Why become a member? ×

24 minutes ago, meterman said:

Sorry to hear it might not work out for you with the VM Mustang, I really liked mine. Hope you find the perfect S S bass for you 👍

I’m not giving up just yet. It is fun to play. I’d love to swap out my sunburst for a black one though. Or the FSR Candy Apple Red which is even rarer

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Waddycall said:

Here you go-

A269892C-6CE2-4814-A55B-0CAD998D38A6.thumb.jpeg.2211bc53c98e02a696b5e8fa22bc4751.jpeg

And the original frilly Austin powers trim for comparison-44111ABF-3560-4169-A8EF-6252A1D176A2.thumb.jpeg.0ee10c78923c23c2224752d6869747a0.jpeg 

Nice. Looks similar to my Squier VM Mustang, which has a maple neck. I always prefer black plates. Like the lollipop tuners. Whilst it's hard to tone down the silver with that massive bridge, I had some black pickguard screws which I used on the black plate, looks good. 

I guess there is a shielding issue with mine too, as there is a buzz. Obviously it goes away when touching the strings, but I'd rather it wasn't there at all. Noisy tone pot too (not that I ever use it, stays fully open), so may get the pots replaced or a new loom put in. The bridge saddles are a bit wonky on mine, not sure if this is deliberate, or if I should level them off. 

I also got some medium scale strings on the way, which I only learned after fitting shorts, are needed for string thru Mustangs. Oh well. You learn something new every day. 

Edited by dmc79
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

That looks perfect!  Did you put the lollipops on yourself or are they standard on what ever model that is?  Lollipops just work on everything!

Hipshot lollipops (should be a band name)  are standard on this model - it’s a MIM Vintera -

https://www.fender.com/en-GB/electric-basses/mustang-bass/vintera-60s-mustang-bass/0149653300.html

• Like 1

Interesting to note the changes in the Mustang body shape over the years. There’s a lot more body behind the bridge now, whereas there was only a very small area before, accentuated only by the slightly more offset shape at the back than there is now. It probably means less neck dive, though my Squier has such a light body it dives anyway (not that I mind) but my Fender feels balanced. 

Here’s a graphic I found. I’m sure it’s not 100% true to scale and angle but you can see what I mean. Btw I’m not sure the ‘66 is accurate as they didn’t come in blue and the earliest ones have a more offset shape like the bass in the middle. 

I might be wrong but it also seems that the new Squier mustangs with the competition stripes have less rounded body edges than the CV Squiers without the stripes?

image.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

After my scale length rookie error the other day, I’ve got the medium scales on the Mustang now. As the short scale strings are as good as new, I may as well keep them as spares, for in case I end up with another shorty, or sell them. 

I just realised that I’ve never actually taken strings off before with the intention of reusing them, I normally just cut them off (after detuning of course). Stupid question alert: how the hell are you supposed to curl the strings back up to pack away / sell? Every time I try they just pop out again. What’s the trick to it? Thanks

AAA3F5D4-6000-408C-8756-B52D8C156865.thumb.jpeg.288aa87828da2f43fd7d80d28a9a3aad.jpeg

Edited by dmc79

On 25/08/2022 at 13:43, whave said:

I had ordered a brand new one a few weeks ago and made a post about how absolutely terrible it was before sending it back (it's somewhere in my post history). Whatever can go wrong on a cheapo bass went wrong there, it was not just slightly damaged and bad quality in general, but it had some major issues like a bridge where you can't get low action at all.

Basically my £150 Ibanez was running circles around the £630 Sterling in build quality. And my Ibanez was far from perfect.

Now I have a second hand one that I bought here, and that's completely fine! Although the fretwork is still sub-par compared to the Ibanez. I have some sharp edges, and with semi-low action there is some serious buzz around the highest frets, which does not happen on the Ibanez where the action is even lower.

I finally got to try a SS Sterling Ray last weekend, one of the new black/maple ones. After all the glowing reviews and demos online, I was pretty shocked at the lacklustre build quality. Sure it played and sounded pretty good, but it felt... cheap. The knobs in particular were shockingly flimsy, loose and wobbling everywhere. The pickup selector felt kind of 'spongy' with a huge amount of mushy play between the clicks, felt like it was about to break in my hands.

The neck too was no more than functional. It reminded me most of the neck on my son's Squier Affinity Jazzmaster HH - completely unfinished and not in a good way, like some kind of cheap uncompleted neck blank with no finesse about it and a hard corner on to the fretboard. I'm biased against maple boards anyway so I'll let that bit go, but compared to this the neck profile on my Gretsch G2220 is a work of art. 

Despite that, it sounded good and actually felt fine and easy to play with a comfortable body, and the weight felt less than I'd feared, but there is no way on earth I'd part with £749 for the specimen I tested. I noted afterwards that these are a lot less in the US, currently $599, equivalent to £520. I think they launched more equivalent to around the £450 mark. We're being completely gouged on these over here. I honestly don't think they'd have been initially reviewed half so well if the Americans were getting them at our current equivalent of $800-$860, they're just not worth it. I think I'll be keeping my eye out for a well priced 2nd hand rosewood one.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 25/08/2022 at 14:05, Obrienp said:

There have been some adverse comments around the forums.

I have the Vox Starstream H1 (passive) and it does the ‘Ray thing pretty well for less than a Sterling SS and everybody notices it at a gig (if you like that). Mine is very nicely made. Only real issue with it is not being able to fit the usual culprits in strap locks: you have to use those rubber washer things. Otherwise it is extremely light, ergonomic and balances OK on a strap.

I love the look of those genuine EB Ray short scales but the money they charge for them is just gouging the punters in my view. Even the Sterling’s are over-priced compared to their 34” offerings.

In light of my experience with the Sterling SS described in my previous post, I've been looking at the Vox Starstream 1H again, with the Artist version being available for a similar price to the Sterling.  How exactly does the non-Artist version differ? I guess it doesn't have the Aguilar and Gotoh hardware, but what's the setup with it? Is it all passive with just a straightforward volume & tone? How are the ergonomics and how have you found it compares sound wise (I guess I'm asking with regard to 'Rays more than anything else)? Do you feel like you'd prefer the option of it being active?

Part of wanting the SS Sterling was the appeal of a passive Stingray. I'm in love with Paul Denman's dark mellow 'Ray tone on the early Sade records, I'd love a lightweight SS bass that can sound like that!

Edited by RichT
deleted extraneous word

@RichT I still think the recent quality drop might be something to do with Covid impacting instrument manufacturing in countries like Indonesia, where these are made. Reviews from a few years ago rarely say it's as terrible as you and me have experienced.

The 2nd hand one I mentioned earlier I bought here for £490, a more reasonable price and it's in near-perfect condition (as you can see from my recent tacky photos), apart from a slightly bent tone knob. I am loving it (the feel, the sound, the SUSTAIN!!!) but I STILL do not feel it's THAT much better than my £150 Ibanez. The D machine head is not great, and the rest sometimes lose the tuning as well. I'll replace them with Schallers, that worked wonders on the Ibanez, barely need to tune it, they're ridiculously stable with the cobalt flats.

It feels like they just overcharge you for a £300 Sterling, because it's a shorty. But if you really, really want a shortie Stingray, are ready to pay the price, and ready to try a few till you get one with only a few issues, you can still love it :) I do.

Keeping an eye for a good 2nd hand one is really the best way to go with these.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RichT said:

there is no way on earth I'd part with £749 for the specimen I tested. I noted afterwards that these are a lot less in the US, currently $599, equivalent to £520. I think they launched more equivalent to around the £450 mark. We're being completely gouged on these over here.

Some places have the short Stingrays for £700, but even that sounds a lot based on your description. I can’t be certain but weren’t they nearer £600 a while back?

I was looking at some notes I wrote a good few months ago when I first started looking into SS, and the Schecter Banshee has also gone up £100 from what it was then, to around £760. I guess unless you’re absolutely certain what you’re wanting, the frustrating waiting game of buying used comes into play. 

I haven’t seen much mention of the Banshee over here, but it seems to be well made with good components from what I can gather. I’m not sure what I make of the Tele looks and mini pickguard, but it least it’s something a bit different. Never see them coming up used. Anyone tried them?

Just now, dmc79 said:

Some places have the short Stingrays for £700, but even that sounds a lot based on your description. I can’t be certain but weren’t they nearer £600 a while back?

Thomann was stocking them for like £570 for a while, now they've raised the prices to £700 as well.

I bought my crappy one for £610 back in the spring (May) that got returned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whave said:

It feels like they just overcharge you for a £300 Sterling, because it's a shorty.

That is exactly what it feels like. At the price point I was expecting a step up from the SUB level, but seems that's essentially what they are. 

51 minutes ago, dmc79 said:

Yeah this was in PMT Bristol, being the only place I'd been for months with one in stock. They'd probably have price matched if I'd asked as they're £699 most places online. I'd happily pay it if the quality was there but sadly it was way off the mark on this one. I went in expecting to love it to bits and was really quite surprised at what I found.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichT said:

In light of my experience with the Sterling SS described in my previous post, I've been looking at the Vox Starstream 1H again, with the Artist version being available for a similar price to the Sterling.  How exactly does the non-Artist version differ? I guess it doesn't have the Aguilar and Gotoh hardware, but what's the setup with it? Is it all passive with just a straightforward volume & tone? How are the ergonomics and how have you found it compares sound wise (I guess I'm asking with regard to 'Rays more than anything else)? Do you feel like you'd prefer the option of it being active?

Part of wanting the SS Sterling was the appeal of a passive Stingray. I'm in love with Paul Denman's dark mellow 'Ray tone on the early Sade records, I'd love a lightweight SS bass that can sound like that!

The passive Starstream just has standard part bin hardware. The machine heads are Gotoh like. They look the ones used on the Gretsch G2220 and the ones on mine function fine. The nut is bone. Bridge as I said is fairly standard Fender 5 hole pattern. Chunkier than the one on the Gretsch and easily replaced with a Fender high mass (which is what I did), although not really necessary. No clues as to manufacturer of the pickup but it looks pretty standard Ray style. The electronics have a push/pull volume to switch between parallel and series mode but no coil tap. Passive tone control. Pots are usual Chinese issue and 250k to my surprise. 

The neck has a Jazz width nut and and is pretty shallow. It’s really fast and easy on arthritic hands (I like it a lot). The back is finished in a very light layer of satin and the board looks like Rosewood but I have my doubts at the price point. Ergonomics are brilliant. It’s really comfortable standing or sitting and it balances fine on a strap. It really is light too. The fit and finish on mine is good but I can’t speak for them all. Vox originally had them priced pretty high and then brought them down in price. A bargain IMO but you have to like different.

• Thanks 1

The knobs on the ‘Ray SS are a weird one. They’ve clearly just been put on any old how and not tightened correctly. I think this is partly down to using grub screw knobs are smaller, split shafted pots. It takes a little time to get on straight, tight and without the grub screw tightening on the split and Sterling are clearly just chucking the knobs on and knocking the basses out as quickly as possible.

As to pricing, they do seem over priced here and have gone up recently, especially compared to the ‘Ray24, with it being a smaller bass with passive electronics compared to its bigger siblings. However, with regard to prices overseas, are the prices quoted in the US inclusive of their local taxes?  

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

As to pricing, they do seem over priced here and have gone up recently, especially compared to the ‘Ray24, with it being a smaller bass with passive electronics compared to its bigger siblings. However, with regard to prices overseas, are the prices quoted in the US inclusive of their local taxes?  

US prices are never quoted with taxes, because it makes it more fun that way. Also you pay different taxes in different places, however you can buy them without taxes in the right places and even when you do, the taxes aren't that high.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

Both the Music Man SS and the Sterling SS models are overpriced compared to their full scale siblings in any market IMO. They may be a smaller production run but the differential is just too wide to be justified by that alone. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Obrienp said:

Vox originally had them priced pretty high and then brought them down in price. A bargain IMO but you have to like different.

That's all fantastically useful information thank you. I do like different, my only bass for an awful long time was my Hohner B2A stick (well after/before they were cool 😉), and after being fascinated by the oddness of Ibanez EHB's since they launched I finally but the bullet and bought at 1505 a few months ago. It's the first 5 string I've ever bonded with and felt comfortable playing, now I wonder what took me so long. 

I've currently got the same fascination with the strangeness of the Starstream, and knowing it ticks all the boxes of being an affordable lightweight short scale that offers the 'Ray-esque sound, I may succumb sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

US prices are never quoted with taxes, because it makes it more fun that way. Also you pay different taxes in different places, however you can buy them without taxes in the right places and even when you do, the taxes aren't that high.

Thanks for that clarification. Therefore, without VAT, a blue or white shorty ‘Ray in the UK would be £560 (or thereabouts). Why the black one commands the extra £50 remains a mystery. Is black paint and a tort p/g that much more expensive? 

1 hour ago, RichT said:

That's all fantastically useful information thank you. I do like different, my only bass for an awful long time was my Hohner B2A stick (well after/before they were cool 😉), and after being fascinated by the oddness of Ibanez EHB's since they launched I finally but the bullet and bought at 1505 a few months ago. It's the first 5 string I've ever bonded with and felt comfortable playing, now I wonder what took me so long. 

I've currently got the same fascination with the strangeness of the Starstream, and knowing it ticks all the boxes of being an affordable lightweight short scale that offers the 'Ray-esque sound, I may succumb sooner rather than later. 

You are welcome.

I can’t really say how Ray-esque it sounds, as I have only played a real Ray once briefly in a shop. However, the pickup is a full size Ray style brute, so it must be close, although the amount of wood in the body is pretty small, which must affect the tone a bit. That said, I have had some positive comments about the tone when I have used it a blues jam. I take it along to tease the purists who believe a Precision is the only bass for blues. Several people have said that the Starstream really cuts through and is the only bass that is not an indistinct rumble in that particular function room (it’s a very boomy room). I am assuming that means it’s got that Ray mid-presence.

I wouldn’t take my word for it though. I would try before you buy if you can. The ergonomics, which come from the diminished size and the curves in the ABS outer structure, work for me but I guess they might not for everybody. The belly cut and the angle of the forearm rest are perfect for me but I am only 5’ 9”.

I like unusual as well. I have a Nordstrand Acinonyx (now main gigging bass) and had an Ibby EHB1000 SS, which I only sold to fund the Acinonyx. I also have a Hofner Violin bass. Not everything has to be a Precision, or Jazz clone to be right.

Edited by Obrienp
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, RichT said:

After moving my SBMM s-s 'Ray on, I went for a Starstream A2S based largely on Dan's review of the A1H below and after a good chat with him and the guys at Vox UK. Believe me, the Vox Artist is in a completely different league from both the 'budget' Starstream (which I bought first and sent back) and the 'Ray. Vox said that the Artist was made in Japan for parent company Korg as a limited 'premium' run to test/prepare the market for the cost-engineered version intended to sell in higher volumes. Even priced at its launch RRP of around £1400 the Vox would be value for money. For the £800 I paid, it's a steal. The quality is as good as it gets, IMHO the avant-garde design looks great as well as making complete sense in functional terms, and I love the choice of Aguilar AG 4-J70 pickups (the A1H has an AG-4M) and OBP-2 pre-amp. I went for black with the maple fretboard.

Vox Starstream A1H review by Dan Veall

Edited by scrumpymike
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1