Why become a member? ×

2 x 15" heaven

Gwilym

The last couple of band rehearsals I've ended up having 2 1x15" cabinet stacks at the studio (Survival in Acton if anyone is interested).

I took my Mark Bass F500 with me in my bag - one of the reasons I bought it actually - easy to carry on public transport and guarantee that I can have at least a decent amplifer at reheasal studios which tend to have equipment that I don't like the sound of as much.

The first time I had a Trace Elliott stack of 2 1x15" - dunno which models. The second time I had a similar Behringer stack.

The main difference I found was that the TE's were much less sensitive. But generally I **REALLY** like the sound of 2 1x15" cabs paired with the F500. Both the TE's and Behringers sounded great and I don't think there were any tweeters in any of the cabs.

Now what will give me that tone in 1 (not much I suspect) or 2 light boxes? Normally I only have one cab at ground level, so how much of the sound comes from having a second cab at ear level? How much comes from having a vertical array of similar speakers, rather than a mix of difference speaker sizes?

My next experiment will be to take my EBS Neo 212 and place it at ear level and see how that sound compares to the 2 1x15" cabs together.

One thing I know is that the last thing I need GAS for is large speaker cabinets! ;)

[quote name='Gwilym' post='412609' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:57 PM']The last couple of band rehearsals I've ended up having 2 1x15" cabinet stacks at the studio (Survival in Acton if anyone is interested).

I took my Mark Bass F500 with me in my bag - one of the reasons I bought it actually - easy to carry on public transport and guarantee that I can have at least a decent amplifer at reheasal studios which tend to have equipment that I don't like the sound of as much.

The first time I had a Trace Elliott stack of 2 1x15" - dunno which models. The second time I had a similar Behringer stack.

The main difference I found was that the TE's were much less sensitive. But generally I **REALLY** like the sound of 2 1x15" cabs paired with the F500. Both the TE's and Behringers sounded great and I don't think there were any tweeters in any of the cabs.

Now what will give me that tone in 1 (not much I suspect) or 2 light boxes? Normally I only have one cab at ground level, so how much of the sound comes from having a second cab at ear level? How much comes from having a vertical array of similar speakers, rather than a mix of difference speaker sizes?

My next experiment will be to take my EBS Neo 212 and place it at ear level and see how that sound compares to the 2 1x15" cabs together.

One thing I know is that the last thing I need GAS for is large speaker cabinets! ;)[/quote]

Interesting post Gwil! I'd be very interested to hear what happens when you take the EBS 212 along to see if that compares at ear level..

FWIW, having used a variety of 410s, 210s, 412s etc, my own opinion is that I prefer a cabinet design that has 15" drivers in it somewhere. The SWR Triad I have now has a 15", a 10" + a horn and it sounds great to me.. I also have a custom build 15" driver with an aluminum cone (that Johnnylager's using at the moment) and I like the tone of that too..

And I think Alex Claber's first cab designs are based around 15" drivers as well IIRC?

This is my 2x15 rig and I love the sound so much so that I have stopped DI ing through the PA as the rig is a lot better than the PA at bass. It's great to have all your sound coming from behind. Adding the second cab didn't immediately give me the increase in volume I expected on stage but it certainly throws it out front and there is tons of headroom.

[attachment=20469:rig2.jpg]
Thanks to TK4108 for the piccy

[quote name='Monz' post='412681' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:04 AM']This is my 2x15 rig and I love the sound so much so that I have stopped DI ing through the PA as the rig is a lot better than the PA at bass. It's great to have all your sound coming from behind. Adding the second cab didn't immediately give me the increase in volume I expected on stage but it certainly throws it out front and there is tons of headroom.

[attachment=20469:rig2.jpg]
Thanks to TK4108 for the piccy[/quote]
Nice rig... Any particular reason why the combo is on the bottom?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='412622' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:18 AM']I also have a custom build 15" driver with an aluminum cone (that Johnnylager's using at the moment) and I like the tone of that too..[/quote]
So do I - when you need it back Nik, just give us a bell - can deliver!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='412622' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:18 AM']And I think Alex Claber's first cab designs are based around 15" drivers as well IIRC?[/quote]
Yep - and I can thoroughly recommend the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html"]BarefacedBass Big One[/url]. For the first time since I got shot of me Sunn 2x15 in the 80's, I was able to hear myself properly wherever I was on the stage, so was the drummist. Thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=138833"]here[/url], my brief review [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=409683"]here[/url].

EDIT: Alex is doing a 2x15 too...

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='yorick' post='412682' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:23 AM']Nice rig... Any particular reason why the combo is on the bottom?[/quote]

The extension 1x15 has a tweeter/horn effect thingy in it which I have never been that keen on, however I have found that with this almost at ear level and almost attenuated out ;) it makes it easier for me to make out what I am playing by adding just a little of that fizzy sparkle type sound.

I use two 15s in separate cabs for ease, flexibility and sound.
One is a compact Flite cab loaded with an Eminence 3015LF and it must be the lightest 15 cab in the world at an incredible 10 kilos - that's f......lite!
I use this on it's own for practises and small gigs and it's surprisingly deep and punchy for it's size, thogh obviously not as deep as a larger cab.
The other cab is an Ashdown mag115 deep which adds extra depth and volume for bigger gigs and is still not mad heavy at about 20 kilos.
I tried many other cabs before arriving at this set up in my search for lightweight deep bass and the two 15s work best for me, although I also have a compact Hartke 2 x 10 loaded with Ashdown drivers which sounds very deep and smooth and also weighs about 20 k.
I haven't liked any of the many single 12" cabs I tried, much as I wanted to. None of them were happy with my deep dub tone.
It's taken a year of trying different combinations of cabs to get 'my' sound from a lightweight rig and I bought all 3 cabs on this forum, where I have also had excellent help and advice from people who know a lot more than me about such matters, (they know who they are).
The main lesson I learned is that everyone has a different view of the perfect sound and the only way to find yours is to tust your own ears.

[quote name='redstriper' post='412966' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:48 PM']I haven't liked any of the many single 12" cabs I tried, much as I wanted to. None of them were happy with my deep dub tone.[/quote]

I am surprised you didn't get on with the Aguilar... I am finding my GS112 (No tweeter) to be 'bassier' than my Trace 1x15.

[quote name='Gwilym' post='412609' date='Feb 17 2009, 11:57 PM']I took my Mark Bass F500 with me in my bag -[/quote]

You got a F500? !! OMG!!! I want! lol lol... OOOH! Look over there Gwil'!! *yoink* he he!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='412622' date='Feb 18 2009, 12:18 AM']And I think Alex Claber's first cab designs are based around 15" drivers as well IIRC?[/quote]

I like the idea of a pair of them... I'd love to hear them, out of sheer curiosity.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='412790' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:11 AM']Lightweight 2x15 is about as likely as a lightweight 8x10 ;)[/quote]

Well, I guess you have to make the comparison against other 2x15's. The example I usually use is that an Ampeg 8x10 is over 80Kg. A Hartke 4.5XL is 45Kilos. My Epifani 6x10 is 35Kg. Further to those specs, the sensitivity means it is louder and 'goes deeper' from a response point of view, so I don't need 2 4x10's to do the same work.

[quote name='alexclaber' post='412799' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:18 AM']I think mine should be about 50lbs - not sure if that qualifies as lightweight any more but it certainly used to!
Alex[/quote]

Thats light!

[quote name='Mr.T' post='413074' date='Feb 18 2009, 02:10 PM']I am surprised you didn't get on with the Aguilar... I am finding my GS112 (No tweeter) to be 'bassier' than my Trace 1x15.[/quote]
I suppose these things are subjective and it depends how low you wanna go.
I found my old trace 15" combo much 'bassier' than the Aguilar, which I thought was middly with no real depth.
The Aguilar GS112 is the favourite cab of a friend of mine, but when I tried it I nearly blew it up!
My sound is very deep and the driver was popping and trying to jump out of the cab above moderate volume levels.
I really wanted it to work for me as it obviously does for you and lots of other people, but it wasn't to be.
The upside is that the Ashdown mag115 is much cheaper, not much heavier and goes a lot deeper.

[quote name='Mr.T' post='413353' date='Feb 18 2009, 05:10 PM']Hmmm..... Strange.

My Trace 1x15 farts at lower volumes than my Aggie.
And the Aggie seems to go much deeper.[/quote]

The driver in my trace cab is a 1985 200 watt Fane studio B and it goes much deeper than the Aggie.
Put an Eminence kappalite 3015LF in any half decent cab and it will go way lower than the aggie IMO.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='412790' date='Feb 18 2009, 10:11 AM']Lightweight 2x15 is about as likely as a lightweight 8x10 ;)[/quote]

Weight is not everything, its ease of movement that counts, My acoustic 2x15 and its predecessor eden 215xlt both have floor mounted tilt back castors.
Pull the handle at the top and pull it behind you as a trolley. No lifting and carrying. Tilt and slide into the back of an estate.
Ive has 4x10s,2x10, 1x15s, ashdown minis and I rather move the 2x15.

Stairs and High stages are a problem I would agree.

2x15 rigs are the way forward, I tell ya.

That's what I will be running very soon, once I've finished my 1x15 cab. Yes it won't match the 1x15 Trace but I don't care :P Later this year, or next, or the year after, depending on when I have the cash, I'll be getting two bareface[b]dB[/b]ass Compacts ;)

[quote name='bumnote' post='413559' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:06 PM']Weight is not everything, its ease of movement that counts, My acoustic 2x15 and its predecessor eden 215xlt both have floor mounted tilt back castors.
Pull the handle at the top and pull it behind you as a trolley. No lifting and carrying. Tilt and slide into the back of an estate.
Ive has 4x10s,2x10, 1x15s, ashdown minis and I rather move the 2x15.

Stairs and High stages are a problem I would agree.[/quote]
+1
Never quite understood this emphasis on weight either. I tend to use a Mesa 2x15 EV in preference to my other cabs mainly because of its extra headroom of 800W - easily transported single handed except for the dreaded stairs (when you know how a Dalek must feel! ;) )

[quote name='alexclaber' post='413415' date='Feb 18 2009, 05:39 PM']All Trace Elliott 15"s are not created equal. The GS112 doesn't actually go that low but it has a pretty fat sounding midbass hump - however ask for deeper bottom and it will seriously struggle, but then again so will many cabs.

Alex[/quote]

Point taken.

Maybe I am not playing 'that deep' to make the little Aggie struggle.

[quote name='redstriper' post='413483' date='Feb 18 2009, 06:58 PM']The driver in my trace cab is a 1985 200 watt Fane studio B and it goes much deeper than the Aggie.
Put an Eminence kappalite 3015LF in any half decent cab and it will go way lower than the aggie IMO.[/quote]

I guess that you are asking a lot more of your cabs (bottom end) because of the kind of music you play.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='412685' date='Feb 18 2009, 07:49 AM']So do I - when you need it back Nik, just give us a bell - can deliver!

Yep - and I can thoroughly recommend the [url="http://barefacedbass.com/thebigone.html"]BarefacedBass Big One[/url]. For the first time since I got shot of me Sunn 2x15 in the 80's, I was able to hear myself properly wherever I was on the stage, so was the drummist. Thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=138833"]here[/url], my brief review [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=13344&view=findpost&p=409683"]here[/url].

EDIT: Alex is doing a 2x15 too...[/quote]
So what cabs are you using now then John.. Have you bought something since I saw you last or are you waiting on one of Alex's exciting new cabs?