Why become a member? ×

using two bass amps

Diablorojo

Bass > Splitter box into 2 paths.

Path 1: Over drive, modulation, synths etc - amp 1
Path 2: Compression and octaves. - amp 2

Eq each amp to suit it's role. Path 1, roll off some lows. Path 2, roll off the highs.

It works very well. I ran a split dual amp system like that for years. Now I do the same in my Helix.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Diablorojo said:

I have an ampeg ba115 and a marshal dynamic bass amp. Do i connect these two using an AB box or take a line out of the ampeg into the marshal? Does it make any difference?

G

Why do you want to have two bass amps?

Is this for live or studio use?

i used my Roland GTB mfx unit with left going to a Warwick head and running a more bass sounding EQ and the other right hand channel going to a GB Streamliner head running a more mid to high sounding EQ. At the time i had a Bergantino AE112 stack and a Berg HT322 cab (12, 2x10's + horn). I wasn't after more volume but it allowed me have a perfect Low end bass tone that i could bring in as much as i liked. It certainly gave my bass a lot of depth but i got fed up humphing all that gear around for gigs. Now i have a Mesa rig.

Years ago in 80's i ran a Roland pre-amp in to 2off Matamp valve power amps into 2 seperate custom cabs. A 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. Sounded big and warm with my Jazz bass.

Really depends on what you are trying to achieve with it. I never ran any effects. The Roland had a compressor built in.

Edited to add that PA signal was always taken from the Streamliner head and FOH added their own amount of low end as required.

At the end of the day it was only for my own personal on stage tone. Bit overkill i think but always fun experimenting with your gear.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

i used my Roland GTB mfx unit with left going to a Warwick head and running a more bass sounding EQ and the other right hand channel going to a GB Streamliner head running a more mid to high sounding EQ. At the time i had a Bergantino AE112 stack and a Berg HT322 cab (12, 2x10's + horn). I wasn't after more volume but it allowed me have a perfect Low end bass tone that i could bring in as much as i liked. It certainly gave my bass a lot of depth but i got fed up humphing all that gear around for gigs. Now i have a Mesa rig.

Years ago in 80's i ran a Roland pre-amp in to 2off Matamp valve power amps into 2 seperate custom cabs. A 2x10 cab and a 1x15 cab. Sounded big and warm with my Jazz bass.

Really depends on what you are trying to achieve with it. I never ran any effects. The Roland had a compressor built in.

Dave

ta

I ran a dual channel set up for a while (different prestages, Matrix stereo power amp, multiple enclosures).  On a very basic level, as the bass wasn't dual channel (or stereo), after a tuner I'd split the signal via a Morley ABY box and then shoot these outputs into a pair of @Tech21NYC units, on one side I'd run the signal through a Rolls SX21 crossover then into a Sansamp GT2; the Rolls allowed me to strip out the lower frequencies before they hit the GT2 and gave me a fairly sweet dirty top end.  The other side went through a Sansamp BDDI, providing a fairly controllable lowend rumble. 

You know though, for all the fussing and outboard, the Tech21 dUg does all this.  I just wish the unit had been around years ago to be honest.

27 minutes ago, jacko said:

Or both amps.  

refreshing to read a thread that isn't about downsizing for a change :D

100% agree. I went the Markbass route and it was OK but not quite right so went back to big amps and cabs. Mesa rig is my best to date. Still to try the Mpulse thru my Berg HT322 at a decent volume. That's for my next rehearsal :D

Many of my experiments in 80's were because Neil Murray was doing stereo outputs from basses and bi-amping his then Peavey amps. All made sense back in the day when i was younger and fitter. :laugh1: 

Dave 

I’ve got a crazy idea to do this.

Bass -> Tuner -> ABY pedal

Chain 1 goes into my Little bastard and pair of One10s to run overdriven

Chain 2 goes through my fx (chorus and octave), SansAmp (to go to PA) and then into Spyder550 or ABM and Super Compact

One day I’ll have a reason to turn up with all this to a gig :D

Edited by Merton
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure Steve Hackett's bass player in 70's / 80's Richard Cadbury had a weird bass rig that i think was something Steve Hackett requested.

Not sure all the details as was a long time ago but basically his bass went into a stereo flanger / phaser effect then split into a bass rig at each end of the stage giving the bass a very full sweeping sound. I remember seeing him live on the Spectral Mornings tour i think it was and the bass was amazing.

Sure someone on here will know the exact details of this set up.

Dave

19 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Just take a DI feed out of either amp surely?

You would need to take a feed from both to get any benefit from using both, especially if they sounded different and the point of using two amps was to get the blend between the two.

If there is no PA support for the bass then I suggest to the OP that they get a long lead or a wireless system and go around the the venue and check just how much tonal variation there is in different parts. What you probably find is that one amp/cab combination projects far more efficiently than the other, and while the tonal balance between the two is perfect where you are stood on stage, it will be completely different out in the audience.

• Like 2

On 01/10/2019 at 11:45, Diablorojo said:

live - sounds great and looks great!

I too love to do this. Only where the gig allows it though, set up time and space are always a consideration. Those who've not tried it will be in for a pleasant surprise - it is a unique way of setting up.

I used to split my signal using a preamp with two outs into a stereo graphic thence into two separate amp/cab set ups. The most basic set up wouldn't be for a stereo effect, I would simply bias one amp towards the bass and one towards the treble.

Then once I liked what I was hearing the volume knobs on each amp became simple tone booster/cut controls. What always surprised me was that when I took away the 'bass' amp how thin and weak the 'treble' amp seemed on its own. Likewise when muting the 'treble' amp the bass seemed impossibly dubby and lacking in definition and yet when blended together the sound was amazing and lacking nothing. Where the heck were the mids coming from??! (rhetorical question - I neither know nor mind not knowing).

I absolutely accept to some people this sounds like ridiculous, eccentric behaviour. And that's fine. No one is forcing anyone to do it 😉, but for others this will appeal to a sense of experimentation and fun and it really does produce interesting results.

• Like 4

If you're going down that sort of route, then do it properly, Phil Lesh style. Quadraphonic pick ups sending individual signals from each string into a huge stack. Four sets of amps & cabs.

Mind you, all I use to play his lines is a single Ashdown head and a Barefaced 1x12. We don't have huge trucks or a vast stage crew!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1