Why become a member? ×

New Epiphone Thunderbird Pro basses

Boneless

Got them in Dawsons to buy online

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone_thunderbird_pro_iv_natural.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/epiphone...iv_natural.html[/url]

I really liked the look of them in the flesh too. I tried the Thundrbird iv (not the pro) and thought it was unremarkable although what do you expect for £200 !!

I think you'll find that no-one in the UK actually has one in stock (please someone from a music shop prove me wrong).

Personally I'd get one off eBay from the US. Even with VAT and shipping it'll probably be cheaper than the UK shop price, you'll get it in couple of weeks time, and given that there don't actually appear to be any for sale in the UK yet, I doubt you'd have a problem selling it on if you found it wasn't for you.

[quote name='WonderHorse' post='605531' date='Sep 22 2009, 01:12 PM']The feel of it can't be that different to a standard T-bird can it? So maybe it would be fine to try a standard one?[/quote]

I suspect it'll feel similar to a standard Gibson what with it being neck through and having the Gibsons slimmer and smaller dimensions on the neck. The bog standard Epi is 1.73" width at nut compared to the Pro's/Gibsons's being 1.5".

[quote name='Buzz' post='606712' date='Sep 23 2009, 03:08 PM']I suspect it'll feel similar to a standard Gibson what with it being neck through and having the Gibsons slimmer and smaller dimensions on the neck. The bog standard Epi is 1.73" width at nut compared to the Pro's/Gibsons's being 1.5".[/quote]

It's having facts like this which makes me laugh at not so reputable music shops like Wizard Guitars (Eccy Road, Sheffield)... when they tell me the Epi T-bird IV Pro is just a bog standard Epiphone T-Bird with different pups. :)

[quote name='JPJ' post='377263' date='Jan 11 2009, 11:45 PM']Ok Egor, my evil plan has taken a step nearer to fruition.

First, we buy the black five string version. Then we take our trusty chop saw to the headstock and replace it with a ball end holder. Then we add Status style tuning keys at the body end of the bass. And then Egor, having solved the infamous neck dive issue, WE TAKE OVER ZEE WORLD HA HA HA HA HA[/quote]

Or...

You could get a L-O-N-G strap and stick a strap button on the back of the headstock (like the old Fenders)
Or...
You could get an Acoustic G****r strap- The type that ties just above the nut- and use that.

I'm inclined :) to think that would cure the Tbirds inclination for declination :rolleyes:

[quote name='hookys6stringbass' post='610320' date='Sep 27 2009, 08:47 PM']here's a few pictures of my [url="http://www.photobox.co.uk/slideshow?album_id=200557090"]Thunderbird pro[/url][/quote]

Post some photos of that Rickenbacker as well...I'm not a real fan of them, but I admit there's a little lightness in my stomach when I see black ones.
P

Anyone know if there's actually going to be a black version of the 5-string model?

Anderrtons have one listed (out of stock and with a pic of the 4-string). All the early publicity implied that both the 4-string and 5-string versions would both be available in all three finishes. However the Gibson site only shows the 5-string as being available in a rather anaemic natural finish.

Anyone seen at least a photo of the 5-string in black?

Spoke to PMT in Leeds today.
They said they dont know when they are coming in as Gibson UK are the supplier and they have no idea when they will send them, or how many etc.
They did say however, they can put an order in for one if you put a deposit down 10%. This is REFUNDABLE, so if you dont like the bass you get your money back. They said if they put one on order, it should arrive faster than not placing an order - you would bloody hope so lol

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='614277' date='Oct 1 2009, 10:06 PM']I have to say, having seen your lovely black T-Bird Pro & having seen the price on the Anderton's site, I'm getting rather tempted myself!

Rich.[/quote]

I forgot to say boys and girls that I ordered mine from Thomans. I did the T- Bird bundle ... T-bird and gig bag. Bloody fast delivery , I highly recommend.

Went and bought mine from GAK today. I only went in to see have a browse and see if they were in stock and then there they were laid out looking gorgeous.. It was begging for a play so I obliged. :lol:

Seeing the sunburst finish in the flesh made me like it less so it was a clear run for the black for me. I have to say I am very happy with it, it looks lovely and does sound nice and growly.

Speaking to the guy there he reckoned they had just got six black ones in stock recently and had sold four today alone :) so with me rushing back just before they closed after deciding I "needed" it they should now have one! It'll gets its first road test next week for a gig. :rolleyes:

Anyone point me in the direction of a supplier of genuine Gibson/Epiphone parts?

I want a black scratchplate for my Gibson T'bird and I really like the ones on the new Epi. I did try an aftermarket one, but it was crap. Also I do rather like the T'bird logo on the plate.

Ta