Why become a member? ×

Shortscale Bass Comparison in Pictures

anzoid

1 hour ago, ClassicVibes said:

Can anyone tell me if the ACG 30" and 32" scale basses use smaller bodies or is it just the neck length that is decreased?

Paging @skelf, who builds them so should be able a) to let you know and b) build you whatever you like. I have a 32” scale ACG but nothing really to compare it with.

Hi

They generally don’t change in relation to scale length. Some I would not be able to make smaller than they currently are. Franks Recurve would be difficult to make smaller same with a Finn. Making some body shapes smaller wrecks the proportions in relation to the neck and hardware and ends up just looking weird. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Can anyone tell me if the ACG 30" and 32" scale basses use smaller bodies or is it just the neck length that is decreased?

The ACG bodies in general are smaller than your average Fender P anyway, so they work just fine with shorter scales.

All my ACGs are 31.5" scale and they work really well.

Eude

You might want to add the brand new Squier Mini P Bass, hitting the market in just a week or so, which I suppose is a cheaper take of the relatively short lived Fender Precision Jr. Bass, and which is a 28,6" scale 20 fret P bass, as well as the ESP LTD B-4 JR, which recently went into production once again after having been discontinued for several years, and which is a 28,5" scale 24 fret bass, also just featuring one single P pickup, and in the lower budget instrument price category too. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 30/05/2020 at 22:20, Baloney Balderdash said:

You might want to add the brand new Squier Mini P Bass, hitting the market in just a week or so, which I suppose is a cheaper take of the relatively short lived Fender Precision Jr. Bass, and which is a 28,6" scale 20 fret P bass

I love the look of that. Fancy one myself at the price. I have a spare MIM P pickup I could stick in... maybe with a KiOgon loom. I'm used to 30" scale but wonder if 28.6" is a step too far...

• 3 years later...

wow, that's amazing! thank you for doing it.

not sure if you're still reading this post, but would be nice to see how they compare if they were on the floor? like total size?

i have a mustang, a jaguar and a hofner, all 30", but the hofner feels way bigger than the others when they are lined up

i also have the ibanez mikro and am considering getting the squier mini.. yeah, i also really love the short scales!

1 hour ago, three said:

Ahh, the short scale that feels like a 35”.  Utterly beautiful but utterly horrible on a strap (IMO)

Mine has the front strap pin on the horn, so not as bad as the original positioning.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, MJJS said:

Mine has the front strap pin on the horn, so not as bad as the original positioning.

Probably a good idea and I've thought of this too - I suspect that it improves both balance and reach.  I've often thought of a radically different approach too but need a very good design engineer to help with this.  I used to have access to loads of the latter and need to renew my acquaintances.  Apologies if this is a bit of a derail and kudos to the original poster - what an excellent idea and some brilliant work!

• Like 2

@anzoid thanks for this, very useful info. 
I didn’t know Warwick made a short scale Streamer, interesting, I’d only seen the Corvettes before and I’m not a big fan of the shape. 
I’ve got a couple of SS basses that I’ll upload some pics of if you want to add them to the list. Is it only 30” ones here or are you adding shorter scales?

Well, I found the file and still have the software required to edit it, so time for an update!

I'll chuck in the Alembic. Any others I'm missing?

Will also do a version with the bottom strap buttons lined up, i.e. like they're all sitting on the floor.

In the originals, the Warwick Streamer and the Fender Precision are just normal 34" scale for comparison. As far as I know the only short scale Warwick do is the Corvette (also available as medium scale too I believe...).

• Thanks 3