Why become a member? ×

New Fender 'Roadworn' Series

molan

Shoot me down but I think the Fiesta Red Jazz looks the absolute dog's doodahs. The price is ridiculous (as it will be for all N American Fenders soon, now that the pound has collapsed even further - was 1.36 yesterday)

Don't know why Fender doesn't make use of Fiesta Red more often

People around here need a reality check. Business is business. Fender make relics because they sell. They sell because a lot of people like them. They are priced at a point that people will pay and Fender make a profit.

I for one like the relic look, I saw the strats and the Tele in a shop the other day and I thought that they looked pretty OK although obviously short of the custom jobs (but way better than cheapo stuff like 'Vintage' put out). Guitarist mag reviewed the strats/Tele and ultimately thought that they were 'genuinely very very good guitars' so I don't see why the basses should be any different.

And personally, I find the cost less offensive than the astronomical amount you pay for a really top-end bass eg 2.5K+

[quote name='Golchen' post='390228' date='Jan 24 2009, 10:17 AM']....Fender make relics because they sell.....They sell because a [b]lots [/b]of people like them.......I find the cost less offensive than the astronomical amount you pay for a really top-end bass eg 2.5K+[/quote]

+1

• 2 months later...

Flame me if you want but I just bought a MIM Road Worn P. I tried it side by side with a standard MIM 50s reissue and a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (maple 'board, sunburst finish and more expensive than the RW) and the Road Worn just felt and sounded the best to my hands and ears. Whether you buy into to looks is up to you, but I bought primarily bases on tone and feel, then the price and looks. Fender certainly seemed to have upped the MIM quality quotient with these (given the extra cost they should be too), I'm very happy.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='454247' date='Apr 4 2009, 06:01 PM']That is very, very nice.[/quote]

To quote Elvis, "thang ya ver murch"

I plan to put another P p/up in it in the bridge position in the not too distant future.

[quote name='Duarte' post='454999' date='Apr 5 2009, 10:56 PM']I then looked at where it was made...and it said Made In Mexico, so I left the shop.[/quote]

ariba ariba!!!......you no like the mexicans hombre?? [attachment=23368:ist2_316..._mexican.jpg]

Just on the whole mexican debate, I went to a music shop the other day in Norwich and they had two Mex 60s classic jazzes, one black and the other sunburst. I first tried the black one and was utterly dissapointed, it sounded muddy, undefined and generally quite poor. Also the neck seemed a bit over tinted and a bit too orangey. Next I tried the sunburst expecting the same but to my suprise it sounded absolutely killer, an almost perfect jazz tone, and the neck was a much nicer shade.

What I don't understand is how two basses of exactly the same model can sound so different. I'm obviously not linking the colour to the tone in any way but the mex models do seem to be pretty inconsistannt in quality. I guess the answer to the problem is try before you buy. And also don't hold prejudice against any kind of bass until you've tried one out, it really did suprise me how nice the sunburst one sounded.

personally i think the roadworn series is pretty good. they all feel really nice to play and sound good. fender werent going for a vintage correct instrument just something with a bit of vibe for the people who can afford the £2K + for a custom shop or an original. Though i don't own one, nor will I, i'd say they play and feel twice as nice as the highway one in my opinion. they are only up at that price because of the dollar to pound at the moment anyway. the only thing that would put me off is the fact that all of the relicing is 'templated' so youd have to add a bit of your own distressing to have a more unique one. but yeah nice mexican basses if you are looking into one, the telecasters feel nice too!

• 2 years later...

I will add here several pics I made. It is obvious that not everyone RW has the same wear pattern, but basically, worn places are the same.

[url="http://gdavidak.rajce.idnes.cz/Fender_Road_Worn_60_Jazz_Bass/"]gdavidak | Fender Road Worn 60' Jazz Bass – rajce.net[/url]

Someone asked about how does RW look under pickguard. I've made another pics of it.
Note that stupid ROAD WRN stamp. It's annoying, but I'm sure it could be polished since it is nitro which is very soft and thin. From what I've seen, sunburst versions are different, they all have that stupid CNC hole and have milled wiring highway to neck pickup, think US Standard basses.

Naked, "Jacoed":

Here's a picture of what everyone means with "broken in feel neck". Fretboard is rounded between frets, looks like someone has played it for years :)

And the last one, thumbrest included :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1204408' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:25 AM']Y'know, looking back through this thread, the haters can say what they like but the truth remains - IMO, these look bloody lovely.[/quote]

I agree!

It is very odd that the red basses have no channel cut to the neck pup but the sunburst does... am I reading that correct? :)

It is all very weird with those channels and holes. I've read several threads on TB where everyone with SB version told about channels. I thought that fiesta bodies are hole-free, like mine, but I've found this body on ebay right now.. Who knows.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1204408' date='Apr 19 2011, 08:25 AM']Y'know, looking back through this thread, the haters can say what they like but the truth remains - IMO, these look bloody lovely.

Nice bass, Davidak.[/quote]

+1, really like the look of them

I`m not overkeen on fake relicing, but these basses play so nice, and feel so comfortable, if I were looking for another Precision, this is probably/scrub that, undoubtably where my money would go. Aside from a Fender Custom Shop Pino Palladino Precision, the RW Precision I played was easily the most comfortable bass I`ve ever played.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1204451' date='Apr 19 2011, 09:08 AM']I`m not overkeen on fake relicing, but these basses play so nice, and feel so comfortable, if I were looking for another Precision, this is probably/scrub that, undoubtably where my money would go. Aside from a Fender Custom Shop Pino Palladino Precision, the RW Precision I played was easily the most comfortable bass I`ve ever played.[/quote]

I have to agree 100%, tried both above in GAK & just exactly as you say. I was interested in the '62AV but the RW is so 'ready to go' & feels so right. The Pino is just one step too far IMO with all the rust going on, don't like that.

They play nicely, they're great in that respect.
The look... is fine. The dings are passable, but the worn marks are all too fake, too clearly manufactured... that is what puts me off buying one, which is a pity as they are very nice to play.

Just read this thread from the beginning. Interesting how the discussion has generally moved on from the price and desirability of the roadworn concept to the more current 'we know about the looks, but just play one !!'

I have the Precision and the Jazz and they are soooo friendly to play. Won't be getting rid of either of them :)