to the lack of a front contour but that only took me a couple of minutes to get used to. 

On 23/04/2023 at 11:37, ped said:

Sounds like they’re pretty consistent through although I gather there were some issues with incorrectly offset (or not) saddles early on, with some reporting their bridge being slightly off centre to compensate. 

Mine had a problem with the ‘A’ saddle, I think on the early ones they were wound pretty far out for some reason (screw incorrect length) and it fell off mid gig never to be seen again. FMC sent me another one gratis and all has been good since. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dmckee said:

I’m pretty sensitive to neck dive but it’s not so bad on mine, maybe there’s a bit of variation? It tends to want to hang at the 3 o clock position which I’d expected as it’s a thicker headstock/chunky neck. I use a non grippy 3” strap and that handles it fine.

To be honest the neck dive on this mustang is far better than the CIJ one that it replaced…but not as good as my Mikey Way which is a bit heavier (basswood body).

Edited by martthebass

13 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Got a SBMM Stingray shorty arriving this week. Any recommendations for good hard cases for these? Thanks

I had one and IIRC it was a good fit in my Gator Fender Jag case, which seemed to fit every s-s bass I've ever had.

I'll post a pic with dim's when I get a minute.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1