Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, basstone said:

I've had this Lion branded hollow body short scale bass for many years. It has a lovely woody full tone  which works well for the jazz gigs I do and a really fast narrow neck.  It's also very light indeed. I've never been able to find out much about it so wondered if anyone  else has one or knows anything about them?

IMG_7631.thumb.jpg.84abfbd6238898552846eaecdf8e9320.jpg

IMG_7633.thumb.jpg.32054409fae8bb53bdaa872659860416.jpg

IMG_7632.thumb.jpg.7610b35208cd56bdd3bf39f7bc5b141b.jpg

This listing is saying "Lion Foreign was one of the Export brands of the Egmond Guitar Co. from Sweden"

https://reverb.com/ca/item/32620520-egmond-lion-foreign-teardrop-1960-redburst

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 20:06, Che said:

Let me degrade this thread with my Harley Benton Shorty P bass :D 

All stock! Rumbles nicely in my home studio. But I’m no bass player so can’t tell if it’s really good or just average. 

0166B1CF-CA23-4F44-904D-9ABC851F454D.thumb.jpeg.7f0f09aeaa3b9c83365a1a873ed38bd1.jpeg

6 hours ago, Che said:

It’s not shielded so hums when I don’t touch metal parts but other than that … 

Short Demo of me P bass shorty

It's a great bass, regardless of price, and even the stock pickup, which is otherwise often cheap budget basses greatest shortcoming, sounds genuinely great.

No need to be ashamed of that.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rumple said:

Epiphone to revive the 30.5 inch scale Newport bass.

Kinda like it except the body looks upside down 😕

image.thumb.png.fb80ab88a37aa753bca729a85e4f0d82.png

Just ordered mine, will be here tomorrow!!

I have been waiting years for Epiphone to re-issue the Newporter.

I owned one in 1969 and traded in for a Gibson EB3 which I still own.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, neepheid said:

You would have preferred if they had reissued/reimagined the post '63 Newport then...

image.thumb.png.b2e91f2771e011f03d398e4ca0f517c0.png 

(picture lifted from flyguitars.com)

Nope, the "batwing" headstock was very heavy and caused quite a bit of neck dive. Easy to cure with an appropriate strap but I feel that the 2 + 2 headstock is more pleasing to the eye and way more practicable. Intonation will be interesting ?? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rumple said:

Epiphone to revive the 30.5 inch scale Newport bass.

Kinda like it except the body looks upside down 😕

image.thumb.png.fb80ab88a37aa753bca729a85e4f0d82.png

3 hours ago, grayn said:

They look really cool, IMO.

Neport - 4o0a9728_8e761c362c.jpg

Looks great.

Though I do wonder if they have decided where exactly to place that bridge pickup, or if that is supposed to be a random surprise feature, different on all units.

And that tiny piece of pickguard to me kind of looks a bit random and misplaced. 

Also this, in my opinion, looks even greater, and also seems to have a slightly more narrow neck, which for me is a plus too:

2 hours ago, neepheid said:

You would have preferred if they had reissued/reimagined the post '63 Newport then...

image.thumb.png.b2e91f2771e011f03d398e4ca0f517c0.png 

(picture lifted from flyguitars.com)

In any case the really poor upper frets access and the far neck position mudbucker pickup makes it an absolute no go for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Looks great.

And that tiny piece of pickguard to me just looks totally random and misplaced. 

In any case the really poor upper fret access and the neck position mudbucker pickup makes it an absolute no go for me.

My thoughts exactly. Similar to the Aria Pro ll DMB.

Aria Pro ll DMB

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grenadillabama said:

The pickup placement might make a ton of bass, like a Gibson EB-O. A bass needs some twang or bite. This one seems like an econo EB-3. Good to learn on probably.

I would go for the DiMarzio Model One, or the Billy Sheehan version (DiMarzio 120 I think), which I have in a parts bass I built. Much less muddy than the Gibson but I think the Billy Sheehan one may have  been discontinued. Somebody might have old stock though.

Would be easy enough to get a 'batwing' pickguard and have the neck pickup relocated towards the middle (like some later EB0/3 models) or get the neck pickup rewound to a lower impedance.  Where is the brown / walnut colour one? not that I need another bass.

7 minutes ago, 3below said:

Would be easy enough to get a 'batwing' pickguard and have the neck pickup relocated towards the middle (like some later EB0/3 models) or get the neck pickup rewound to a lower impedance.  Where is the brown / walnut colour one? not that I need another bass.

I don't know if I'd call that easy, sounds rather circumstantial to me, and kind of expensive as well (unless one got the tools needed and know how to do so themself, which I am pretty certain most people don't), and like one might as well buy a different bass that fits their preferences better.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

I don't know if I'd call that easy, sounds rather circumstantial to me, and kind of expensive as well (unless one got the tools needed and know how to do so themself, which I am pretty certain most people don't), and like one might as well buy a different bass that fits their preferences better.

Easy if you can DIY or have sufficient funds to pay someone, otherwise it is as you say :)