Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass

basswesty

I currently use an Ashdown MK 500 and two custom built cabs, 4x10 and 1x15 (eminence speakers) both with HFH. I think it sounds very good but I am looking to change to something warmer sounding and lighter.
I see a lot of you are users of Mark Bass gear and I cannot find anything negative about them.

Would I benefit from just changing the head unit or is the 2x10 combo any good?

And what could I expect in terms of sound. I only use passive basses now and like lots of warmth.

Your help & thoughts please before I part with cash...
;)

Edited by basswesty

some people swear by them, some people swear at them ;)

They were the be all and end all not so long ago but now that there are more companies coming out with small heads, there's not as much love for them. nothing wrong with them but it does mean that you are likely to see more of them in the classifieds.

You've also got the Genz Benz Shuttles, Gallien Krueger MB2-500, Ashdown Little Giant and a couple of others.

I went the Genz route as it sounded the best for what I was looking for, having a variable gain tube preamp.

I swapped my ABM 300 head for an LMII as I wanted something with more head room, smaller and lighter. IMO the LMII lives in the same kind of tone space as the Ashdowns, maybe a bit warmer though and definitely easier to use. Cab wise I was using 2 ABM 2x10s, but eventually changed to a Schroeder 1212 as I wanted a one cab 4ohm solution. Couldn't be happier with this combination as it gives me the best on stage and FOH sound I've had from any rig. I also use passive basses (P and super J types).

I have the 2x10 combo & can't find anything to complain about.
I use 2 moogerfoogers & I am still amazed at how much low end this puts out when I go for a sub type sound using the MF-101 & then if I want clarity for tapping or anything else up the fretboard, it's there.

If you have a good sound from your current cabs then I would probably just get a head. Other option is to get the combo & add your 15"er if you want to get the full 500w from it.
I haven't managed to get my volume up as far as 1/2 way yet. Rehearsals last night I had the input gain at @ 10 o'clock & the output at @ 9 o'clock & I was the loudest one there out of me, 2 guitars & drums.

Only negative thing I can say so far is that I hardly touch the VLE & VPF controls. They stay pretty much at one position, but I suppose everyone has a different setting for these to get "their" sound.

I've had my LMII for nearly 3 years now. I really love it. (only ever played the head but the combo has exactly the same head.)
I guess the important things I would suggest you think about (and make yourself aware of) are:
1. It is a vary natural sound....if you like the natural sound of your bass (and have a good quality bass) then I get a feeling you'll love Markbass.
2. The DI is post EQ only on a lot of the modles (Since I run my amp fairly flat this is not a problem and doesn't "Over Colour" the sound...never had a sound guy complain but some dont like this (you can mod it to pre EQ yourself with an internal switch)
3. No tuner mute. This is the biggest complaint you'll hear about a lot of markbass gear...I just use a Planet Waves circuit breaker cable.

MarkBass have just release some new products as NAMM 2009:
LMIII: I think this is similar to LMII but has Post/Pre EQ switch on the DI and a line out level dial
Little Mark 800: As above but with 800W (instead of 500W)
Little Mark Tube 800: As above but with Tube pre and the very much needed Mute (why are they not on the other models....I'll never know) it also has phantom power.

You'll have to ask other people for views of things like the the digital power amp and tube amps...I've never used them.

I've probably done 150+ gigs with LMIIs ranging from tiny pubs to the Tower Ballroom at Blackpool - they're loud enough, sound great and they've never let me down. I recently tried and would recommend an R500 - basically a LMII with a valve in the preamp and that sounded fantastic although it's a bit more expensive.

From experience, I would recommend pairing a LMII with one or preferably two Aguilar 112 cabs and the same goes for Bergantino cabs. I also used mine with an Epifani UL310 and that was a superb rig. I've never tried the 2x10 MB combo but everyone I know who's had one swears by them.

I've got the 1x15 Jeff Berlin sig combo purely because it didnt have the tweeter in it. Had it for 2 years now no problems, only this week added a Traveller 151p 15" extension cab because of a large gig we were doing and boy did it hold it's own. Didnt bother going through the PA and ran on half gain and just over half master volume and I'm sure I was holding it back with the gain on the wireless too. Buckets of headroom, uncoloured tone, carry in one hand.

Just to add... Most of the bass players (read: more knowledgable than me) that have heard my setup think it has a warm tone - go figure- ;)

Edited by Monz

A lot of people have Markbass amps and cabs and think they're great but even more people seem to have the amps and prefer them with other makes of cab, me included. But, in my opinion, my Thunderfunk out performs my LM11 at every level, except weight.

I have had the SA450 for some time and agree that it gives a natural tone for your bass. The best sounding bass through mt MB id my passive US Jazz. I am now seriously considering a 4x10 upgrade. I have only ever used my MB through my old Ashdown 4x10. I wondering whether the £800 is worth the difference in quality. My only reservation is that just a 2x10 didn't sem enough for me, but that was in the shop. There is no replacement for cranking it up and gigging it especially in a crowded pub with no PA support.

[quote name='basswesty' post='385781' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:47 AM']I currently use an Ashdown MK 500 and two custom built cabs, 4x10 and 1x15 (eminence speakers) both with HFH. I think it sounds very good but I am looking to change to something warmer sounding and lighter.
I see a lot of you are users of Mark Bass gear and I cannot find anything negative about them.

And what could I expect in terms of sound. I only use passive basses now and like lots of warmth.
:blink:[/quote]

There's always someone to muddy the water, This time it could be me. For the moment, ignoring the need for lightness, are you able/have you tried turning the HFH's in one or more of the custom cabs?

Balcro.

[quote name='basswesty' post='385781' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:47 AM']....Would I benefit from just changing the head unit or is the 2x10 combo any good?....[/quote]
I would go for the head and wait for a quality cab (4x10, 2x12, 2 1x12) to come up for sale here, eg Epifani, Aguilar etc.

[quote name='Balcro' post='385894' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:06 PM']There's always someone to muddy the water, This time it could be me. For the moment, ignoring the need for lightness, are you able/have you tried turning the HFH's in one or more of the custom cabs?

Balcro.[/quote]

I presume you mean off? Unfortunately I can't, Might get that modified though...

[quote name='Balcro' post='385939' date='Jan 20 2009, 12:36 PM']You presume correctly. Sorry.

Balcro.[/quote]

No worries thanks.

Always used HFH's in cabs. Forgot what they sound like without them. I'll have to get a volume or on/off switch attached. Luckily the builder is a friend so it shouldn't be a problem. ;)

I've used markbass since they first appeared over here - I've had a selection of cabs but have mainly stuck to the old version of the 102HF cab with a LM C (yellow one) and now an LMII - great rig.

I've played through a few of the combos, does anyone else hate the tweeter in them as much as I do? the horn in the non traveller cabs is pretty good but the little piezo thing in some of them is sh*te.

I picked up an Epifani ul110 secondhand through basschat, it sounds wicked, but now I want that tone in a louder format - a ul310 might be on the cards.

The tweeter in the CMD 121P sounds harsh when using fuzz. But for cleaner sounds where I have the VLE on a little bit, the tweeter doesn't bother me in the slightest. Maybe it would if I was a Jazz slapper, but I'm more of a Precision fingerer.

Edited by dannybuoy

I bought this Markbass rig almost 2 years ago and love it. Warm, variety of tone, plenty of power and punch.

But I went from a crappy Peavy combo that was battered and I'd had for about 5 years so I got nothing to compare it with.

TO be fair, there may well be better amps out there, but this does a great job for me.

[quote name='basswesty' post='385781' date='Jan 20 2009, 10:47 AM']I currently use an Ashdown MK 500 and two custom built cabs, 4x10 and 1x15 (eminence speakers) both with HFH. I think it sounds very good but I am looking to change to something warmer sounding and lighter.

;)[/quote]

I have used a 2 x 10" combo with a Traveller 1 x 15" cabinet and found them warm, loud and light.
A friend was so impressed that he bought a 2 x 10" combo and added an EV 1 x 15" cab to run his Wal 5 through rather than his ampeg pre-amp and Chevin power amps.

I have just bought a 1 x 12" combo, it is superb and with a Bag End 1 x 15" cab plugged in and the amp cranked up, you may well think Armageddon is upon us!

Rhino.

[quote name='rhino' post='389667' date='Jan 23 2009, 03:26 PM']I have used a 2 x 10" combo with a Traveller 1 x 15" cabinet and found them warm, loud and light.
A friend was so impressed that he bought a 2 x 10" combo and added an EV 1 x 15" cab to run his Wal 5 through rather than his ampeg pre-amp and Chevin power amps.

I have just bought a 1 x 12" combo, it is superb and with a Bag End 1 x 15" cab plugged in and the amp cranked up, you may well think Armageddon is upon us!

Rhino.[/quote]

I had considered the 12" I do like 12's

Thanks

Craig

I believe they took a price hike last year which doesn't help, but that said I love my CMD121H combo.

Run pretty much flat with a hint of the filters and in & out around 9 o'clock it sounds great with my G&L.

Just picked up an Epifani 112 from here - tomorrow night will be its first outing - but I may well keep that in reserve for the few gigs we have where it is a house PA & I am not going through it.