anzoid

Shortscale Bass Comparison in Pictures

Can anyone tell me if the ACG 30" and 32" scale basses use smaller bodies or is it just the neck length that is decreased?

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Can anyone tell me if the ACG 30" and 32" scale basses use smaller bodies or is it just the neck length that is decreased?

Paging @skelf, who builds them so should be able a) to let you know and b) build you whatever you like. I have a 32” scale ACG but nothing really to compare it with.

Hi

They generally don’t change in relation to scale length. Some I would not be able to make smaller than they currently are. Franks Recurve would be difficult to make smaller same with a Finn. Making some body shapes smaller wrecks the proportions in relation to the neck and hardware and ends up just looking weird. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

The ACG bodies in general are smaller than your average Fender P anyway, so they work just fine with shorter scales.

All my ACGs are 31.5" scale and they work really well.

Eude

You might want to add the brand new Squier Mini P Bass, hitting the market in just a week or so, which I suppose is a cheaper take of the relatively short lived Fender Precision Jr. Bass, and which is a 28,6" scale 20 fret P bass, as well as the ESP LTD B-4 JR, which recently went into production once again after having been discontinued for several years, and which is a 28,5" scale 24 fret bass, also just featuring one single P pickup, and in the lower budget instrument price category too. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

Definitely spoilt for choice just now aren't we!

Hadn't looked at the Chowny site for a while and the new Trans Blue is 😍 it would probably be my pick of the short scales readily available just now. 

3.png

• Like 2

On 30/05/2020 at 22:20, Baloney Balderdash said:

You might want to add the brand new Squier Mini P Bass, hitting the market in just a week or so, which I suppose is a cheaper take of the relatively short lived Fender Precision Jr. Bass, and which is a 28,6" scale 20 fret P bass

I love the look of that. Fancy one myself at the price. I have a spare MIM P pickup I could stick in... maybe with a KiOgon loom. I'm used to 30" scale but wonder if 28.6" is a step too far...