Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass

basswesty

Another MB user here. Been using them for about 3 years now and have no complaints.
I had a ABM300 EVOII but felt it was not cutting it at gigs so i traded it in for a SA450. They do have a similar tone but the SA450 seems to have more punch and can of course go louder.
I think because they have a fairly neutral tone they seem to work well with a lot of different cabs.
Ive gone through Epifani, Ashdown and settled on Schroeder for my two rigs.

Always enough volume for any of my gigs and the filter do seem to make a usable difference, i tend to keep the EQ fairly flat and use the filters most of the time.

Someone mentioned the DI on the LMII is post EQ but this si easy to change by moving a jumper in side so i dont see that as a problem. Im pretty sure this works with the combo's as well.

Although there is now a lot of competition in this small head area I believe MB is also popular for the tone the amps produce so it might be a while before they fall out of favour, IMHO of course.

The LMIII should be out soon, also the LM800 and the LM tube and LM tube 800. thats the one im waiting for :-)

I am wanting a new amp and my top 2 choices are an Ashdown ABM500 EVO III head and a Markbass LMII.

I've been and tried the Ashdown out and really like the sound. Am planning to go and A/B the two amps at the weekend. I have to travel further to find a Markbass stockist near lincolnshire. Off to Doncaster.

Which would you get and why?

[I'm disappointed that the LMII doesn't have a mute switch, as this is a pretty basic function that I use all the time. Maybe it's not as needed for a gig, but I play in church and need to mute to tune and mute when we finish playing etc.]

[quote name='jim_bass' post='393936' date='Jan 28 2009, 06:55 PM']I am wanting a new amp and my top 2 choices are an Ashdown ABM500 EVO III head and a Markbass LMII.

I've been and tried the Ashdown out and really like the sound. Am planning to go and A/B the two amps at the weekend. I have to travel further to find a Markbass stockist near lincolnshire. Off to Doncaster.

Which would you get and why?

[I'm disappointed that the LMII doesn't have a mute switch, as this is a pretty basic function that I use all the time. Maybe it's not as needed for a gig, but I play in church and need to mute to tune and mute when we finish playing etc.][/quote]

Ive posted my views before but always happy to post them again :-)

I had a ABM 300EVOII and while i did like the tone I felt it sounded sort of muffled once the whole band were playing. Also i felt it sounded under powered compared to my MAG300 that has the same power rating.
I traded it in for a SA450 pretty quickly and am over the moon with the MB tone, not to mention the size and weight.
Some people, myself included, say that the two heads arent too far apart tone wise. Both seem to have a warm tone but i feel the MB is a bit more solid sounding. Of course, if tubes are your thing then the ABM has the advantage.

I may be in the minority but one of the plus points for me with the ABM was the mute button. I was very disappointed to find out that mine (and all the others in the bass centre at the time) were more like attenuators and didn't completely mute the sound. I emailed Ashdown about this and they said its working as it should. Hmmm.

Just my experience and i know others will disagree with some of that. Best to try them both.

Oh, and there are 4 new LM heads coming out soon, and the do have a mute switch as well as a better DI and limiting section. might be worth waiting.

[quote name='jim_bass' post='393956' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:14 PM']thanks.

Thats crazy. A mute button that doesn't mute!!! LMAO[/quote]

Yeah, bloody stupid.
As i said, i asked Ashdown about this, tested 3 other ABM heads in the Bass centre and posted this question on TB (this was about 2 years ago, might even have been three) and got the same answer/result. But ive not really heard of anyone else posting about this so maybe i was just unlucky.
It does attenuate quite a bit and until i pointed it out on TB no on had really heard this happening and im sure at a gig it wouldn't be a big problem but i did hear a thump when i plugged my bass in, with the mute button on.

I've used a MB SA450 paired with two Aguilar GS112's for the last three years now. I went for thr SA450 over the LM because of the variable DI out gain and the semi-parametric mids. As others have mentioned, a decent stomp box tuner is pretty useful - I've got the Korg one with the brushed metal case; can't remember the model. Anyway, for me this set up is brilliant. It's plenty loud enough for rehearsals with just one cab and at gigs I tend to use both and tilt the whole lot back. I don't use the VPF filter at all as I don't tend to do any slapping but I've always found the VLE filter pretty useful. I may change my cabs soon, not because there's any problems tone-wise but simply because I'm lusting after one of Alex's Barefaced Bass Big Baby's that he's presently got on the drawing board. If it wasn't for these I think my GAS would be pretty much sated by the MB/Aggy combination!

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='393973' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:31 PM']Yeah, bloody stupid.
As i said, i asked Ashdown about this, tested 3 other ABM heads in the Bass centre and posted this question on TB (this was about 2 years ago, might even have been three) and got the same answer/result. But ive not really heard of anyone else posting about this so maybe i was just unlucky.
It does attenuate quite a bit and until i pointed it out on TB no on had really heard this happening and im sure at a gig it wouldn't be a big problem but i did hear a thump when i plugged my bass in, with the mute button on.[/quote]

The mute buttons cuts the power section only not the preamp so you can still use the tuner out.

Mute on or not you'll still get a thump from the preamp. Plugging in when the amp is already on = bloody stupid ;)

[quote name='Protium' post='396877' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:49 PM']The mute buttons cuts the power section only not the preamp so you can still use the tuner out.

Mute on or not you'll still get a thump from the preamp. Plugging in when the amp is already on = bloody stupid :P[/quote]

Im not talking about the tuner out, im talking about the speaker out (ie, i can still hear my bass through the cab).

It may be "bloody stupid" but im sure we have all done it and with the mute on i dont see why its stupid. Isnt that what the mute button is for ;)

From [url="http://www.jazzreloaded.com/blog/archives/409"]jazz reloaded[/url]

[i]Markbass Effect Pedals
- VLE VPF Booster: our popular VLE (Vintage Loudspeaker Emulator) and VPF (Variable Preshape Filter) filters, a clean boost, and a top-quality active DI box all in one;
- Yellow Box: top-quality passive DI box;
- Compressore: full featured tube compressor with gain, threshold, ratio, attack and decay controls, as well as a built-in active DI;
- Distorsore: flexible two-tube distortion with high-pass filter so you can distort only your high frequencies, also with an active DI output;
- Octaver: classic analog effect that adds one or two octaves below, with the option to separate your wet and dry outputs;
- Chorus/Flanger: top-quality digital signal processing, with a display and a USB port which allows you to modify the parameters of the pedals on your computer to customize the effects the way you like them!
- Riverbero: wide range of high-fidelity reverbs that can be fine-tuned on your computer.
- Synth: exciting synth-bass tones, also customizable with the included software and USB connection. [/i]

I hope I'm not raising my expectations too high, but some of these descriptions sound seriously tasty. When I got to 'USB' I got so excited I think I let out a bit of wee.

If the new products do indeed go into production in April, then I think I'll hold out for a Little Mark III, as it's the same price as a LMII but better. ;)

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='396883' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:57 PM']I use a MB LMK with Aguilar GS212. Swapped it for ABM setup. The MB/Aguilar for me is an ultimate sound. I use a Stingray and sometimes a p bass. Does anything you could wish for. I dont think I've ever needed to go above 1.5 or 2 on the volume. Wont be swapping for a long time![/quote]

My rig's a Markbass LMK plus 2 Bergantino AE112 1x12's and a passive (but high output) Shuker precision 5.

I use the two channels on the LMK to switch between cleanish and full on gut shaking reggae sound.
The channel switch can turn each on and off individually so the flexibility of that is very helpful. Just turn off both for mute, though you need a foot switch with indicator lights - the MB ones doesn't have that .. another bit of "Doh!" design ;)

I've just has a chat with Mark at BassDirect about getting a warmer sound than I was managing, and without resorting to pedals. He recommended different settings for the filters and that's worked well so far.

I also has a Scroeder 1212L for a year and that was great too.
I'd say try a MB head with your current cabs, then change cabs if you feel the need (or the back twinges :P)

I said i would never get a combo again and that i'd always stick with 10" speakers (Come from an Eden wT800 & 6x10")....so that went out the window - Now a Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo & Markbass 15" Ext cab! it's kind of like the perfect rig for a reggae sound with the speaker emulator almost full on-however i've been dabbling in my fonk again and i am quite impressed with 15"'s for a slap sound....pretty clean! A tube input would be nice...but to be honest its warm, light, i like the yellow and its phat!

Gwan blaze de Markbass fyah - Bit like Robbie Shakespeare - Irie ;)

Edited by Rasta

[quote name='Rasta' post='400959' date='Feb 5 2009, 01:07 PM']I said i would never get a combo again and that i'd always stick with 10" speakers (Come from an Eden wT800 & 6x10")....so that went out the window - Now a Markbass Jeff Berlin Combo & Markbass 15" Ext cab! it's kind of like the perfect rig for a reggae sound with the speaker emulator almost full on-however i've been dabbling in my fonk again and i am quite impressed with 15"'s for a slap sound....pretty clean! A tube input would be nice...but to be honest its warm, light, i like the yellow and its phat!

Gwan blaze de Markbass fyah - Bit like Robbie Shakespeare - Irie ;)[/quote]

You could always stick a tube stomp box infront of the input if you need tubeness ..

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' post='404307' date='Feb 9 2009, 02:04 PM']i played through one in a gear shop once and my god it was sweet!

I would kill to own a nice Mark bass setup, the only problem is [b]why do they cost SO much more than others[/b]? especially the cabs as i think that Eden cabs are probably better, but thats just my opinion[/quote]

I think you have answered the question yourself in para 1 ... ;)