Why become a member? ×

Pick? Fingers? Both?

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='421829' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:07 PM']Some geezer at one of our gigs a while ago said any bassist playing with a pick is not worthy of the name and shouldn't be let near a stage.[/quote]
Wow. What a tw@t.

From the point of view of the audience, most couldn't give a crap what you play with. Its about what you play and how it sounds in context.

Yes, should have given apologies if this has been done before! Thought it would have :)

The geezer was tw@t. I didn't meet him, he said it on a internet forum afterwards. If i'd been there I would have asked him if he'd heard of Scott Thunes.

I only play fingers these days but if I was in a heavy band again, I'd be using pick most of the time.

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='421829' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:07 PM']Some geezer at one of our gigs a while ago said any bassist playing with a pick is not worthy of the name and shouldn't be let near a stage.[/quote]

I'd have loved to have seen him say that to Phil Lynott. The last thing he would have seen would have been his reflection in the mirrored pickguard as it approached his opinionated face at high speed. :)

Damn....beaten to it :rolleyes:

Edited by bassman2790

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='421832' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:09 PM']Although this comes up all the time, I'll reply and say that a bassist should use all techniques depending on what is called for in each particular song.[/quote]

plus the one.

you do as you please.

Next thing you get is some qunt saying that having more than 4 strings is bad.....Like a well run train service,its there ,always on time. I heard some 18 year old spout that and he was a student at the LSM.

Fags,grow up,get lower,get a 5.

In no way proves a point but one of the supposed best electric jazz bassists on the planet, Steve Swallow, changed from finger to pick (imagine that? sacrilege in jazz!). Whatever floats your boat and, most of all, whatever sounds best!

Haven't tried using a sardine before though :) Probably good for keeping the fingerboard well oiled

Broadcasting a disparaging view on either picks or fingers is that tell-tale, giveaway sign of being a know-nothing numpty, straight off the boat.

I've just got into the weird situation of a pick feeling sort of 'wrong' for me after 35 years playing. Mind you, minute we up the speed, out comes the pick.

[quote name='ARGH' post='421876' date='Feb 28 2009, 07:00 PM']Fags,grow up,get lower,get a 5.[/quote]

Rather a sweeping statement there, almost as bad as the blokes comment about the OP. :) There are some people who prefer 4-strings, just as there are people who prefer fingers. A bit more tolerance all round seems to be needed. :rolleyes:

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='422120' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:57 AM']Rather a sweeping statement there, almost as bad as the blokes comment about the OP. :) There are some people who prefer 4-strings, just as there are people who prefer fingers. A bit more tolerance all round seems to be needed. :rolleyes:[/quote]
Tongue is lodged firmly in cheek..Im sorry,please dont take me that seriously,Ive a rep for being an ERB zealot,but Im not that bad.

Its not about preferance or intolerance,its about the OP's guy's statement-er being a small minded tit. Enjoy playing the instrument however or whatever way you like,in or with as many or as few strings,with a pick,fingers.... whatever,as long as its musical to somebody,and before that you,then be happy play play play.

Tiny minded crap,really gets my goat.

(I was guilty of this sort of thing when I was younger,I expect it from the younger,or inexperienced ..'set'...but not the seasoned)

Edited by ARGH

Both, but 90% fingers.

Two words for that misinformed tw*t... Anthony Jackson.

I use fingers, and I love the slapping thing but that's still a work in progress.

As for a pick, they have never entered the equation for me although I see nothing wrong with them. I do sometimes play as if with a pick but without one (if that makes sense??) I read recently that it was called something like 'chucking'??? - don't know if anyone can shed any light on that?