Why become a member? ×

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

karlfer

So I went to Bass Direct as planned this morning & purchased a…….. Vanderkley 212MNT 😬.

So the GR cab sounded great & was loud - no arguments there. Also very light as expected. However I felt very, very uncomfortable about its durability (didn’t help that one of the other GR cabs on display had a partly broken corner protector).

Yes, the Vanderkley is heavier & more bulky - but not by much. It was slightly cheaper to. I kinda felt that 1) I would be able to gig the Vanderkley for the rest of my bass playing days which wouldn’t be the case with the GR, & 2) despite carbon fibre being an expensive material, I felt I was getting more for my money with the Vanderkley. Obvs sound wise it’s mega too.

CFC81A3B-E742-4EF6-8A96-DA786FC49993.thumb.jpeg.bfaee797d9a4304ce4fbdadfb0bed75b.jpeg

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Wilco said:

So I went to Bass Direct as planned this morning & purchased a…….. Vanderkley 212MNT 😬.

So the GR cab sounded great & was loud - no arguments there. Also very light as expected. However I felt very, very uncomfortable about its durability (didn’t help that one of the other GR cabs on display had a partly broken corner protector).

Yes, the Vanderkley is heavier & more bulky - but not by much. It was slightly cheaper to. I kinda felt that 1) I would be able to gig the Vanderkley for the rest of my bass playing days which wouldn’t be the case with the GR, & 2) despite carbon fibre being an expensive material, I felt I was getting more for my money with the Vanderkley. Obvs sound wise it’s mega too.

CFC81A3B-E742-4EF6-8A96-DA786FC49993.thumb.jpeg.bfaee797d9a4304ce4fbdadfb0bed75b.jpeg

Once you've managed to stub out the heretic's flames, I totally understand your thinking and choice!

The GR aerotech cabs are really excellent in the sound they deliver. But I agree they're just not sufficiently sound from a construction robustness to avoid easy damage from the rough and tumble of regular gigging.

They would be fine, wrapped in cotton wool, at home. But you don't really need super lightweight if you are only playing your bass at home and not needing to transport your rig, do you? 

• Like 2

I've had mine for 7-8 months and have taken it out about about weekly since the day of purchase and it doesn't have a scratch on it. It goes in the boot with the rest of the gear, gets loaded in/out etc, it doesn't get treated any differently to any of the other cabs, so I respectfully disagree with the views on construction!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I've had mine for 7-8 months and have taken it out about about weekly since the day of purchase and it doesn't have a scratch on it. It goes in the boot with the rest of the gear, gets loaded in/out etc, it doesn't get treated any differently to any of the other cabs, so I respectfully disagree with the views on construction!

The material is inherently weak across the panel when subjected to impacts. So long as it doesn't cop a drop or a smack it's fine but woe betide an accident.

It is also inherently unsuitable for attaching anything to it with a screw. Go figure.

Sure it makes for a super light cab but it's inherently unable to stand up to being smacked around. Horses for courses applies.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

Sure it makes for a super light cab but it's inherently unable to stand up to being smacked around. Horses for courses applies.

I'd agree that the GR cab would sustain less hammer blows than a cab built from marine grade 13 ply board like Mesa cabs. But other things we gig with are much more fragile and worth a lot more so for me these cabs are perfectly stable enough for prolonged use - I don't intend to smash it with a hammer as much as I don't intend to drop my bass and crack it. Sure accidents will happen, but for me and my spine, these cabs are spot on!

Totally horses for courses - if you enjoy treating your cabs poorly or gig places where you expect your gear will get kicked to pieces then I guess these aren't for you, but if you look after your gear and don't gig active warzones then you'll be fine! 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Once you've managed to stub out the heretic's flames, I totally understand your thinking and choice!

The GR aerotech cabs are really excellent in the sound they deliver. But I agree they're just not sufficiently sound from a construction robustness to avoid easy damage from the rough and tumble of regular gigging.

They would be fine, wrapped in cotton wool, at home. But you don't really need super lightweight if you are only playing your bass at home and not needing to transport your rig, do you? 

I had the same thought Bas. Would be a great home/studio cabinet (the new full carbon version did look very sexy & would almost be a ‘cool’ talking point/feature to have at home), but keeping it just at home negates the light weight benefit. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

Well mine gets weekly trips out. The damage was due to falling off a chair, which could damage most cabs... the light weight partly mitigates the potential for damage, but I'm still waiting for a replacement corner.

My approach is gig it until it dies. Worst case, make a replacement cab with same dimensions out of ply and move the hardware over.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

The material is inherently weak across the panel when subjected to impacts. So long as it doesn't cop a drop or a smack it's fine but woe betide an accident.

It is also inherently unsuitable for attaching anything to it with a screw. Go figure.

The issue seems to stem from combining timber and carbon fibre panels to form the cabinet. If the whole cabinet was formed from a homogeneous carbon fibre mould (top, bottom, sides & baffle) the structure would have considerable more strength than a timber cab. The rear panel could be a carbon fibre component with integral bracing allowing assembly of the speakers and socket connections. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

I actually think this is the main construction issue. Most of the ‘damage’ complaints seem to stem from either the corner protectors or the feet.

Don’t think I’ve read about any issues with the carbon panels.

Are the screws effectively being screwed into the foam in the panel  ‘sandwich’. If so, can’t see that working too well, plus the screws are pretty small.

As I previously mentioned, there was an issue with a corner of one of the display cabs I saw, which wasn’t great to see.

Thinking about potential damage in that area, I thought it was going to be a case of ‘when’ not ‘if’ & I’m someone who is really, really careful with their gear.

Edited by Wilco
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Wilco said:

As I previously mentioned, there was an issue with a corner of one of the display cabs I saw, which wasn’t great to see.

Yeah, mine actually arrived with a couple of mangled corners and top edge from BD. The courier had clearly been less than brilliant, but even so.

Mark gave me a full refund.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, headofire said:

going a bit far

How so? Accidents happen. Never caught a foot on an uneven surface? Spare a thought for a cab foot secured by a screw into a CF panel.

Like I said, horses for courses. If you can be sure of babying it everywhere it goes CF is da bomb. If not, it's going to get ugly.

I've been using my 210 and 112H for over a year now...one or two gigs a week and haven't had any disasters yet. I do carry in my own car and I'm careful.....I do see why some people are concerned about damage, especially the corners. I just don't know what I would buy if there were serious problems with the construction. I like the sound so much I would be looking at the wood GR bass cabs I think. However, all good so far, you just have to be careful, as I am with my basses.

19 hours ago, headofire said:

Anyway let’s agree to disagree on these cabs, basschat doesn’t need another argument thread. 

It's not a case of disagreement. I only pointed out that CF foam sandwich is absolutely hopeless at resisting a point force applied across the grain. That is an undeniable matter of fact.

It's all horses for courses at the end of the day and you have decided you are an 'uber careful horse' able to insulate the CF wunder cab from the big bad world. All power to you. 

I ordered one of the AT 210's, didn't even get a chance to try it before it went back. Didn't survive the courier trip :(

Ended up going for a Barefaced BB2 G2 and absolutely love it.

IMG_8262.thumb.JPG.66a6dfcd940e35be23341f70908a75eb.JPGIMG_8263.thumb.JPG.8bbcb2be0d189ab0ad9a1a5b0a7c1cd5.JPG

Edited by mrn1989
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, mrn1989 said:

I ordered one of the AT 210's, didn't even get a chance to try it before it went back. Didn't survive the courier trip :(

IMG_8262.thumb.JPG.66a6dfcd940e35be23341f70908a75eb.JPGIMG_8263.thumb.JPG.8bbcb2be0d189ab0ad9a1a5b0a7c1cd5.JPG

Damn - those corners need a redesign & reinforcement 😕

4 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

It's not a case of disagreement. I only pointed out that CF foam sandwich is absolutely hopeless at resisting a point force applied across the grain. That is an undeniable matter of fact.

It's all horses for courses at the end of the day and you have decided you are an 'uber careful horse' able to insulate the CF wunder cab from the big bad world. All power to you. 

You do enjoy the last word.

This is not life and death like the Covid thread...

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, mrn1989 said:

Such a shame. Very similar pics of the damage to the AT 212 that arrived via courier, I posted a while back on this thread. Still sounded great though! It went back and my BF BB2 stayed in place as my gigging mainstay. 

It's almost as if you'd stolen my playbook! 😎 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mrn1989 said:

I bought the transit damaged Barefaced BT3 from Bassdirect last month it was damaged more than this with feet pushed through the cab and a hole in the top, bit of glue and cab stippling and it like new. 

Like anything look after it and it stays new. My GR BassAT212 are like new after 3 months of owning them .

6 hours ago, mrn1989 said:

Oh dear.  How on earth will that hold up on the road?!!  Looks a poor design for sure, however pretty it is.