Why become a member? ×

Lifers

ped

Dunno with basses - I'm very fickle, my Natural DJ4 with black blocks I suppose, it's great and the Spector Euro 4LX that I got before Christmas is already feeling like I've had it forever .

But with guit*rs I have a 1987 US Strat and a 1997 PRS Custom 22 that aren't going anywhere, they are both peaches and I wish I could find a bass that's as good in [i]every single way[/i] as the PRS.

My Sei 6 string flamboyant.

It's the 4th Sei that I've owned, but this one was built for me by Martin.

I ordered it in September/October 2006, and collected it early last year.

It teally is the one bass that I'll never sell, I came close to buying a Fodera last year, but in the end decided that there was just no point, the Sei was tons better, and I just didn't see the point in buying something else.

I have other basses too, but they don't come near the Sei, I have them just to please other people.

I got a '88 Mesa 400+ for not much it was blowing fuses and was missing the front grab handle (!?!Hard Life?) I serviced it and resoldered all the connections and will never sell it, although it does appear Knacked it sounds great but basses they will always come and go.

Edited by Geddys nose

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='384266' date='Jan 18 2009, 07:17 PM']My Sei 6 string flamboyant.

It's the 4th Sei that I've owned, but this one was built for me by Martin.

I ordered it in September/October 2006, and collected it early last year.

It teally is the one bass that I'll never sell, I came close to buying a Fodera last year, but in the end decided that there was just no point, the Sei was tons better, and I just didn't see the point in buying something else.

I have other basses too, but they don't come near the Sei, I have them just to please other people.[/quote]

That bass is [i]so[/i] stunning. My next Sei will likely be very similar but with less strings (haven't decided on 4 or 5 yet).

My sunburst Status Groove.I bought it unseen from Flying Pig in Hanwell because of a review in a magazine.It now sports numerous chips and dents as well as an oak thumb rest.
The only way to get it from me is to prise it from my cold dead hands1

I always regretted selling my original 1987 Status SII, so I was relieved to find my pristine 1990 model. But the one I'd never sell is my no.1 bass. It's a late 2007 S2-Classic in walnut/mahogany with the walnut tone block & it's tone, growl & sheer power literally blows the socks off every other bass I've ever played. This bass is my sound & it's going nowhere!

Ask me in 10 years time, if I still have my Warwick dolphin it'll be that. My problem is I don't have the funds to own 2 or more expensive basses. At the mo I am hankering for a Sandberg California a Lakland P or J copy or a Warwick Thumb. To try and kerb my GAS I have a little project going on but Mrs Tbass isn't helping by wanting an MM copy ;) .

I can't imagine letting any of the current stable go, but you'd have to pry my '71P from my cold, cold hands.

I bought it unseen from TEH INTERNETZ from a nice man in Indianapolis a few years back, when eBay wasn't full of villains. It's virtually immaculate, and sounds like a P should. Absolutely irreplaceable for anything but silly money.

Edited by wateroftyne

My 82 JV squier Precision. They're appearing on ebay for ridiculous money these days but it's been in my life since 1989 when I decided to stop playing on my pedals and EQs and start playing music. I flogged my Stingray 5 and bought this from the Bass Centre and although I still hanker after a 5 string Musicman that's just for want of having one rather than needing one.

Just having had a good long think about this over the last 24 hours. Out of all mine I'd never ever sell either the Black Gus or the Sei Flamboyant Offset fretless as both of those were specially made for me. There's 5 more (the other 2 Gus Basses, my 2 Overwater Originals and the Born To Rock) that I'd need to be in serious financial difficulties before I'd even consider parting with. Then there's two more, the Pedulla Buzz and the LightWave Sabre A that would only be sold if I was replacing them, in the case of the Buzz with a Pentabuzz and the Lightwave with something else with Lightwave pickups like a Ritter Raptor...

Ok, if it was 1 and only 1 bass, it has to be "Jezebel" my Sei Offset Flamboyant 7 string.

It's an amazing instrument to play and I wanted to place an order for 12 years or so. This is the first bass I pick up when I go to play regardless of the song that I'm playing to or trying to learn.

P.S. I also wouldn't sell my James Tyler or Jackson 'Kip' Winger' bass or this which is nearly complete....

My Wals. I could add to them, but could never sell them. Maybe they'll be inherited by my now just about 2-year-old daughter.

The other one I'll never sell is the 1975 Fender Jazz that my father purchased for me from Sam Ash in NYC when I was a budding bassist of 14 years-of-age. It's ash with the maple neck and block inlays. I've done modifications over the years and am just about to find a reputable restorer to get it back to to stock. It has always sounded great and those that have had the chance to play it say it is one of the best sounding they've played.

Edited by AndroWal

My Zoot <<<<<

Haven't even had it a year. I had a bit of money saved up for something special (i'm the only one in our band that doesn't squander gig money!) and was looking at USA Jazzes. Tried a few and none grabbed me so i left it at that.

Then i saw this on ebay for £900 BIN. Loved it! Couldn't justify spending the money (i was looking at Warwick Fortresses and non-USA Tobias basses at the time). Kept a note of the seller and over a period of a few months noticed the price drop to £800. I mailed him to see if he would take any less (meaning £50 or so), and got a very flat response telling me the bass was worth well over a grand and he was in no rush to sell it.
About a week later he'd obviously had a change of heart and had dropped the price to £710! Hit BIN, but couldn't complete until i had paid and my Paypal account wouldn't go over £600!
In the end i had to wait another week to get it verified and every few hours i was checking ebay on my phone to make sure someone else hadn't nabbed it!
Eventually paid for it, the bass was sent via Parcel Force 48. It took about a week to arrive though, cue a lot of worrying and pacing up and down!

Within 5 mins of playing it unamplified it was at the top of the tree. Unbelievably loud, clear and focused, couldn't wait to plug it in and play with the Aquilar pre!

I cringe every time i remember considering spending £740 on a Fender.........

[quote name='7string' post='384370' date='Jan 18 2009, 09:15 PM']Ok, if it was 1 and only 1 bass, it has to be "Jezebel" my Sei Offset Flamboyant 7 string.

It's an amazing instrument to play and I wanted to place an order for 12 years or so. This is the first bass I pick up when I go to play regardless of the song that I'm playing to or trying to learn.

P.S. I also wouldn't sell my James Tyler or Jackson 'Kip' Winger' bass or this which is nearly complete....

[/quote]

That is simply stunning!

My CIJ '57 P bass

I wanted a Squier JV and couldn't afford it so got this off a guy who imports them secondhand from japan.
Wipes the floor with every (and its a limited number!) of fender basses ive played. In a different league to the MIA i had considered buying.
I put the annodized gold scratchplate on it.
It just feels right in my hands and has a massive output seeing that it is a passive bass. Amazing neck.
Straight into a DI box the tone of the thing is as good as ive heard, It sounds just like a bass should in my head.

After getting it i sold the status shark i had started playing with and bought a '91 warwick ss1 off of warwickhunt. Even though my head knows that in many ways it is a far better bass it has made me fall in love with my fender again

[quote name='budget bassist' post='384555' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:06 AM']my SUB bass won't be going anywhere i don't think. I've had it a year, and i just love the sound, the looks and the playability, and now they're discontinued they can only become more valuable![/quote]

you were thinking of selling a few weeks back wern't you??? ;)

[quote name='ped' post='383807' date='Jan 18 2009, 10:49 AM']Hi folks,

Over the years I have seen members come and go, millions of basses change hands and a few fads wax and wane. I wanted to see who, during this seemingly never ending process of gear buying/selling, has been fortunate enough to have found 'the one'. I don't mean your favourite bass at the moment, or the one you have had the longest, but the bass you will ALWAYS keep and use the most, the one that is 'your' sound.

So have you got the bass for you? I know of a few people who have, so post pics and maybe a lil story or a bit of info about the bass that makes it special. It might cost a tenner, ten grand or anything in between...

Cheers
ped[/quote]

Funny you should ask. I'm imminently taking possession of my (active) custom Iceni, and hopefully some time in the year I'll be taking home my (passive) custom Shuker. Once I have these 2, I can't imagine buying anything else - not least coz I won't be able to afford to! I'm not saying GAS will never strike, and I hope that's not the case. I'll always enjoy looking and playing new/old/vintage/custom/etc basses. Being a bass player is not what I do, it's what I am.
The point is these 2 basses reflect not only my bass playing life, but my life experience to get to the point of owning them. There will be a thread, but these are the 2 I will never be parted from ;)