Why become a member? ×

Country Music by Ken Burns

BrunoBass

Aye, any TV about music is up my street. Not a Country fan as such but some of the genre musicians are superb. Some of the comments about "Taking Country in a new direction" escape me as I could not hear a discernable difference from before but hey ho, what do I know. The number of top Artists who died young is almost a mirror image of Jazz and Rock and Roll. Willie Nelson is a bit of a hero of mine, the number of songs he has composed, and have been covered, is astounding.

• Like 2

Will there be a companion series on western music? Then we have the entire musical spectrum covered!

Seriously, I've watched it and enjoyed it immensely. I'm not really a big country music fan, particularly not the highly polished Nashville sound. But I particularly liked the episode on bluegrass which then meandered into outlaw country. I've not seen every episode but i was surprised by no mention of The Highwaymen? The Cash, Jennings, Nelson, kristofferson super group. But certainly enjoying it so far. 

It was on TV over here a month or two ago and I watched the whole series. I also saw the segment that showed how the film was made and also watched the concert at the Ryman Auditorium that was shown here before the actual series started.Excellent material and well done, typical Ken Burns work. Not as long or as in as much depth as his earlier Jazz production but I learned a lot and was well entertained. 

I'm a big Country fan and have been enjoying it. It's noticable though how much looks to have been cut out for the UK broadcast (16 hours down to 9 I think). No Everley Brothers, Don Williams etc. Precious little on country rock, Gram Parsons, Guy Clark, Townes van Zandt.

God I sound like a moaning bugger. 

15 hours ago, NHM said:

I've heard it is an edited down version

12 hours ago, Andy_L said:

It's noticable though how much looks to have been cut out for the UK broadcast (16 hours down to 9 I think)

If this is the case then it would explain why I've been watching it and yelling at the screen about every 10 minutes. Even the Missus (for whom Country is just ... OK) said 'This isn't one of Ken's best, is it?'

I was having a crafty snout at the back door this morning (it's where I do my best thinking) and musing to myself: 'That Ken Burns Country Music documentary isn't really about the music. They should have called it The Lives of Country Music's Biggest Stars'.

If those godawful bastards at the Beeb have edited it down I may have to take steps. Never forget these are the same people who inflicted Boxcar Willie on us for years and called it country.

(Edit)

Confirmed: 8 x 120 min episodes cut down to 9 x 50 min episodes :(

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Never forget these are the same people who inflicted Boxcar Willie on us for years and called it country.

I'm surprised that no one has found a cure for that yet - a most unpleasant condition, far worse than tennis elbow.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I'm surprised that no one has found a cure for that yet - a most unpleasant condition, far worse than tennis elbow.

To be fair, it was your lot (the Beeb) who each year would carry a week of Country music from Wembley (or somewhere), the high point of which would be when they sack-barrowed Slim Whitman on stage to shrieks of joy from denim-clad, tattooed geriatrics with long, greasy hair and droopy moustaches and that was just the women.

I know the BBC probably meant well but in presenting a very narrow range of artists which appealed to a set-in-their-ways audience they set back The Cause by decades. As we used to say, what's got 67 legs, 85 eyes and an oxygen tank? The front row at a Willie Nelson concert.

• Haha 3

Wasn't me, honest! I worked mostly for TV News, with a few years 'on attachment' to Documentary Features, which was the unlikely home of  the Clive James Unit. To be fair, some of his output was documentary, but not the bits I worked on. 

I was never involved in music at the beeb, though I did I play in a band made up mostly of BBC staffers at the time.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Wasn't me, honest! 

I was never involved in music at the beeb, though I did I play in a band made up mostly of BBC staffers at the time.

:) Oh, I know that, Dave. You cannot reasonably be held responsible for decisions made by an entirely separate part of the far-flung empire.

But then again, there are no other ex-BBC staffers in this thread and I'm not a reasonable man. So, basically, the abject failure of country music to establish itself in the UK is all your fault and you can send my compo to the usual address.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

:) Oh, I know that, Dave. You cannot reasonably be held responsible for decisions made by an entirely separate part of the far-flung empire.

But then again, there are no other ex-BBC staffers in this thread and I'm not a reasonable man. So, basically, the abject failure of country music to establish itself in the UK is all your fault and you can send my compo to the usual address.

Damnit, got me bang to rights, guvnor. I'll leave the dosh in the usual place.

• Haha 1

Country music hasn't established itself in this country because it's the wrong country. The language, the harmonies, the cultural touchstones are not ours. Not to mention a lot of the instruments. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of country music, and thoroughly enjoyed this series, but it will never be mainstream here because it just doesn't connect in the way it does in the States.

• Like 1

not a big fan of Country, in spite, or maybe because, of my ex dragging me off to line dances, (might be why she's my ex) but I'm enjoying the series, usually when I've come in from the pub after a few pints, sort of puts me in the mood for music documentaries.

A while ago I started a topic about whether people actually listen to lyrics, I don't usually, but it is important in Country, let's face it a lot of the melody lines sound the same, it's some of the sublime lyrics that make it listenable

• Like 1

Country and Western was very big in Ireland when I was there from the early seventies to late eighties.

Showbands delivered it in the dancehalls every Friday and Saturday night.  I used to hear artists like Johnny McEvoy, Big Tom and Philomena Begley regularly as we had to have it on in the bar that my parents owned almost constantly.  I can't say it grew on me that much.

image.png.2a24fff2557fc2d04845b3b5429828ac.png

image.png.9a0f5cae8b3519a48facac2c8eb282c2.png

image.png.7f84a61030dfcf6a06e659dc2090ba23.png

I enjoy American Country more.

Edited by SpondonBassed

51 minutes ago, neilp said:

Country music hasn't established itself in this country because it's the wrong country. The language, the harmonies, the cultural touchstones are not ours. Not to mention a lot of the instruments. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of country music, and thoroughly enjoyed this series, but it will never be mainstream here because it just doesn't connect in the way it does in the States.

I take your point, though it depends which country you're talking about. The principle musical roots of country music are to be found in Scotland and Ireland*, two countries where - er - country music is considerably more popular than in England or Wales, and where the fiddling tradition is still thriving. Even the religious lyrical aspects to be found in some corners of country music are founded in those beliefs and practises transported to the New World by English, Welsh and Scots dissenters. 

It is true, as you say, that there has long been a cultural difference between the UK and the USA. That said, the UK seems at various times to have have taken eagerly to consuming and performing Ragtime, Swing, Blues, Soul and RnB, musical forms which incorporate even more different cultural touchstones. Which is what makes it so difficult to understand why Country music is even less popular among regular punters than Jazz.

My take: prompted by vague memories of saccharine 'Countrypolitan' tunes and schlock like DIVORCE many people can't get out of the habit of laughing at country music and at fans who they perceive to be lachrymose plebs. Not true, of course, and things are changing thanks to alt-Country and the traditionalist revival.

* Combined with stuff from Central Europe, Mexico and Africa, obvs

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 2

Really enjoying the series, who doesn’t love a bit of Hank Williams.

However I feel short changed now I’ve discovered we’ve lost hours of the documentary. 😭. Anywhere we can see the full version in the UK? 

Edited by MrBen
Auto ‘correct’

10 minutes ago, MrBen said:

However I feel short changed now I’ve discovered we’ve lost hours of the documentary. 😭. Anywhere we can see the full version in the UK? 

I think I’m right in saying the full version is saved for the DVD release, certainly the case with the Jazz documentary.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrBen said:

Full version 8 disc region 2 DVD available from Amazon for (WTF!) £59.00.  Or £57.00 off eBay.

Then again, PBS in the USA has it on their website to stream for free but one would need a crafty VPN to spoof their region control.

• Like 1