Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Thunderbird Pro basses

Boneless

[quote name='BassManKev' post='375704' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:24 PM']i like the black one, dont care much for the other two....that 'bad-ass' comment is a little cheeky![/quote]

It is anomalous, because it reminds me more of a Hipshot A style bridge than anything else.

[quote name='beerdragon' post='375690' date='Jan 9 2009, 10:11 PM']Can they call it a "Bad ass" bridge? and the price?[/quote]

If my name was Mr Quan and I lived in a posh house I'd get my chauffeur to drive me round to Mr Gibson's even posher gaff and punch him in the gob.

That or get the Badass packaging to read 'if you take a hammer to this it'll drop straight in and replace the piece of sh*te you'll find on your Eppifone or Gibbsun'.

I've always like Tbirds but prefer to admire them from afar rather than wrestle them myself.I have to say the sound and build quality of my Epi Explorer is great - no issues at all with it. It's a pig to play but horses for courses etc.
As has been said moving the strap button around can help a lot but it means taking the drill to your pride and joy which is a bit rubbish.

I shifted the bottom one on mine rather than the neck one and it's about 6 inches in on the back of the body. Moves the whole thing to my right so at least I can reach the first fret. That's an explorer though so not sure why I said it!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='377645' date='Jan 12 2009, 01:31 PM']Am I alone in thinking that these are the ugliest TBirds yet?

Just look at that photo of the headstocks and the way the neck laminations appear behind the headstock facing - yuk![/quote]

Nope, i said i didn't like them.

The only thing that is right about these is the jack placement. The rest is all wrong. Wrong pickups, wrong bridge, wrong volume/tone knob layout, wrong-looking truss rod cover and logo placement, wrong finishes. Wrong wrong wrong! ;) :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, prices time!

Dawsons have them on their webby for £349 ex delivery for the 4 and £419 for the 5.

Hmm, well, that puts them in the higher priced Epiphone bracket, but I was expecting them to be closer to the £400 mark, although they are now direct competitors to Fender MIM's and have the bonus of being neck through and made of alright woods.

GAS GAS GAS GAS GAS.
Ahem.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='377527' date='Jan 12 2009, 11:53 AM']Nice.

I alway wonders gibson/epi don't just put the front strap button at the neck heel like I did with my alpine-white epi tbird, then people won't keep going on about neck dive.[/quote]

I did the same with my Warmoth SG, another bass slated for neck dive. It completely cured the problem and its not exactly rocket science.

• 6 months later...

Because the low end market has been irrevocably damaged by all the chinese rubbish like "Shine" and "Lindo" thats been shipped over the last few years, and nobody is prepared to drop decent money on a higher grade Epiphone now, why spend 400 new when you can get a better LOOKING instrument for 99 quid on ebay, or a used Gibson for 600? The gap in equipment between serious players and beginners is widening, theres very little really good gear in the midrange anymore unless you look secondhand IMHO.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='566339' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:29 PM']It's also because Gibson took over from the UK distributor the other year, so you can only get Epiphone & Gibson gear at a few authorised dealers in the UK these days. They're not selling through the smaller shops anymore.[/quote]

Your spot on there. Merchant City Music in Glasgow used to sell Gibson/Epiphones and now the only place you can buy them in Glasgow as far as I know is Guitar guitar. Kind of narrows down your choice and haggalin options.

Jez

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='565570' date='Aug 10 2009, 11:57 PM']Anyone got one yet?? Anyone know where they're stocking them? Tried GAK and they said they wouldn't have any till the end of the year!!!![/quote]

I ordered one in February... still no sign. I've been told that they have no idea when they will arrive. Gibson/epiphone are not answering 'when' questions, and yes, it might not be any time this year.

They said I could have my money back though, if I don't want to wait.

Edited by evilLordJuju

[quote name='robocorpse' post='566003' date='Aug 11 2009, 04:06 PM']Because the low end market has been irrevocably damaged by all the chinese rubbish like "Shine" and "Lindo" thats been shipped over the last few years, and nobody is prepared to drop decent money on a higher grade Epiphone now, why spend 400 new when you can get a better LOOKING instrument for 99 quid on ebay, or a used Gibson for 600? The gap in equipment between serious players and beginners is widening, theres very little really good gear in the midrange anymore unless you look secondhand IMHO.[/quote]

Thing is, the low end stuff is still great. I only buy second hand low end basses and stuff I buy accidentally on ebay whilst shilling for acquaintances.

[quote name='Gust0o' post='573644' date='Aug 18 2009, 11:12 PM']+1 for the low-end!

I think I'd be totally unworthy of anything too nice - what would I do with it? Play it in the pub? :)[/quote]
Nothing wrong with that, you might as well get the best you can reasonably afford to buy!
Plus, the new t-birds do look REALLY nice!