Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

5 hours ago, JohnR said:

I bought a new version AT210+ recently from Bass Direct. It has the full carbon top and the new cloth speaker grill. I previously owned one of the old designs and much prefer this new model. 

Do you feel that the little things like small foots or corners had been improved.

The weight are even more amazing now.

24 minutes ago, Shiveringbass said:

Do you feel that the little things like small foots or corners had been improved.

The weight are even more amazing now.

They are the same as before. I chose the cab for tone and portability so understand some of the design decisions made to achieve that. 

• Like 2

I wonder what these active cabinets will be priced at?

Just looking at the Bass Direct web site and the passive AT Carbon 112H 8ohm costs £750 so with the active element added, maybe £850-£950?

If they’re at the lower end of the scale at say £850, then an additional £150 gets you an Eich BC112 (30lbs or so) - the best combo I’ve ever used. I acknowledge there are differences between active cabinets and a combo of course - and weight is a factor too.

Edited by thebassist

7 hours ago, thebassist said:

I wonder what these active cabinets will be priced at?

Just looking at the Bass Direct web site and the passive AT Carbon 112H 8ohm costs £750 so with the active element added, maybe £850-£950?

If they’re at the lower end of the scale at say £850, then an additional £150 gets you an Eich BC112 (30lbs or so) - the best combo I’ve ever used. I acknowledge there are differences between active cabinets and a combo of course - and weight is a factor too.

The AT500 Cube combo is £1050 - a 9.5kg combo, and the AT800 (same as the AT500 but can also power an extension speaker) is currently out of stock so can't say what the price is.

48 minutes ago, tauzero said:

The AT500 Cube combo is £1050 - a 9.5kg combo, and the AT800 (same as the AT500 but can also power an extension speaker) is currently out of stock so can't say what the price is.

I'm in the market for something like this so its great timing. But I'm hoping it comes in at £850 tops otherwise I think I'll go with a combo for the added versatility.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone made a direct comparison between the BF BB2 and the GR AT112H+? I'm in the market for a used BB2, but it's not that much more than current (imho inflated!) asking prices of a used BB2 than for a new GR AT112H+. The BB2 is twice the weight but twice the power handling and 25% larger volume, so interested to know how that translates in terms of extension and output. 

Edited by ukbassboy

On 05/04/2021 at 16:57, MOSCOWBASS said:

My experience with BF big baby t and Big Baby 2 compared to my GR 210 and 112 is that the bottom end is bigger on the BF's. I don't have my BF's any more to do a side by side comparison, but I was always fighting a bit of boom with the BF's. That's why I bought a pair of BF one10s, and they were much better for me, although had to boost top a bit to compensate for lack of tweeters. At the end of the day I was left looking for more volume on occasions, I was pushing the one10s as far as I could without breakup. 

I bought the GR at210 to add to the BF one10s, but the GR 210 was much louder than the 2 one10s and didn't pair too well. So the one10s went and I got the GR at112h instead. I think the BB2 was more FRFR than the GR cabs....although I've still to gig the GRs, only played in the house so far. I like the tighter sound from the GRs. I would be interested to try the GR at110s that are now out....had they been out when I bought the at112, I may have gone for a pair of these instead, to go with the at210.

On 01/09/2021 at 10:07, MOSCOWBASS said:

I had a BB2 and sold it for 2x BFone10s. I found the one10s broke up a bit soon for my liking. I now have an AT210 and an AT112. The AT112 is same as the combo and sounds good. I haven't pushed it as far as the BB2, but it gives more clean power than the BF10s. I like the sound if the AT cabs more than the BFs. Time will tell how the Carbon cabs stand up to wear and tear, but mine are carefully carried in my own car, not thrown in the back of a van.

@ukbassboy you have come to the right place, I recall these helpful posts from MOSCOWBASS a short while back that may help. 

24 minutes ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

@ukbassboy you have come to the right place, I recall these helpful posts from MOSCOWBASS a short while back that may help. 

Cheers, I thought I had read all 15 pages of this thread (genuinely!) and remember reading the bit about the one10s but clearly missed the reference to the BB2! Thanks for the steer. 

Edit: although having said that, that comparison sounds like the 112 rather than the 112H+. Presume the more powerful woofer just equates to more output rather than different sound though? 

Edited by ukbassboy

22 minutes ago, ukbassboy said:

Cheers, I thought I had read all 15 pages of this thread (genuinely!) and remember reading the bit about the one10s but clearly missed the reference to the BB2! Thanks for the steer. 

Edit: although having said that, that comparison sounds like the 112 rather than the 112H+. Presume the more powerful woofer just equates to more output rather than different sound though? 

It's not a comparison to BF as that's probably one of the rare cabs I've not owned, so this is probably a moot post, but... out of all the cabs I have owned (Mesa, Markbass, Orange, Trace, Marshall, Laney, Phil Jones, among others) the GR cabs are right up there with the very best in terms of how they perform. I find my GR AT410+ to be more or less transparent, really articulate and obviously super light. They are excellent bits of kit IMO. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ukbassboy said:

It's a 450 watt 112H, now known as a 112H+

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's interesting that a lot of the discussion is about the durability. My gigging life means I'm always transporting my own gear. I've used a GK MB extension cab for years now. This is aluminium so hardly impact proof but is still in mint condition so I guess I should be ok with the carbon cabs. I'm considering getting a powered cab and running it with a darkglass or something similar. I'm up 3 flights of stairs and not getting any younger so the power to weigh equation definitely matters to me. Does anyone have experience of the powered cabs?

GR Bass doesn't make any powered cab...

I own a GR Bass AeroTech Full Carbon Combo 800 (8.2 kilos for 800 Watts at 4 Ohms and can even go down to 2.7 Ohms) and a GR Bass AeroTech Full Carbon 112+ Cabinet (6.3 kilos for 450 Watts at 8 ohms) and it's a back saver.

You won't find anything lighter and so powerful right now.

14 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

GR Bass doesn't make any powered cab...

I own a GR Bass AeroTech Full Carbon Combo 800 (8.2 kilos for 800 Watts at 4 Ohms and can even go down to 2.7 Ohms) and a GR Bass AeroTech Full Carbon 112+ Cabinet (6.3 kilos for 450 Watts at 8 ohms) and it's a back saver.

You won't find anything lighter and so powerful right now.

This is what I mean by powered:

https://www.grbass.com/portfolio/nf-110-350-act/

Maybe I should have said active? :)

3 minutes ago, WishICouldWalk said:

This is what I mean by powered:

https://www.grbass.com/portfolio/nf-110-350-act/

Maybe I should have said active? :)

Nope, you're right it's also powered cabinet as well, but they are not really available at the moment, so I guess nobody will have tried them or even seen them in the "flesh".

But they should be very interesting indeed.

24 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Nope, you're right it's also powered cabinet as well, but they are not really available at the moment, so I guess nobody will have tried them or even seen them in the "flesh".

But they should be very interesting indeed.

I'm waiting for a darkglass vintrage ultra preamp to arrive. If I get what I'm after in terms of tone from that, I may just take a leap of faith and order an active cab. Of course I'll share my findings on this thread :)

6 minutes ago, MOSCOWBASS said:

The powered GR cabs are available to order. Our keyboard player had just got one on the back of trying my GR bass cabs. He has a 112H 350 watt and is very pleased with it. I've plugged my bass into it without a preamp...just straight in to try it and it sounds great.

IMG_20230803_200703.jpg

Good to know. I've asked Bass Direct to order a 1x10 and I'm waiting to hear back.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WishICouldWalk said:

Good to know. I've asked Bass Direct to order a 1x10 and I'm waiting to hear back.

I have the 4Ω AT110 and it's fantastic. I can literally lift it with my pinky, and yet it holds its own in a big band. Here it is on our local bandstand - open air, with keys, drums and a dozen horns yet strangely loud enough!  Mine came from Bass Direct. At the time the 8Ω were on the shelf and I debated but went with the 4 to suck the most power from my amp.  

at110 - 1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Rosie C said:

I have the 4Ω AT110 and it's fantastic. I can literally lift it with my pinky, and yet it holds its own in a big band. Here it is on our local bandstand - open air, with keys, drums and a dozen horns yet strangely loud enough!  Mine came from Bass Direct. At the time the 8Ω were on the shelf and I debated but went with the 4 to suck the most power from my amp.  

at110 - 1.jpeg

Cool. I notice the active cabs have 4ohm drivers and I reckon the 350W power amp should be enough for my needs. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WishICouldWalk said:

Cool. I notice the active cabs have 4ohm drivers and I reckon the 350W power amp should be enough for my needs. 

I have a 250W amp, I've found it good enough and there's some reassurance that even flat out it shouldn't overload the speaker.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My GR cab turned up today. Initial impression is that it's pretty much what I was hoping for: light and loud. I've got the Natural Fibre 110 active. I'm using a Darkglass Vintage Ultra preamp I'm really happy with the sound. The cab doesn't add or take away anything. Just nice uncolored amplification. Have a gig coming up soonish so we'll see how it stacks up.

IMG_20231013_132607.thumb.jpg.b674c8052ab187b48d29ccb70bc1c26d.jpg

• Like 7