Why become a member? ×

The 'little things' that make bass life better!

Al Krow

On 13/08/2019 at 15:55, lemmywinks said:

On 13/08/2019 at 16:05, dave_bass5 said:

Ok this thread is starting to 'cost' me money - always a risk when you start a thread! 😁

I've gone for a 'safe' manual variant of what lemmywinks suggested. Just over £3.

I use the velcro cable ties and the fret wraps - the seller on eBay is a member here - Michael something??? - I bought them in a package - 2x wraps and 5x cable ties IIRC. You can order them from a seller in China for less but the ones I ordered never arrived despite promises and reassurances. If you want to take the chance....

Also a user of the Grolsch rubber washers...I bought 10 from somebody here who kindly drank the Grolsch (I don't drink) and sent me the washers. There's good neighbourliness for you.

A big fan of string mutes - a recent discovery for me - had some foam lying about from a previous purchase - thought I'd give it a go on the Nanyo that @Andyjr1515 rebuilt for me - love the change in tone. 

I don't think anybody has listed it here and I want to get one - a combined string winder and snips to cut strings. Andy from D'Addario brought a few along to a Herts Bash - somehow they left with other BCers, not me - gutted - I can't bring myself to pay for one now!!

59 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

You can order them from a seller in China for less but the ones I ordered never arrived despite promises and reassurances. If you want to take the chance....

Mick in defence of China, I did get both my velcro-tie packs from the Chinese supplier (2 separate orders in the end after I found how useful they were and how quickly I got through a pack of 10!). They arrived very quickly and are now happily tidying up cables and leads in gig bags and the basement! :) 

Something that has made a massive change to my playing & is remarkable value for money is my much used Zoom H2n (& before that the H1) handy recorder. In the dim & distant past, recording rehearsals & gigs was a much more involved process and the sound quality was fairly hit & miss. Having a good recording of every rehearsal which can easily be shared helps a lot with practicing new songs & remembering the arrangement and fiddly bits of a song.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Mick in defence of China, I did get both my velcro-tie packs from the Chinese supplier (2 separate orders in the end after I found how useful they were and how quickly I got through a pack of 10!). They arrived very quickly and are now happily tidying up cables and leads in gig bags and the basement! :) 

Glad your deal went well...

I waited forever for the fret wraps, had numerous promises that they would arrive "soon" - didn't happen - I asked for replacements to be sent - they didn't - I gave them every opportunity to put the situation right but it didn't happen.

I eventually took a (reluctant) refund - I've been looking at placing the same order but you know what they say "once bitten..."

14 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Glad your deal went well...

I waited forever for the fret wraps, had numerous promises that they would arrive "soon" - didn't happen - I asked for replacements to be sent - they didn't - I gave them every opportunity to put the situation right but it didn't happen.

I eventually took a (reluctant) refund - I've been looking at placing the same order but you know what they say "once bitten..."

Yeah for sure, I completely sympathise! I'm guessing we may well have had different Chinese suppliers for our products; it's a shame that one rotten apple can and does taint a Nation's 'brand'.

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Something that has made a massive change to my playing & is remarkable value for money is my much used Zoom H2n (& before that the H1) handy recorder. In the dim & distant past, recording rehearsals & gigs was a much more involved process and the sound quality was fairly hit & miss. Having a good recording of every rehearsal which can easily be shared helps a lot with practicing new songs & remembering the arrangement and fiddly bits of a song.

Same here. I used to use cassette recorders with an external mic, then DAT, then MD and now fully digital. I record all our rehearsals and gigs. Its the one piece of gear that always gets used when I’m in an band environment, no matter what else I use. 
Currently using a very nice and small Roland R-07 which i can control from my phone and even my Apple Watch. Gotta love progress....sometimes. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

Cheaper, even than chips. I use the free Spire app to record rehearsals etc. on an iphone ( not included in pricing). The app allows you to set the level so you don’t  overload the phone mic. You can convert the recordings to mp3 which makes a song small enough to whatsapp or email around.

• Like 1

Although not in the same league as all the above, my iPad has completely changed the way i learn songs at home

Before i was always tied to my PC in the living room, and even though i would use headphones i would still annoy the hell out of the family with 'all that twanging'. Having all my music and YT etc available on my ipad means i can go in to any room and sit peacefully, with my bass on my right leg, and play for as long as i want without worrying about the 'twanging', and looking like a pratt lol.

13 hours ago, garyt said:

Definitely the Beat Buddy.  Ultimate practice tool at home, can easily stand in for when your drummer can't make it to rehearsal, and it is giggable. 

Never heard of these before. I've just looked them up and I'm intrigued. I might have to invest in one. Although they're a bit on the pricey side. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Never heard of these before. I've just looked them up and I'm intrigued. I might have to invest in one. Although they're a bit on the pricey side. 

Incredible bit of kit.   It definitely isn't pricey for what it is, although you could easily break the bank on the premium packs as they are soooo good. 

• Like 1

Two things for me. The Tascam GB-10 - small but not cheap at £150 or so from Thomann. And the Kinsman KGS stool, less expensive but larger at £30-£35 (a bit less for the Harley Benton version from Thomann) which enables me to do 45 minute sets without collapsing in agony. I will also mention Eneloops, as I use them in a few things and I like to feel I'm doing something to save the planet as I drive to the next gig and plug in my 900W amp...

• Like 1

Dunlop Road Pro Bass string winder. About £9.00-ish  (cheaper may be available). Easy to use, saves all that turning by hand malarkey.

Digital calipers.  A few quid from ebay. Great for measuring stuff e.g. pickup dimensions, nut widths, bridge size etc etc. for when swapping or looking to upgrade parts.

🎸

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...