Why become a member? ×

3 hours ago, dmckee said:

Just in case anyone’s as obsessed as me (😬), GuitarGuitar have a G&L Fallout Fullerton Deluxe in shell pink (as featured in a Bass Whisperer review) coming in next week hopefully. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210309367407025--gl-usa-fullerton-deluxe-fallout-bass-shell-pink-rosewood-finger

They also have a grey pearl one coming in, but my name’s against that. 😃

Looks like they've got the pricing about right now; it's priced a fair bit below the US Mustang.  Love my Fallout launch edition, it's a different flavour to a Mustang that expands the pallet.  Not played a Tribute so can't really say how much better the US ones are over the far east versions, not got any issues with my US one though, construction/fit/finish is up with EBMM.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dmckee said:

Just in case anyone’s as obsessed as me (😬), GuitarGuitar have a G&L Fallout Fullerton Deluxe in shell pink (as featured in a Bass Whisperer review) coming in next week hopefully. 

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210309367407025--gl-usa-fullerton-deluxe-fallout-bass-shell-pink-rosewood-finger

They also have a grey pearl one coming in, but my name’s against that. 😃

Look out for a Wilcock MM coming to the marketplace perhaps? ;) 

Sure something has been posted previously but didn't find it on a cursory glance....but, looking for a different sound on my JMJ Mustang from the current Fender Flats, just for a bit of a change.  A bit more definition and punch and a bit less tension.  Any experiences out there to share?  

10 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Sure something has been posted previously but didn't find it on a cursory glance....but, looking for a different sound on my JMJ Mustang from the current Fender Flats, just for a bit of a change.  A bit more definition and punch and a bit less tension.  Any experiences out there to share?  

EB Cobalt flats are my go to on all my basses and they sound mighty fine on my JMJ.

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Try some rounds on the JMJ, it makes a huge difference compared to the stock flats IMO. I don't really like flats in general but the ones that came with the JMJ aren't as lifeless as some that I've tried... But once I put a set of rounds on the bass really came alive, you still have that rubbery low end things but much more clarity and articulation in the upper mids and high end. Much more of a classic Precision sound 😎

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Does the string cope with being bent round the tuning head?

I thought normal scale flats on a shorty could end up failing at the tuner?

Nope, no problem at all, or on my shorty ‘Ray. I assume that as the capstans are of the thicker variety, there is less strain. When I’ve removed them from my long scale basses that have skinny capstans, I have had breakage there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

Try some rounds on the JMJ, it makes a huge difference compared to the stock flats IMO. I don't really like flats in general but the ones that came with the JMJ aren't as lifeless as some that I've tried... But once I put a set of rounds on the bass really came alive, you still have that rubbery low end things but much more clarity and articulation in the upper mids and high end. Much more of a classic Precision sound 😎

Have you any suggestions in terms of gauge/brand?

Just now, martthebass said:

I was thinking of Cobalts but after the recent comments regarding these having a tendency to 'rust' it put me off them.

The rust saga seems to be a bit of a lottery, I’ve been lucky with only one spot, which was on a free set.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, martthebass said:

Have you any suggestions in terms of gauge/brand?

I use D'Addario Nickel 50-105 guage. They're 34" scale strings but with the through-body stringing it's only really another wrap of the string around the machine head post thingy. I've been doing this for years, only because I have a job lot of 34" strings, and have never had any trouble with intonation or strings breaking. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, martthebass said:

I've got Status half wound on my Mustang. Might just be what you're looking for,  and not too expensive. 

• Like 1

I hope I haven't already posted this! My head is pretty busy these days, could really use a vacation, or something... Anyway here we go:

My second ever bass was an old, poorly-entreated Gibson EB-0. Long story, but my dad and I refinished it during a visit, and it was a great bass. After the re-fin I had a DiMarzio Model One p'up installed. That bass was perfect for me at the time.

I sold it, nevermind that part.

Recently I found this, a MIJ Epiphone EB-3 Elite. I got it for a nice price, and I dig it a lot. Fit and finish are really good, and I somehow have an appreciation for the "finely built heavy blunt instrument" aspects.

I'm playing it with a small cover outfit, and really like the "just fun" aspect. I'm in another band, original, that's the intense one...

Here's the lil' beastie...

IMG_20220915_210230543.thumb.jpg.88eee58136feeff6276869203896881d.jpg

IMG_20220915_210249923.thumb.jpg.45500892a1e21944ae61105fb46a92ed.jpg

Tombstone headstock, particular to the Japan-built EB-3...

IMG_20220915_210323926.thumb.jpg.78a721f2b62558ddf974ea452ff6d2c0.jpg

With the taller cousin...

1672383028_IMG_20220915_2107462682.thumb.jpg.b5b8c22f7c82bdbf06e6bb830b7b4535.jpg

I put a Model One p'up in this one too. Turns out the Epiphone pickup had a bad winding or some other issue, probably a shorted circuit, which had brought the resistance down to about 1+ ohms. The Model One is more like 11+, and it sounds beautiful. And it's really a fun player! 

If you can get on with a neck like an old stair railing, it's a really fun bass.

Sire U5 (technically only a Jazz in looks, as it has a P pickup in the neck position). 

Rockbass (Warwick) Corvette shortscale. 

Atelier Z Baby Z-4J (not cheap, and basically only available on the Japanese domestic market). 

Fender Modern Player Short Scale Jazz (also a PJ).

Or, coolest of all: Fender Japan Junior Jazz (also Japan-only, but does pop up once in a while). 

Edited by LeftyJ
  • Like 1

Any tips for a Bronco bass (Squier) replacement pickup? Heaps of info out there I know, but a lot from the 00s. I will most likely get the wiring upgrade kit, but not sure if I would go 130 quid for the McNelly pickup. Anything cheaper but geared for bass? (HB or single coul even). Strat pickups work obvously. I do have a JB Junior neck p90 pickup for a strat, but no idea how that would sound on a bass... 

20 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Any tips for a Bronco bass (Squier) replacement pickup? Heaps of info out there I know, but a lot from the 00s. I will most likely get the wiring upgrade kit, but not sure if I would go 130 quid for the McNelly pickup. Anything cheaper but geared for bass? (HB or single coul even). Strat pickups work obvously. I do have a JB Junior neck p90 pickup for a strat, but no idea how that would sound on a bass... 

Not dirt cheap, but the Creamery do a pickup specifically for the Bronco: Creamery pickups

Edited by Rageofklugman
Typo
  • Like 1