Left leaderboard
Storky

Pedals for synth and double bass sounds

I’ll admit to knowing next to nothing about effects pedals, so am after advice/pointers. If I want to replicate 80s synth bass sounds, with an arpeggiator, is there a pedal that can do this? Similarly, on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar? Wouldn’t a unit combining this functionality be a winner?

the "pedal" for an electric bass to sound more like a double bass is a piece of foam wedged under the strings.

If you want to go deeper than that, a Ukulele bass sounds a lot like a double bass thanks to its plastic strings.

• Like 1

Double bass sounds can be had by muting the strings with the edge of your picking hand and plucking with your thumb - helps if you roll the tone off too!!

Thanks guys, I know about foam and hand muting, I’m really after info about if there is a pedal that replicated the tone of a DB and/or the 80s synth sounds. Thank you @Leonard Smalls for the pedal advice,👍 this is what I’m after. Anyone know of any others, either for the DB sound or the 80s synth sounds? 

3 hours ago, Storky said:

I’ll admit to knowing next to nothing about effects pedals, so am after advice/pointers. If I want to replicate 80s synth bass sounds, with an arpeggiator, is there a pedal that can do this? Similarly, on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar? Wouldn’t a unit combining this functionality be a winner?

Have a look at the Source Audio C4 for the synth sounds I'm really tempted by one of these

• Like 1

Boss SY-1 will do 80s synth sounds and has an excellent arpeggiator.

It comes in compact Boss pedal form factor and is the least expensive of the current "top 3" bass synth pedals (the FI and Source Audio C4 being the other two and already mentioned above). Doesn't require any PC editing, but the flip side is that you'll need to note down your favourite settings as it doesn't store presets (the reverse is true for the FI and C4 i.e. both require PC / phone editing to get the best out of, but can both store presets).

I'm a big fan of the SY-1 and also have a FI that has been recently upgraded with some excellent new firmware, which our very own @Quatschmacher was closely involved in developing.

Please be warned however, the view expressed by some of our esteemed BC'ers is that these pedals: "just do an array of amusing - but ultimately of little real world use - bleeps, squeaks and farts" 😂

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Have a look at the Source Audio C4 for the synth sounds I'm really tempted by one of these

Thanks, that’s the sort of info I’m after 😁

Thanks also to @Al Krow excellent info. I’ll be checking all these out. 

4 hours ago, Storky said:

on a keyboard I can cop a double bass sound, but is there a pedal that will let me access these sounds via a bass guitar?

Was this keyboard a midi controller and VST?  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPF82ZCRTA   The issue with using a bass guitar as a midi controller is that they can't track the low notes.

1 minute ago, jrixn1 said:

Was this keyboard a midi controller and VST?  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJPF82ZCRTA   The issue with using a bass guitar as a midi controller is that they can't track the low notes.

No, just the DB sounds on a synth, can’t recall which one but it sounded quite authentic. Good point though; latency would likely be an issue for midi control 🤔

Picking up on the two points above: for authentic synth sounds - I'd suggest that FI is the winner here (and not too shabby at tracking either). For outstanding, flawless tracking, the SY-1 is gob-smackingly good.

1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

+1 for the C4. This is next on my shopping list!

A used Boss GT6B?  I'm pretty sure it has a de-fretter effect, definitely synth bass sounds and a ton of other stuff. Might be a bit too involved as a unit for what you are looking for, but maybe worth looking into though?

🎸

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Boss SY-1 will do 80s synth sounds and has an excellent arpeggiator.

Love to get my hands on a Boss SY-1 but still seem to be out of stock 😞

2 minutes ago, AlphaK said:

Love to get my hands on a Boss SY-1 but still seem to be out of stock 😞

Yeah I think @fretmeister has been waiting for his for a couple of months. I guess I was lucky in putting a pre-order in and getting one of the first batch to arrive. Seems to me that Boss have underestimated demand for this unit as there have stories of bottlenecks all over the place, not just in the UK.

12 hours ago, itu said:

I already mentioned the new mooers in another thread. Please check E7 and Tone capture.

mooeraudio.com/

Completely missed the arrival of the E7 - will be checking that one out further! 

Blimey, it's polyphonic and has an arpeggiator! All for £85. If it has decent tracking, then I suspect this could end up in several Xmas stockings. The only other caveat is that it wouldn't surprise me if Mooer release a B7 bass focussed variant. 

Edited by Al Krow

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Completely missed the arrival of the E7 - will be checking that one out further! 

Blimey, it's polyphonic and has an arpeggiator! All for £85. If it has decent tracking, then I suspect this could end up in several Xmas stockings. The only other caveat is that it wouldn't surprise me if Mooer release a B7 bass focussed variant. 

A lot of features for the money. Lo cut, hi cut would be a useful by themselves with 100% dry and attack speed settings available for swell type effect. And ability to save presets. Limitation seems to be 7 sounds vs 121 on the SY1. Not sure whether it tracks anything like as good on bass as it does on guitar.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Marky Screen
      Lived without using this for 6+ months so its up for grabs.
      Ungraded to the latest v3 firmware and sound bank.
      Includes a Roland UM One midi converter in Good condition with driver disc or you canno take £20 off asking if you just want the pedal.
      Includes UK postage.

• By EdLib-3
      Up for sale is my Bridge Cetus, a stunning instrument  that I bought new from Promenade Music in 2018. It has never been gigged or even left my flat, subsequently it is in pretty much new condition. I am selling this with regret as a result of wrist issues that due to an pre-existing condition, are making it very difficult for me to progress on the instrument.
      Here are the specs taken from the Bridge Violins website:
      Body: hollow moulded bodyshell, from carbon fibre and kevlar composites
      Headstock and neck: The neck and headstock are carved from a single maple block. The
      headstock design is a modified copy of the 1710 Stradivari Viola da Gamba head. The neck is hand coloured and finished with oils, for a fast, smooth, traditional finish.
      Fingerboard: Ebony fingerboard

Machine Heads: brass Tyrolean style engraved brass plate machine heads

Nut: Ebony nut.

Bridge:
      The Bridge pick up system is encapsulated within the bridge, designed
      by Bridge.

Tailpiece: ebony tailpiece.

Endpin: Basses use an ebony plug, notched steel rod with brass screw and ferrule, and
      removable rubber protector.

ELECTRONICS

Bridge Pick-Up System:
      The pickup system is designed by Bridge and unique to these instruments. It uses a piezo crystal configuration giving an accurate acoustic sound with an even tone. The pickup uses all mechanical movements of the instrument to generate its acoustic sound.

Bridge Active Circuitry: has a sophisticated active circuitry dedicated to the frequency range of the instrument, uses a 9V battery giving approx 3000 hours playing time.

This bass has a surprisingly natural and woody tone for an instrument with a carbon fibre body, it's the best sounding  EUB around in my opinion. You'll notice that the back plate that houses the 9V battery cavity is lined with Blu Tack; this is not to mask a defect, it was done because the back panel is made of light material and vibrated slightly when I played certain notes on the instrument unplugged. This slight buzz was not audible when it was played amplified.
      Not looking for trades, just a sale please. As you can see, the soft case the bass came with offers little in the way of protection so it's collection only from the Preston Park area of Brighton. The bass comes with the aforementioned soft case, a horsehair German Double Bass bow and some rosin. These basses don't come up for sale very often - this one is in practically new condition, they  go for £3,250 new.  Come and try it out yourself. Message me with any questions or for additional pictures.
      Here's my feedback:
      https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/306417-feedback-for-edlib-3/

• By Quatschmacher
      Copied from @Andras Szalay‘s TB announcement:

Dear friends,

No more “it is almost there!”, rather “it is here, really!!!”.

We have put an enormous work behind us. It was mentioned here on the forum that “Andras is a one man engineering team”. While this was the case in the beginning, the Future Impact v3 as released today is a product well beyond what any single individual could have accomplished. Over the last few months an extremely talented international team helped me, and the FI v3 is the result of our joint effort.

Let us all recognize and applaud the members of the team:

- Peter Kenney (UK): Product design, writing the User Guide , editor testing, sound design.
      - Gabor Lippenyi (Hungary): Product design, sound design, studio recordings, creating the video demo.
      - Zsolt Rammer (Hungary): PC and MAC Editor coding, graphics, sound design.
      - Gabor Gerenyi (Hungary): Product design, sound design, marketing.
      - Simon Iten (Switzerland): Product design from the very beginning, sound design.
      - Gergely Barcza (Israel): Design concept for EWI mode, EWI mode sound design, and demo recording.
      - Geza Barcsik (Hungary): main graphics designer.

You can find all product details at http://pandamidi.com. Let me cite here just a few of the most important features:

- modular type synthesis with flexi controllers
      - true multi effects processing
      - bass, guitar and wind instrument modes
      - ADSR envelopes
      - VCO3 and 4 acts as an extra LFO
      - redesigned look
      - new lower price
      - lifetime warranty
      - and as a last days result, integrated sound program database in the editor!

It is important to note, that the electronics of the FI v3 is identical with the FI I., so your current devices can be software-upgraded to be functionally identical with FI v3. Watch the video demo showing all the 99 amazing new sounds, cca. 10 seconds from each. Also you will find on our web page the FI 3.00 software upgrade with the bank of the new sounds and all documentation, naturally ALL FREE OF CHARGE!

I signed the bottom plate of the first 20 FI v3. Hurry if you want to get one of them!

Finally, I would like to thank everyone on this forum for your help, comments, critiques and suggestions during the development. These all contributed to giving you a better product. Enjoy!

Andras Szalay
    • By Svidasmile
      350GBP
      Collection preferred
      Trades accepted

Roland GR-55 with :
      - GK-3B divided bass pick up (147GBP new)
      - Roland GKC-5 Midi cable (47GBP new)
      - Usb cable connector
      - All the original cables and converters, manuals
      - No original Box

The synth works for guitar or bass, the pick up is only for bas

Everything is as new, perfectly functional and without a single scratch, used the machine only to practice and for studio sessions. 

Specs:

The Roland GR-55 is a revolution in guitar synthesis, with features never before available in any guitar processor. In terms of speed, it’s the fastest ever. It’s also the most accurate, thanks to newly developed pitch-detection technology.

As for sound, the triple-core generator houses a world-class array of virtual guitars, basses, amps, and synth voices, enabling tones and textures that have never been heard before.

Onstage or in the studio, you can instantly access the GR-55’s huge library of ready-to-use sounds, from pop to rock and beyond, with quick-access category buttons. Welcome to a groundbreaking new era in guitar synthesis!

New Sound Possibilities

The GR-55’s powerful triple-core engine comprises two PCM synthesizers (with over 900 tones powered by the latest Roland synthesis technology) and COSM® guitar modeling, featuring a virtual treasure trove of guitar, bass, amp, and synth models. Together, these combined technologies allow you to create unique, revolutionary sounds. The “Metal Synth Lead” preset, for example, combines two types of thick, brilliant synth textures with an overdriven solid-body/humbucking tone for incredible punch and power.

Lightning-Fast Tracking

Thanks to Roland’s decades of research and dedication to guitar synthesizers and powerful new pitch detection technology, the GR-55 is far and away the fastest guitar synth ever. Furthermore, the COSM guitar-modeling engine needs zero detection time, allowing the GR-55 to respond instantly and exactly as you play. The GR-55 detects pitch, velocity, and behavior for unprecedented response to your performance.

Instant Gratification

Get ready to rock…and fast! The GR-55 puts you instantly in touch with a huge library of amazing sounds, no editing required. The onboard lineup of ready-to-use presets (270, plus 297 user) takes the pain out of the process, with simple category buttons for finding the perfect sound fast. Choose from hundreds of great presets for pop, rock, and beyond, and kick-start your song or jam with unique, powerful sounds that will turn heads and raise fists.

Easy to Use

If you’re new to the world of technology, fear not. The GR-55 is powerful yet extremely friendly. For customizing sounds, the EZ Edit feature (made famous in the GT-10) and large LCD takes the guesswork out of the process. And for those who want to go deep, the GR-55 offers huge array of controllable parameters. Pros will appreciate the power of the GR-55 while beginners will love how quick and easy the unit is to operate.

USB Connectivity

The GR-55 conveniently bridges the guitarist to the desktop music production world with its two USB ports. The rear-panel port can be used one for MIDI/Audio data communication; the side-panel port is dedicated to real-time playback of audio files from a USB memory device (sold separately). The GR-55 provides foot control of USB audio playback so your hands never need to leave the guitar

• By jbasst
      Hi all,
      Got a bunch of pedals to be moved on - *free postage within the UK*

3 Leaf Audio Wonderlove Deluxe envelope filter - £220
      MXR Bass Preamp - £95 + original box 
      EHX Bass Big muff micro £50 

Cheers 👍