Why become a member? ×

4 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That's great! thanks.

One final question which way around does the cable go? the plugs on the cable are flush on one side and slightly indented on the other. Which side faces outwards? I tried to take a photo to show this but with the mouldings being transparent it isn't even remotely obvious. If necessary I'll post a diagram later today.

Which ever way round makes a 'pan test' work. (and has the cable going up over your ear)

YouTube pan test

Funnily enough I was looking at mine last night for markings, or on the cable at least, whilst I was replacing the foam tips (one of them literally fell to pieces at the last gig). I know which earpiece is which, but the cable is completely unmarked. I can't remember if mine came pre-assembled or not as I bought them several years ago.

Edited by Greg Edwards69

I stuck the cables in what I thought was the right way round, then tested using panned-left and panned-right signals and realised I'd got them the wrong way round :facepalm:

However on closer inspection just now, I've realised that the end of the cables actually have "L" and "R" embossed in them! Very difficult to see on the clear ones unless the light is at the right angle. I've done my best to get a picture:

ZS10PRO.thumb.jpg.1b296bc5a1d73ffd325f89bf831d4e5f.jpg

The side of the cable with the letter on it should be on the outside, i.e. facing away from your head.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartinB said:

I stuck the cables in what I thought was the right way round, then tested using panned-left and panned-right signals and realised I'd got them the wrong way round :facepalm:

However on closer inspection just now, I've realised that the end of the cables actually have "L" and "R" embossed in them! Very difficult to see on the clear ones unless the light is at the right angle. I've done my best to get a picture:

The side of the cable with the letter on it should be on the outside, i.e. facing away from your head.

Many thanks. It's not easy to see is it? I needed bright light and a very careful examination of the cable to spot this even after you had pointed in out. Now I know which earpiece goes where and which is left and right time to see if they actually fit my ears!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MartinB said:

thanks, I had mine the wrong way round!

Thanks to @MartinB's helpful photo I have got mine assembled and they appear to fit my ears. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play anything through them, because I no longer appear to have a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adaptor handy. At the moment all the things I want to plug these into have 1/4" sockets and both my other headphones being pro models have 1/4" plugs fitted as standard. Until I find an adaptor or buy a replacement that's it for now...

On 12/07/2023 at 23:36, dave_bass5 said:

As i mentioned in private, ive not heard back from Lugs at all, and ive asked 3 times over the past year or so, but i did see a message on his FB page saying he has stopped doing re shells at the moment so he can concentrate on producing his own IEM’s.

This sort of puts me off placing an order and having no real comm’s. 

I have used Lugs to reshell my old UE6's and Robert did a fantastic job. His communication was to the point but excellent. I know he's busy and isn't currently offering reshells but that wouldn't put me off ordering a set of new IEMs from him. He's busy for a reason and that is the quality of his work at a very reasonable price. 

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

I have used Lugs to reshell my old UE6's and Robert did a fantastic job. His communication was to the point but excellent. I know he's busy and isn't currently offering reshells but that wouldn't put me off ordering a set of new IEMs from him. He's busy for a reason and that is the quality of his work at a very reasonable price. 

Yeah, i think if i do decide to go with him I’ll contact him directly rather than via his website. 

On 15/07/2023 at 10:02, dave_bass5 said:

Yeah, i think if i do decide to go with him I’ll contact him directly rather than via his website. 

He responds to meesages via Facebook messenger very quickly.

On 12/07/2023 at 18:11, dave_bass5 said:

Anyone got any opinion on the Lugs S2

I have to say my experience with Lugs earphones leaves a lot to be desired.  While the fit of the moulds and seal were both good - the sound was awful.  I bought a set of quad driver phones and the bass just sounded like mush.  I found I could never hear what I wanted, despite the phones running at ear-bleeding levels.  It seemed like all the drivers were just thrown into the earphones without any tuning/crossovers to make them sound good.  All 6 of my band have since moved on from Lugs for similar reasons.

• Like 1

This actually really surprises me to read. Having had correspondence with him (I quizzed him quite hard when he came to market), he seemed to know what he was doing, especially when he came to the choice of BAs and tuning.

On 13/07/2023 at 17:57, MartinB said:

Great spot - well done, I had to get a magnifying glass to see the marks on mine!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, acidbass said:

I have to say my experience with Lugs earphones leaves a lot to be desired.  While the fit of the moulds and seal were both good - the sound was awful.  I bought a set of quad driver phones and the bass just sounded like mush.  I found I could never hear what I wanted, despite the phones running at ear-bleeding levels.  It seemed like all the drivers were just thrown into the earphones without any tuning/crossovers to make them sound good.  All 6 of my band have since moved on from Lugs for similar reasons.

That’s worrying. Not so much that I think they will be rubbish, but it sounds like maybe they weren’t checked properly before being sent out (maybe). 

Did you get in touch about this? 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

That’s worrying. Not so much that I think they will be rubbish, but it sounds like maybe they weren’t checked properly before being sent out (maybe). 

Did you get in touch about this? 

I didn't.  I persisted with them for 6 months or more but just could not sacrifice any more gigs with terrible sound quality.  I tried everything possible with EQ and even tried amending my bass tone to suit, which in hindsight was the wrong thing to do.  Having went from a set of UE11 to these, the difference was stark.  I then moved to JH Roxannes and have never looked back.  Tight bass and crisp highs with no potential for hearing loss!  The Lugs ended up in the bin and now I use a set of KZ ZS10 as a backup which sound better IMO.

EDIT - I should add that I really wanted to like the Lugs as the guy is local to me (around 40 minute drive) and I loved the idea of a genuine contender in the IEM market being a local company.  Sadly it didn't work out like that.  Just my own experience!

Edited by acidbass
  • Like 1

It’s good to hear both sides when having to shop ‘blind’. 
Obviously this could be a one off, or just preference (I’ll go with the first though), but it does add to my list of negatives for using Lugs, although there are still more positives. 
I’m sure if it was a fault he would put it right, but at what cost and time to the customer. I’m a firm believer of the best customer service is the one you never need in the first place. 

Im having one more go at using standard tips this week, I’ve order a pair of Azla SednaEarfit XELASTEC ear tips. These are supposed to be quite sticky so I’m hoping for the best. 

I,d like to try the IEM route and am looking for the famed KZ ZS10. 

I found some on Amazon but something feels off as it's not the KZ brand, but some other weird name (like Linsoul, Kinboofi ou YinYoo...). And the description if off, too. 

Does anyone has a reliable source to get those ? 

Thanks. 

Edited by Henrythe8

My last ones were marked but didn't seem much point marking them currently, they so obviously only fit one way round that it takes longer to look than to try.

In fact, by looking, take one headphone, put the black rubbery bit on the right of the headphone. If the cable is at the top its the left ear, if it isn't its the right ear.

2 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

To be fair it does say the cables are marked L/R in the small sheet that comes with them. 
In my case I just couldn’t see them. 

The "manual" is somewhat ambiguous. The one that came with my IEMs says:

Distinguish headset direction, "L" is left, "R" is the Right

Under a drawing showing both the earpieces and plugs at the end of the cable, without actually saying which parts are marked "L" and "R". 

The immediate assumption is to look on the earpieces since they are bigger and actually have room for the markings.

I'll be putting a discrete colour blob on mine to allow me to quickly see which is which in low-light conditions - i.e. at your typical gig.

On 13/07/2023 at 18:30, markbunney said:

thanks, I had mine the wrong way round!

Me too! Using a magnifier app on the phone and then realising I was zoomed in a little too far, I managed to read the L and R.