Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

18 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Read my earlier posts, as with the fender deluxe, the problem with the bass terror is that the existing master volume doesn't give fine enough control at low volumes.

I always read everything.

This is exactly where a master volume is placed and you already have one...

This trick is used on amps without a master volume to be able to use them at manageable volumes.

On old tubes (valves) amps, it is very usual to add this master volume for this exact purpose.

Don't forget that if it's badly made, you'll get a lot more noise too.

And I would add that the Orange Bass Terror is badly designed if the master volume is useless at low to very low volume as it's really what it's intended for.

2 hours ago, Hellzero said:

And I would add that the Orange Bass Terror is badly designed if the master volume is useless at low to very low volume as it's really what it's intended for.

I thought it was intended to go up to 11.

Stub's solution seems a good one, using a log taper pot. The OBT isn't necessarily badly designed, log pots generally aren't but are accomplished by having two segments of track with linear tapers, one a steeper taper than the other, and the characteristics of the log pot itself might give rise to the poor low level accuracy.

13 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Plywood is not light at all !

Not all plywood is heavy. Birch is and it is as tough as hell, spruce is very light and was used for the prototype BC112 MK3. However spruce is softer than Birch. Poplar is a good compromise. Its all relative. My BC112 MK3 weighs 12.4Kg, not as light as the GR equivalent but similar to a Big Baby II. It is also very well balanced. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, musiqman said:

Where did you got your 410 from? It looks like they have been discontinued. 

I got mine from Bass Direct. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, they are still listed on the GRBass website.

It is an amazing cab.

10 hours ago, JohnR said:

I got mine from Bass Direct. I haven't heard anything about them being discontinued, they are still listed on the GRBass website.

It is an amazing cab.

I concur sir.

I've had my GR AT410+ for 3 months or so now and it's superb. The weight is such an advantage and it has lost nothing in sound quality - in fact for me, even taking the weight out of the equation, it is the best cab I've owned by a margin, and I've had MANY. 

Currently pairing mine with the GR1400 Dual. A 1200w capable rig at 18kg. Every bass player's spines dream! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 16/04/2021 at 20:43, CookPassBabtridge said:

Nice! They look great. Although (and I may have not looked properly) I can’t see anything regarding weight on the product pages - which is a bit surprising.

I have  couple of their guitar cases and one of their bass cases and though I have not weighed any of them they are pretty light.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Looks like the top of the cabs have the carbon weave showing vs the pre-2022 ones that have tolex on top and weave on the sides.

Cool. Looks like they’re the same price as the AeroTechs, I presume it might shave something off the weight otherwise it seems a bit pointless to bring out a new version for cosmetics alone.

28 minutes ago, Wilco said:

I’m hopefully off to Bass Direct on Tuesday morning to try a carbon 212.

Any current GR users with carbon cabs got any longer term real world feedback on sound & durability?

I've had my GR AT410+ for around 6 months, I absolutely love it. 

For context, my prior rig was a Mesa Boogie Strategy Eight:88 with two 410 Powerhouse cabs, so I wasn't exactly coming from a shabby amateur rig! 

The AT410+ is obviously super lightweight, it sounds fantastic - very articulate, great bottom end, a really good all rounder. Construction feels a bit flimsy because of the weight, but it isn't - its a trick of the mind! I've had mine in and out of the car every week, up and down stairs once or twice a week, it's been used for maybe 6 hours at high volume every week and it's not missed a beat. 

I pair it with a GR Dual 1400 and it's pretty much the best rig I've had. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wilco said:

Any current GR users with carbon cabs got any longer term real world feedback on sound & durability?

Far from bullet proof. Not for throwing in a van.

Sound loud and beyond criticism.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wilco said:

Ooh. Be interesting to hear your thoughts once you’ve tried them. And if you get the chance to ask Mark what the difference between the Aerotech and True Carbon models is that would be awesome 😬

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Would mean the end of custom colours 😞

Henry Ford still managed to offer custom colours on the Model T, Coal Black, Crow Black , Midnight Black, Black Black and of course the exclusive Tar Black 😄