rze99

Show us your stack knobs!

I’m working on a ‘61 stack knob jazz bass replica. Please us your stack knob pics especially if you own one go into detail about it please 

I've got a stack knob Jazz which I made. It's got the stack Knobs, wired in the modern version of the circuit. I initially had the original stack knob layout with the pair of resistors between the pots. Using that layout made me realise why Jack Pastorius changed his bass from stack to the later 3 knob style. 

With the original wiring, the bass has less output than with the modern circuit, plus you can't roll back one of the volume pots to get the classic Jazz Bass "honk". The modern circuit allows you to get the Jazz tones we all know, with the added facility to roll off the tone on each pickup, independently from the other pickup. 

Guy Pratt borrowed it from me for a few weeks, and really liked it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

20170805_194553.jpg

FB_IMG_1481668803558.jpg

20130920_195451.jpg

20131010_192917.jpg

20131103_152509.jpg

20130921_140553.jpg

20170902_004420.png

Screenshot_20200411_142354_com.facebook.katana.jpg

20170805_194556.jpg

That’s spectacular! 

Mine is going to be already already made parts I’m afraid with a body sprayed for my by Jon at Rexter Guitars. nothing as ambitious as yours. 

The Jazz bass tone I like is simpler the two pickups together tone up full so I’m happy with the old stack layout plus I think looks more rock n roll somehow. 

I’m not a bass player but love to noodle and record bass. 

I’ll post pics of mine. Just waiting delivery of the final parts. 

R

When I said earlier that I now use the "modern" style wiring, I'm referring to having the volume and tone on each stack being independent for each pickup, not a 3 knob layout. 

20191003_061139.thumb.jpg.ce2944fbb13e3ab278c65b87fe6460ec.jpg

Stacked knob for volume and tone for Dimarzio  Model P. Just a single volume for the Dimarzio Will Power woofer in neck. 

• Like 3

I think everyone’s seen them , My 62RI nitro finish jazz , and my trusty old shell pink jazz , which is probably what I play the most 🙂

B3B06B7A-04C4-4399-812F-241C5173D896.jpeg

B3AAE0AC-EDEE-4029-96FD-1228C2BD2481.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My ESP 400 Series became triple-stacked a few years ago when I added a Noll TCM-3 to it. It’s now

vol (top) + pickup blend (bottom)

bass + treble cut and boost

mid cut and boost + passive tone (activated by the volume knob being a stacked push-pull pot)

B12B82E1-EA45-47E6-9935-E4A1E7DBE406.thumb.jpeg.2641462be74efc7de264c0f80dddddb4.jpeg

52ED3CE0-2C69-483B-B63E-CCB2ED23D3C7.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

All the best knobs are stacked! Starts here for me, predictably enough in Japan - my Aria Pro RSB Deluxe II, owned from new:

rsbresize4.thumb.jpg.fccf7d1ceb25f11abd80e1f0511b8ee8.jpg

Supremely logical & versatile passive control setup, apart from the IMO redundant seletor switch. A blend pot would make more sense.

And my somewhat customised '80 MIJ Jazz with a pre-wired control plate I blagged cheap off Ebay. Again the stacks make sense for maximising the versatility of a passive bass, as well as looking better than v/v/t. The pickups are twin-coil DiMarzios and I've toyed with the idea of phase switching like the Aria - but the bass sounds great as it is & I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in it.

CSLresize2.thumb.jpg.e8dca20e4a51b06f14bdb91343cdf9ab.jpg

• Like 2

‘77 Aria Jazz that I rescued from dead a couple of years ago. Stack Knob control plate and loom by @KiOgon.

7A483040-B7A3-45D3-9844-CDE56AF95AE3.jpeg

• Like 4

Modified Lakland Duck Dunn circa. 2008.

DD-J01.jpg.1b2ca71be57698107928a82208c7d24b.jpg

1996 MIJ 50th Anniversary version

81721644_PinkJazz_11.JPG.4c101d239c2ac760fff6accbb4daed75.JPG

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Here’s a couple, ‘60 & ‘61.

D60513F6-9F49-46BB-A5EA-B7106AD15B2B.jpeg

Sweet Lord that’s a wonderful pair. 

14 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Early ‘61, Custom colour, Olympic White. 

BF0ECC84-5412-4CCC-88AE-0125DFB7B02B.jpeg

That is EXACTLY the replica I am working on. 

Please please can I see more pictures details close ups. With and without the Old hub caps. Thank you.  

8 hours ago, rze99 said:

That is EXACTLY the replica I am working on. 

Please please can I see more pictures details close ups. With and without the Old hub caps. Thank you.  

Will get it out the case later and take some pics. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Will get it out the case later and take some pics. 

Thank you so much @Rick's Fine '52I really can't wait to see them. That is my perfect bass!

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Does this count?  John East stacked knobbage.

20200420_184228.jpg

Its not the traditional stack knob I was thinking of in my OP but yeah that's a very cool bass.

• Like 1

Here is the one wot I made ...

See the last few posts 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Big Rich
      I just installed a set of new Wilkinson WOJB Jazz Bass pickups in my J&D Jazz Bass and the output of the D and G strings  are about 30% compared to the 100% of the E and A strings.  The pole pieces are all level and my soldering is fine but the standout thing for me was the unequal magnets on the back of the neck pickup, the E and A have a thick magnet but the D and G have a much thinner magnet, more than coincidence I’m thinking.
      Is this the problem?    The bridge pickup has one magnet along the whole pickup, as did the old pickups.
      Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

• By EddHytheTown
      Up for sale only (no trades thanks) my Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz (with Stagg gig bag - basically a dust cover with no padding). I've seen some ludicrous ambitious prices for these one ebay recently, but hopefully I've got this up at a fair price. This Andertons link has specifications, which I believe should be correct. 
      I've owned this for a few years from new but it's never been gigged and only occasionally played at rehearsal plus home use, so good condition. The plastic is still on the control panel - that's why it looks so smeared in the first photo.
      I've tried to highlight the only major ding on the back of the body (a £1 coin for size reference). There are a couple of minor blemishes that I couldn't capture with the camera, and some minor marking on the fingerboard.
      Strung with Rotosound Jazz flatwounds now I think. I think it was originally strung with rounds which may account for some of the marking on the fingerboard - I changed them quite soon after buying the bass. I've tried to show some of the marking in the photos - it doesn't affect the playability. 
      This has been a good introduction to fretless, but I just don't play it enough and should be moving house quite soon - hence the sale. No trades thanks (I may also be saving for a 5 string after the move...!).
      Collection preferred from SE London (Sydenham SE26 area ideally), but could also meet around London - public transport and social distance rules permitting. I would not be comfortable sending by post - I have no experience of this and no spare solid case or packing materials available.
      Any questions let me know. 
      Cheers,
      Edd

• By CJPJ
      I bought this new from Andertons in September 2018  (receipt included) spontaneously as it was discounted and I always wanted one. However, I have only played it a handful of times as I always go to my trusted Ibanez 5 string. I think the saying is never meet your hero. I'm having a clear out (see other listing for the Mark Bass Combo and Amp) and I'd be happy to let someone get this lovely bass for a very decent price.
      It comes with all the usual bits including travel case and certificate of authenticity (plus a spair set of strings). There are a couple of small marks on the bottom back / lead edge including a small chip which I attempted to touch up with colour matched gloss varnish. Apart from this it is an immaculate, unmolested and original example - it has never been adjusted apart from the set-up that came out of Andertons.
      You are very welcome to inspect and playing through my Mark Bass amp or bring your own.
      I work in Bourne End, Buckinghamshire so could be flexible on location between these places.
      Any question please ask. 

• By Hellzero
      Due to severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) and right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which ,after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4.5 kilos. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

NOGUERA Trinity 8 Custom Bruno Ramos ! The most ergonomic bass I've owned to date, except maybe my IBANEZ AFR.

As it's an unique instrument, I'm opened (past participle) to (partial) trades, but please keep in mind that I'm fretless player and that the weight is an important factor to me, so must be less than 4.5 kilos !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £2222 GBP !!! (new price would be around £5500 GBP...)

In fully working condition and excellent overall condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body : 2 pieces red alder from Noguera original stock
      Top : book matched flamed maple from Noguera original stock with in between veneer out of ebony from Noguera original stock
      Neck : 1 piece hard rock maple from Noguera original stock (with stiffening rods)
      Fingerboard : flamed maple from Noguera original stock
      Frets : 25, yes 25
      Headstock : 4 + 4 shape (angled) with flamed maple top from Noguera original stock with in between veneer out of ebony from Noguera original stock
      Pickups : 2 Noguera single coils hum-cancelling (stacked humbucker) in 60's Jazz Bass position and ebony covers from Noguera original stock
      Preamp : Noguera 3 bands custom made for this unique bass to Bruno Ramos exact specifications
      Controls : neck volume (push-pull for active/passive selection), bridge volume, bass, mids (push-pull for 400/800 Hz selection), treble
      Tuners : Hipshot Ultralite
      Bridge : Noguera patented 2 pieces flamed maple from Noguera original stock with zinc fully adjustable saddles
      Strings spacing at bridge : 20 mm
      Nut : bone
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : Noguera wooden knobs from Noguera original stock (maple for the volumes and ebony for the EQ)
      Scale : 34"
      Hardware colour : black
      Truss rods : 2 (fully working)
      Finish : very light gloss
      Land of craftsmanship : France
      Serial number : none as it's a unique model
      Year : 04/2012
      Weight : 5.6 kilos (on the light side for an ERB 8 strings) 
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the F string to 3 mm under the F# string at 12th fret (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new Rockcase Beast Bass hard case fitted with removable foam to block it inside.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

I'm only selling this wonderful Jazz Bass like ERB 8 strings bass because of my health issues. Trinity (as it was named by Christian NOGUERA) deserves to be played, and even if each time I play it, it sounds terrific even dead flat and passive, I always get back to my very very lightweight IBANEZ AFR A104F fretless as it's my sound. This extended range bass is unique and has been totally hand crafted with the best woods Christian had in stock at the time (as you certainly noticed it  ). All these woods were in his stock for more than 20 years explaining the even sound and the fact that this instrument seems to be insensible to the changes in weather. It stays in tune for months.

This bass was designed for Bruno Ramos who is professional player, a teacher and a journalist for the Bassiste Magazine (THE French magazine). This Noguera is perfectly balanced and really easy to play as every detail has been perfectly thought. Don't be afraid by the number of strings, it's so easy to play that you won't notice that you are playing such an ergonomic and balanced ERB. You'll be amazed, guaranteed !

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC. It has a new battery and has been fitted with a brand-new set of Kalium BH-190-8BS hybrid nickel round wound strings, except for the F that is plain (19P - 31 - 43 - 59 - 79 -106 -142 - 192).

This marvellous Noguera will also come with a brand new spare Kalium BH-174-8BL set (18P - 28 - 39 - 55 - 73 -98 -130 - 174), a used Kalium BH-174-8BL set, a brand new Newtone Diamond taper type round core nickel plated steel all round wound set (20 - 28 - 44 - 64 - 84 -104 -128 - 174) and a mounted once for one hour exact same Newtone set. So you'll have 4 spare sets : 2 new, 1 hardly used and 1 used (that was fitted on Trinity before I put the new set on it).

Link to the new Noguera website : https://www.noguera-basses.com/

A video with Bruno Ramos playing his bass : 

Another video were Bruno Ramos used it at the end of the tune : 

What you see is what you get !

Look at the pictures taken under different angles to see the real almost new condition : some hardly noticeable very few marks and very small knock over the neck pickup (at around 2 cm away). The bass is photographed with the special Loxx Strap Locks, but will be fitted back with the original black strap buttons (as on photos 12 to 15, which were made by Christian NOGUERA).

Don't hesitate to ask for more.

• By fclef4life
      Hey guys! Placing for sale the best Fender Jazz Bass that I ever played. I had plenty of Custom Shop and Vintage Fenders, they were all good, each one with their own character. But this bass has something special. This Fender is from 1972, it has everything original and it is in outstanding shape for its age. It comes with a vintage Italian hardcase. The bass in very lightweight - 4 kg. Price 3700 euro. Looking for sale only, no trades please. Location Barcelona, Spain. Worldwide shipping available.