Why become a member? ×

Do you own the most expensive bass on Basschat

steve-soar

[quote name='pricechris10' post='428541' date='Mar 8 2009, 12:53 PM']TUT, TUT, TUT!
The man you attacked has a massive amount of ability both in manufacture and design of his basses.
The basses you have seen are probably prototypes and are being sold off near to the price of the build, let alone the time and effort he puts into them.
Prosebass is a pefectionist who's looking for a balance between quality and price.
I know, I own one of his basses and have met the guy. ( Have you? )
I find myself in a position to say that I COULD NOT replace the guitar I have because it IS UNIQUE.
And it has a UNIQUE sound!

PUT A VALUE ON THAT!
:)[/quote]

+3

[quote name='ARGH' post='428403' date='Mar 8 2009, 08:44 AM']Thing is,Ive bought cheap basses in the old days,an they work and sound ok in the bedroom on a 15w amp,but they fall apart,or bits break off,or at loud volumes they just sound dire...

Saying that I know of a million tales of boutique instruments crapping out onstage.....Alembics (Jason Newstead) Gretsch (Billy Duffy)..Status (me)...Warwick (me again..and Entwistle).

Cheap sh*tty pre-amps and bad pots,2 bnd eq's,bad soldering......[/quote]

i took my old fender P in a gig bag in the bottom of the megabus around the country to gigs once. Worked fine every time.... you see if you take out any preamp, or 2 band eq, dont ever touch the pots they tend to be quite resilient. You can hit drummers with them too and they stay in tune 50% of the time

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='428064' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:59 PM']As has been said, you might like a warwick as much as an amlebic but the warwick is a mass produced bass whereas the amlebic is a custom built bass.[/quote]
thisnameistaken's Warwick is from the same era as mine - I certainly wouldn't describe it as mass-produced. And I wasn't that taken with the Alembics I've played, I found my JD Thumb far more playable.

I have to say,the amount of people working on an 'Older' Warwick,would have been the same in number as Alembic.

Can we define 'Custom' please...is it a bass designed,in an original body shape,with electronics fitted as you wish,be they in house or company made.neck/body/headstock all hand carved....neck to your specs,as is the hardware...its an instrument made for you...a...one off shall we say.

or is it a 'Model' with options?

The latter isnt custom to me,not totally....

(waits for that to be taken out of all proportion)

[quote name='tauzero' post='428963' date='Mar 8 2009, 11:57 PM']thisnameistaken's Warwick is from the same era as mine - I certainly wouldn't describe it as mass-produced. And I wasn't that taken with the Alembics I've played, I found my JD Thumb far more playable.[/quote]

Okay obviously any bass that costs £700-2000 is not going to be "mass produced" by machines like a light bulb but it's probably going to be more mass-produced than a completely handmade bass like the amlebic. If you preferred the feel of your bass then that's good but i'm sure there are a lot of people out there who much prefer the feel of it over a JD thumb. Of course you probably won't want to hear it because i'm just some idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='429361' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:49 PM']If you preferred the feel of your bass then that's good but i'm sure there are a lot of people out there who much prefer the feel of it over a JD thumb. Of course you probably won't want to hear it because i'm just some idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about![/quote]
Funnily enough, I'm perfectly aware that there are people who would prefer the feel of an Alembic to a JD Thumb. Some people even like Fenders, for heaven's sake.

[quote name='ARGH' post='428967' date='Mar 9 2009, 12:09 AM']I have to say,the amount of people working on an 'Older' Warwick,would have been the same in number as Alembic.

Can we define 'Custom' please...is it a bass designed,in an original body shape,with electronics fitted as you wish,be they in house or company made.neck/body/headstock all hand carved....neck to your specs,as is the hardware...its an instrument made for you...a...one off shall we say.

or is it a 'Model' with options?

The latter isnt custom to me,not totally....

(waits for that to be taken out of all proportion)[/quote]

Using that argument (which is a perfectly valid one), there are very, very few true "custom" builders out there. Generally that would exclude most Alembic, GB, Sei, Fodera etc etc etc. although a few of each would creep in (certainly there are a few one-off Alembics out there). Most of the people considered custom builders still have certain body styles as a starting point.

To the man who preferred his Thumb to the Alembics he's tried, that's exactly as I would expect as we're all different with different requirements. No one bass is right for everybody.

One thing to bear in mind is that Alembic (in common with some other custom builders) will build you any non-copyrighted body shape, and will make a neck to your exact measurements/dimensions and choice of scale length. The only thing you have to have is a neck-through or set neck (they don't do bolt-ons) and you have to use their electronics (of which there are many types). Otherwise anything goes.

Edited by 4000

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='427808' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:02 AM']it pisses all over your Alembic and doesn't look as gay.[/quote][quote name='EdwardHimself' post='428064' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:59 PM']For a start it pisses me off so much people who use the word "gay" as an insult it suggests to me that you're homophobic.[/quote][quote name='thisnameistaken' post='428129' date='Mar 7 2009, 05:42 PM']I thought it fit the rant quite well, that's why I used it. Most of my friends work in theatre, if I was scared of gays I'd have nobody to talk to.[/quote][quote name='EdwardHimself' post='428218' date='Mar 7 2009, 08:48 PM']Yeah but what maked you think it would. You could have just said it looked crap or terrible. I just don't understand because you don't hear people saying something looks "n******" or "Paki" or "Spazz" so why the hell do you call it Gay? I just really don't get it.[/quote]
I am firmly with Edward here. [b][u]The word 'gay' is not a term of abuse and should not be used as such[/u][/b].
If anyone wants to call something crap, say it's crap. If you want to call someone an idiot, call them an idiot. But if you simply [i]have[/i] to use 'gay' rather than crap or idiot, go to a Big Brother discussion forum with the other 14 year olds where you can type "OMG u r like so gay" to your heart's content.

[quote name='Rich' post='438219' date='Mar 18 2009, 01:09 PM']I am firmly with Edward here. [b][u]The word 'gay' is not a term of abuse and should not be used as such[/u][/b].
If anyone wants to call something crap, say it's crap. If you want to call someone an idiot, call them an idiot. But if you simply [i]have[/i] to use 'gay' rather than crap or idiot, go to a Big Brother discussion forum with the other 14 year olds where you can type "OMG u r like so gay" to your heart's content.[/quote]

A definite +1.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='429361' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:49 PM']Okay obviously any bass that costs £700-2000 is not going to be "mass produced" by machines like a light bulb but it's probably going to be more mass-produced than a completely handmade bass like the amlebic.[/quote]

I have two basses that were both completely handmade - an '87 Warwick Streamer that cost me £500 secondhand and a 2008 RIM Custom 5 that cost £1500 new. The former was a bargain, the latter was extremely good value and I've never heard anything whose tone can compare.

Alembic have that most desirable of business characteristics - a very valuable brand!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='438347' date='Mar 18 2009, 03:31 PM']The former was a bargain, the latter was extremely good value and I've never heard anything whose tone can compare.[/quote]

Of course, I could read this as it having a bad tone to which nothing can compare...

...but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.