Why become a member? ×

Lifers

ped

Probably only my Westone Concord I, my first bass. Otherwise I'm beginning to be of the opinion that a bass as far as I'm concerned is a tool to do a job with. I had a chance to play a Fodera Monarch a couple of weeks ago-absolutely gorgeous bass, but I couldn't see me digging into it with a pick the way I do with my Precisions. It made me think about my attitude to my basses. I love them, and I don't deliberately mistreat them, but I don't see any point in babying them either. If they get dinged in the course of things, well, no big deal. If push came to shove, particularly if I wasn't gigging any more, I don't think I'd hang on to them for long. As long as I'm playing live and have a use for them, I wouldn't part with them, but if not, there's a lot of money tied up in them I'd probably want to try and at least partially recoup. The Westone, on the other hand, has stayed with me, and it isn't worth much anyway, so there's no point flogging it!

[quote name='Stylon Pilson' post='385007' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:48 PM']I think I'd be able to part with any of my basses if something better came along.

S.P.[/quote]

I'd probably agree with that, I dont get much of an emotional attachment. Never understood people who'll keep their first bass even if they've got much better ones, i sold my PK40 for £20 and was happy for that, it was a blight on all bass-kind.

I won't count my heavily modified Squire Precision as it was my first bass and I can't get rid of it for sentimental reasons.

My Warwick Thumb Bolt-On 4 is DEFINITELY a keeper. I've had it since 2003 and it embodies exactly how I think a bass should feel and sound.

The custom Shuker I've commissioned will be rated against my Warwick and I've included a lot of nods to Warwick design.

I picked up a standard US Jazz about 8 years ago. Simply the best bass I had ever played. I bought a Marcus Miller earlier this year and its great. However I just fancied gigging my old bass afew months ago and I haven't put it down since. I swapped the neck last night for a Jap 62RI neck I got from the states before Christmas and this bass is now even better.

I think its the one ;)

Im now wndering what to do with my Marcus. I haven't really got on with the active pups although the neck and playability is fantastic.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='384074' date='Jan 18 2009, 03:38 PM']my '81 Precision I bought new from Rockbottom for £260 with my wages for working all summer in Bejams. I recently refitted the eighties EMG pick up I fitted andtook out a few years ago, but this time running it off 18v - It sounds massive now.[/quote]

Is the eighties EMG P much different from the current model?

I have had my Rickenbacker 4001 since I was 17 (24 years ago). I have owned and tried some other lovely basses but nothing has come close. Funny thing is I never went to buy the Rick as I had my eye on a Fender Jazz bass. However after playing it and hearing the vintage sound from the toaster pickup I had to have it - cost me £275! Won't let this one go.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='384557' date='Jan 19 2009, 12:08 AM']My CIJ '57 P bass

I wanted a Squier JV and couldn't afford it so got this off a guy who imports them secondhand from japan.
Wipes the floor with every (and its a limited number!) of fender basses ive played. In a different league to the MIA i had considered buying.
I put the annodized gold scratchplate on it.
It just feels right in my hands and has a massive output seeing that it is a passive bass. Amazing neck.
Straight into a DI box the tone of the thing is as good as ive heard, It sounds just like a bass should in my head.

After getting it i sold the status shark i had started playing with and bought a '91 warwick ss1 off of warwickhunt. Even though my head knows that in many ways it is a far better bass it has made me fall in love with my fender again[/quote]

having written the above i went to the 'for sale' section, saw something and now both my basses are up for grabs!
oh dear.