rze99

Show us your stack knobs!

I’m working on a ‘61 stack knob jazz bass replica. Please us your stack knob pics especially if you own one go into detail about it please 

I've got a stack knob Jazz which I made. It's got the stack Knobs, wired in the modern version of the circuit. I initially had the original stack knob layout with the pair of resistors between the pots. Using that layout made me realise why Jack Pastorius changed his bass from stack to the later 3 knob style. 

With the original wiring, the bass has less output than with the modern circuit, plus you can't roll back one of the volume pots to get the classic Jazz Bass "honk". The modern circuit allows you to get the Jazz tones we all know, with the added facility to roll off the tone on each pickup, independently from the other pickup. 

Guy Pratt borrowed it from me for a few weeks, and really liked it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

20170805_194553.jpg

FB_IMG_1481668803558.jpg

20130920_195451.jpg

20131010_192917.jpg

20131103_152509.jpg

20130921_140553.jpg

20170902_004420.png

Screenshot_20200411_142354_com.facebook.katana.jpg

20170805_194556.jpg

That’s spectacular! 

Mine is going to be already already made parts I’m afraid with a body sprayed for my by Jon at Rexter Guitars. nothing as ambitious as yours. 

The Jazz bass tone I like is simpler the two pickups together tone up full so I’m happy with the old stack layout plus I think looks more rock n roll somehow. 

I’m not a bass player but love to noodle and record bass. 

I’ll post pics of mine. Just waiting delivery of the final parts. 

R

When I said earlier that I now use the "modern" style wiring, I'm referring to having the volume and tone on each stack being independent for each pickup, not a 3 knob layout. 

20191003_061139.thumb.jpg.ce2944fbb13e3ab278c65b87fe6460ec.jpg

Stacked knob for volume and tone for Dimarzio  Model P. Just a single volume for the Dimarzio Will Power woofer in neck. 

• Like 3

I think everyone’s seen them , My 62RI nitro finish jazz , and my trusty old shell pink jazz , which is probably what I play the most 🙂

B3B06B7A-04C4-4399-812F-241C5173D896.jpeg

B3AAE0AC-EDEE-4029-96FD-1228C2BD2481.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My ESP 400 Series became triple-stacked a few years ago when I added a Noll TCM-3 to it. It’s now

vol (top) + pickup blend (bottom)

bass + treble cut and boost

mid cut and boost + passive tone (activated by the volume knob being a stacked push-pull pot)

B12B82E1-EA45-47E6-9935-E4A1E7DBE406.thumb.jpeg.2641462be74efc7de264c0f80dddddb4.jpeg

52ED3CE0-2C69-483B-B63E-CCB2ED23D3C7.jpeg

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 1

All the best knobs are stacked! Starts here for me, predictably enough in Japan - my Aria Pro RSB Deluxe II, owned from new:

rsbresize4.thumb.jpg.fccf7d1ceb25f11abd80e1f0511b8ee8.jpg

Supremely logical & versatile passive control setup, apart from the IMO redundant seletor switch. A blend pot would make more sense.

And my somewhat customised '80 MIJ Jazz with a pre-wired control plate I blagged cheap off Ebay. Again the stacks make sense for maximising the versatility of a passive bass, as well as looking better than v/v/t. The pickups are twin-coil DiMarzios and I've toyed with the idea of phase switching like the Aria - but the bass sounds great as it is & I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in it.

CSLresize2.thumb.jpg.e8dca20e4a51b06f14bdb91343cdf9ab.jpg

• Like 2

‘77 Aria Jazz that I rescued from dead a couple of years ago. Stack Knob control plate and loom by @KiOgon.

7A483040-B7A3-45D3-9844-CDE56AF95AE3.jpeg

• Like 4

Modified Lakland Duck Dunn circa. 2008.

DD-J01.jpg.1b2ca71be57698107928a82208c7d24b.jpg

1996 MIJ 50th Anniversary version

81721644_PinkJazz_11.JPG.4c101d239c2ac760fff6accbb4daed75.JPG

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Here’s a couple, ‘60 & ‘61.

D60513F6-9F49-46BB-A5EA-B7106AD15B2B.jpeg

Sweet Lord that’s a wonderful pair. 

14 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Early ‘61, Custom colour, Olympic White. 

BF0ECC84-5412-4CCC-88AE-0125DFB7B02B.jpeg

That is EXACTLY the replica I am working on. 

Please please can I see more pictures details close ups. With and without the Old hub caps. Thank you.  

8 hours ago, rze99 said:

That is EXACTLY the replica I am working on. 

Please please can I see more pictures details close ups. With and without the Old hub caps. Thank you.  

Will get it out the case later and take some pics. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rick's Fine '52 said:

Will get it out the case later and take some pics. 

Thank you so much @Rick's Fine '52I really can't wait to see them. That is my perfect bass!

Just now, NancyJohnson said:

Does this count?  John East stacked knobbage.

20200420_184228.jpg

Its not the traditional stack knob I was thinking of in my OP but yeah that's a very cool bass.

• Like 1

Here is the one wot I made ...

See the last few posts 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kdubb24
      Up for sale is a pair of older model Sadowsky 4 String Humcancelling Pickups with raised A & D poles
      Perfect working condition, the neck pickup hot lead is a little short and cover has a little cosmetic damage as shown in photo (hidden when the pup is mounted) or you can put them in other covers 😉
      £75 delivered

• By FEND3R
      PRICE DROP - NOW £2050 or sensible offer

1990 Fender Custom shop fretless Jazz Bass. As you can expect from a John Page era custom shop bass – a superb instrument and one of the earliest Fender fretless jazz basses that I have seen from Fender (after the extremely rare ones from the 70s).
      As one can expect the bass has been played a lot and shows a lot of dings and dongs, patina on the hardware, etc., but is all original and in perfect functional condition: straight neck with more place in the truss rod to adjust (it is not maxed out), all electronics and hardware work accordingly, action can be set very nice and low. The bass is superbly responsive, resonates extremely well with great dynamics and the harmonics are just amazing – it both sings and does the “mwah” just as well. I have not made any attempts to renew the hardware (remove the patina), because IMHO it gives it character, but if you wish my bass tech can do that prior to shipping. Width at nut is 38mm and the bass weights 4,07kg. according to my home scale. It comes with a black tolex case, probably not original.
      More detailed pictures can be found here - https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzum76RP3hJfic3s5
      Why am I selling it if its such a great bass – I am letting go a part of my collection and keeping only the vintage precisions. The asking price is less than what it costed me, but can consider sensible offers. No trades, I am afraid, unless it is a well played pre-1974 precision or recent B-15. Also, if you purchase it and do not find yourself to like it – I can take it back as long as you cover the shipping and payment fees.
      Any questions – please, feel free to ask. Price includes shipping to most parts of EU.  
      You can check my feedback here : 

• By 1966powers
      ♦️ I am selling this bass from the De Gier brand, with only 10 months.
      BeBop 4 model, finished "relic".
      Still under warranty (14 months).
      I'm interested in a trade for a 5-string bass  type Fender Ultra Jazz Bass V or similar;
      I am also interested in Yamaha trb 5p (Adjusting the difference in value)
      Spec:
      Bodywood: Alder. 
      Neckwood: Maple.
      Fingerboardwood: Rosewood.
      Inlays: White pearloid dots.
      Pickups: Fralin.
      Bridge: Chrome.
      Tuners: Chrome.
      Colour: 3 tone Sunburst.
      Relic Finish.
      Pickguard: Darkest Red Tortoise Celluloid.
      Original bag included.
      Shared shipping costs.

• By bensilva
      Here for sale is my MIM 2013 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, this is the version still with the Badass Bridge, only flaw that he as is on transportation once got bumped and the varnish on the strap button cracked as well on the bottom. 
        Will ship it with a pair of Schaller straplocks   About shipping, will ship to Europe and U.K, shipping cost will be determined by UPS, use them on a fair amount and their work with my packages has been stellar. 
        I am a user of this forum for a few years and this is the first time i am selling something in this platform, therefore there is no reviews on myself, in case of doubt you can pm me and will show my reverb reviews no worries at all. 
        cheers    

• By Hellzero
      Due to the Covid-19 situation and severe back problems (66% officially disabled because of it) plus right shoulder injury (non-operable capsulitis from which, after more than 3 years, I will never fully recover), I'm selling all my basses over 4 kilos and also the ones I'm not really using. I've also considerably lowered the price for a quick sale.

WARRIOR Dran Michael 7 (DM7) Custom NT Signature, top of the range model, early bird, 1996.

ONLY POSSIBLE TRADE : LEDUC U-BASSE FRETLESS 6 !
      NON NEGOTIABLE PRICE !

Asking price including shipping fully insured with tracking number to your place in these European countries (ask for other countries) : Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (excluding French overseas departments and territories), Germany, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Monaco, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and United Kingdom : £1800 GBP !!! (new price still is $8000 USD..)

Fully working and in excellent condition.

Here are the specifications :
      Body  : two aged purpleheart wings
      Top : thick aged flamed maple
      Neckthrough : 3 pieces aged hard rock Canadian maple and aged purpleheart with two veneers of aged purpleheart and aged maple on each sides of the aged purpleheart core (quite thin and fast neck, think Leduc)
      Fretboard : thick (7 mm) 16" radius Amazon rosewood (Spruceana Dalbergia) fitted by Christophe LEDUC (his last piece of the very old stock)
      Frets : 24 (no wear at all as they are almost brand new and fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Headstock : angled 4 + 3 shape with aged flamed maple thick veneer
      Pickups : 2 x Warrior-Bartolini humbuckers
      Preamp : Warrior-Bartolini NTMB-918 FL first version (18 Volts) with the "tone killer" Sparkle Circuit removed and replaced by a classic gain
      Controls : volume (push-push, yes push-push, active/passive), blend, stacked bass and treble, 3 way mid switch (250 Hz, 500 Hz, 800 Hz), mids
      Tuners : Warrior-Gotoh
      Bridge : Hipshot "A" Style with typical Warrior strings through for B, E and A (they can be fitted at the bridge too)
      Strings spacing at bridge : 16.5 mm
      Nut : bone (new one fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Strings spacing at nut : 9 mm
      Knobs : gold metal
      Scale : 34 inches
      Hardware colour : gold
      Truss rod : one single action (fitted by Christophe LEDUC when he put the new fretboard)
      Finish : translucent anointed oil as Warrior calls Tung oil
      Land of craftsmanship : USA
      Serial number : 04886
      Year : 1996
      Weight : 5.493 kilos
      Action : from 1.5 mm under the F string to 2 mm under the B string at 12th position (can go lower, but was perfect for me)

Will come with a brand new Fame fake brown snakeskin hard case (with one key as it was delivered like this), like the ones Warrior used. The bass also comes with a brand new set of Dunlop gold Straplok as it's fitted with the flush mount strap system.

Non-smoking environment as usual.

The bass has been fully set up professionally by Christophe LEDUC when he did the new fretboard fitting, which also received a differential dressing. It has received two new batteries and has been fitted with a brand new set of Pyramid SSSL strings (22 - 27 - 47 - 67 - 87 - 107 - 128).

Long story short, this bass started its life as a fretted, then has been defretted, then refretted, then defretted again and received the last (too much) refretting leaving the fretboard almost non existent. So, I decided to give this bass its original design and it received a thick Amazon rosewood fretboard with classic silver-nickel frets and a new truss rod (4 mm  Allen key) as the original had broken (a common known problem by old Warrior basses). I chose the Amazon rosewood because it's quite close to the Brazilian rosewood when it comes to tone with clear and powerful low mids, thick bass and silk highs, but is also close to purpleheart in terms of colour and tone too (more low mids and less scooped by Amazon rosewood). Couple this with the full Bartolini design and you get a very versatile bass that cuts through the mix. And then the bass started some kind of Tour de France to get back to me, but it's too heavy for me (now), even if it's really easy to play thanks to the quite thin neck with a 16" radius fretboard.

Link to the Warrior Dran Michael basses : https://warriorbass.com/warrior-dranmichael.php

Link to the Warrior-Bartolini page : https://bartolini.net/builder/warrior-instruments/

Link to the Bartolini NTMB-918 FL page : https://bartolini.net/wp-content/uploads/Docs/Electronics/EQs/ArchiveEQs/NTMB-918fl.pdf

Link to the Pyramid strings fitted : https://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_7_string_bass_set_sssl_022_128.htm

What you see is what you get !

Look at the photos taken under different angles and light to see the excellent condition of this bass. And yes, the hard case is brown, but it's hard to photograph. The mark at the back of the neck that you can see clearly on the 8th photo is the sugar of the maple that has burned when sanded. This also attests the high quality of the maple used.

Here is the link to the 43 photos in high resolution : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1OHOI7lEQ6IfqoZj36R-oBoffBRi8__VS?usp=sharing

Don't hesitate to ask for more.