Why become a member? ×

Where do you shop mainly?

Clockworkwar

Mostly online (eBay, here, Stringbusters, Axesrus, WD, Allparts), because the two shops here try to be all things to all men and that means bass gets squeezed into a tiny dusty corner of the shop. Have been known to buy strings locally and that's about it. Yada yada support your local shop and all that but what if they don't really support me? I'm always so underwhelmed when I go in that I rarely do so, and to be honest apart from the occasional "must buy strings now" moment (which can be alleviated by having a spare set in advance), I probably wouldn't miss the shops if they disappeared.

[quote name='yorick' post='419085' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:35 AM']PMT in Birmingham.[/quote]

Me too. Best music shop in the Midlands bar none.

Also Drum and Guitar Centre in Nottingham, and Music Scene in Mansfield

Music Scene is a geat small little shop if you're ever in North Notts. Two of the staff are keen bass players themselves, and they usually have one or two goodies there along with the usual stuff. They had a nice Stingray and Wariwck Corvette last time I was there, and often have some interesting vintage stuff as well.

the old Sound Control shop in Derby is pretty good too - can't remember what its called now though.

And on here obviously!

Edited by simon1964

America - when the £ against the $ was better. (my G&L bass)

Otherwise: here (several basses, Trace Elliot stuff), online retailers like Absolute (leads, mixer etc), Ebay (odds and sods like strings) and Andertons in Guildford, Surrey (Yammy bass and Warwick cab - great store).

There is a big guitar shop in my town but they're so aloof and overpriced, that I've stopped going in there.

Edited by stingrayfan

Pop into GAK quite a lot. Its me local.

Spent way more money at BassDirect mind (damn Mark and his mischievous scheming ways to part me from my money - to be fair this consists of having the gear I want and a nice set up, and letting me play it for as long as is needed for me to know I cant live without it, but!!!)

Anyone know what the cheapest source of DR stings is now the exchange rate to the dollar is rubbish??

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='419113' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:56 AM']America - when the £ against the $ was better. (my G&L bass)

Otherwise: here (several basses, Trace Elliot stuff), online retailers like Absolute (leads, mixer etc), Ebay (odds and sods like strings) and Andertons in Guildford, Surrey (Yammy bass and Warwick cab - great store).

There is a big guitar shop in my town but they're so aloof and overpriced, that I've stopped going in there.[/quote]

Fleet or Farnham or other??

My last major purchases have been through here or gumtree. The last new bass I bought came from bass central via an American cousin.

here:
bought two basses
bought two cabs
sold EUB
sold two basses
sold combo and 1x15 extension

gumtree:
bought amp
bought cab
bought double bass

Strings, rosin etc I used to buy from Thomann.de - but the exchange rate has made that less atrractive now.

Other on-line retailers used are GAK, Andersons & DV247.com

[quote name='51m0n' post='419171' date='Feb 25 2009, 12:20 PM']Anyone know what the cheapest source of DR stings is now the exchange rate to the dollar is rubbish??[/quote]
Just bought a set of Sunbeams from Stringbusters for £28.50. £1.50 of which was postage.

Just googled them and saw that Absolute Music are doing them for £23.00 Oh, I thought until I saw they're postage costs £6.00. £6.00???????? WTF?

Waitrose usually have some ethically sourced farmed bass but I prefer wild bass caught on rod and line. Expensive though.

In terms of musical equipment, almost everything I buy comes from ebay. I buy the odd piece of kit from Thomann and Digital Village though. I almost never buy anything from a physical shop. I will except the Bass Gallery from that statement though.

+1 for here-the vast majority of my musical purchases in the past couple of years have been from the For Sale page, if there's something you want and you have a bit of patience, what you want will usually come along before too long.
I like to use local shops if I can, but their stock is usually so limited that if they haven't got it, getting it can take weeks. Also a lot of the more 'exotic' stuff hasn't filtered its way down this end yet-my local chap, lovely bloke though he is, knew next to nothing about a Genz Benz Shuttle when mentioned. Neodymium cabs? Whassat then? Schroeder? Epifani? Never 'eard of 'em. Strings, picks and cables, otherwise it's online for me.