Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Thunderbird Pro basses

Boneless

Me too :) Always had a serious soft spot for the Tbird. Love the looks, and the tone. I've only had my Gibson Tbird a couple of months now, it tool ages to arrive :rolleyes: A very generous birthday present from the mrs!

I agree with the point about the low end stuff. Some of it is getting seriously good now. OK, the out of the box set up on some of it isn't brilliant, but a little bit of patience works wonders, but at the end of the day, you get what you pay for :lol:

I have to admit, I often scratch my head over the price of the USA Fender stuff. I have a Squier Precision loaded with SD Quarter Pounders, spent a little bit of time setting it up, and it plays lovely, and has a wicked tone. So......why are the Fenders so much money??

I hate to quote the blatantly obvious, but these basses have been cropping up in the US eBay for the last month or two. If anyone is so desperate for one of these and can't wait for them to arrive here, then get online and take a punt on getting one from the US - exchange rates, while not great, are favourable right now, but factor in shipping and duties and you'll at least have one a few months before they come out here.

I'm sorry, but in these days it's a global market; you shouldn't need to say something isn't available or put deposits down and wait patiently for a UK distributor to take their thumb out their ass and get things moving. We all know how it works here...we get it later than everyone else on the planet and pay double for it too.

P

[quote name='Shaggy' post='574158' date='Aug 19 2009, 01:51 PM']A bit new and shiny for you ELJJ? (oh all right...new and matt / satin......) :)
Looks lovely though, like something Gibson should have made in the '80's instead of the Explorer - tell us how you rate it![/quote]

I know. It isn't really my sound - I may pacify it (or is it deactivate?) with some nice chrome-covered NOS tbird pups.

I just thought it was a very nice bass for very little money, and being maple should be robust enough to take out without worrying all night. Did I mention I snapped my 60s non-rev bird. Well it was a resnap, so i'm not losing sleep over it.

So far I like it, but I need to get some flatwounds installed sharpish.

[quote name='evilLordJuju' post='574750' date='Aug 19 2009, 09:15 PM']Did I mention I snapped my 60s non-rev bird. Well it was a resnap, so i'm not losing sleep over it.[/quote]

Goddam shame, that's otherwise a [b]fabulous[/b] looking bass.....tell you what, just as a favour to you, I'll take it off your hands for parts value..... :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='575339' date='Aug 20 2009, 11:53 AM']If you are going to be changing the pick ups what you want is [url="http://www.mikelull.com/Test_web/store_new/store_home.htm"]a pair of these[/url].[/quote]

Or these, a bit cheaper and allegedly Gibson: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Set-Chrome_W0QQitemZ260465540954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca4f4bf5a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Thunderbird-B...id=p3911.c0.m14[/url]

[quote name='Shaggy' post='575893' date='Aug 20 2009, 06:19 PM']Or these, a bit cheaper and allegedly Gibson: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-Pickup-Set-Chrome_W0QQitemZ260465540954QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item3ca4f4bf5a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gibson-Thunderbird-B...id=p3911.c0.m14[/url][/quote]

With non-matching cream plastic surrounds? That doesn't look right to me.

No, I have some NOS (from the greatdealz people) bicentennial thunderbird pickup 'cases' that I would use. I know the Lull ones are very well regarded, but a pair would cost more than this bass! I would like to try them sometime though.

No, since my first post I have played it a bit more, and have decided to keep it stock. My children had been fiddling with my amp, and so the first few goes were with very odd settings. I didn't notice, thinking it was just the bass, but after spotting it, it sounds a zillion times better.

I actually LOVE This bass - as is, and advise you all to get one :) Fantastic value for money

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='375935' date='Jan 10 2009, 10:37 AM']These look very yummy...the black one looks lovely. [url="http://www2.gibson.com/getdoc/bbfc3c88-40dd-47b4-8da6-8fd01dd112ac/EBTPTBBH-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx"]HERE[/url] The headstock looks a little more chunky than the Gibson, but the Epiphone logo kind of carries it off. I have a black BadAss II somehwere here from my unfinished Spectorbird project too.

To affirm the US pricing, the 5-string carries an MSRP of $999, the 4-string $832.
P[/quote]

Don't think so Paul.
I do believe you sold it to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere else, since Sound Control in Leeds was demolished.

Is there anywhere in Sheffield that might?

EDIT: Give PMT in Leeds a ring. They'r Gibson and Epiphone stockists but their website is pretty poor.

EDIT AGAIN: Gear4music in York have the five string listed on their website. www.gear4music.com

Edited by WonderHorse

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='604545' date='Sep 21 2009, 02:09 PM']Off the top of my head I can't think of anywhere else, since Sound Control in Leeds was demolished.

Is there anywhere in Sheffield that might?

EDIT: Give PMT in Leeds a ring. They'r Gibson and Epiphone stockists but their website is pretty poor.

EDIT AGAIN: Gear4music in York have the five string listed on their website. www.gear4music.com[/quote]

thanks I will try PMT in Leeds.