Why become a member? ×

Time Wasters.

bubinga5

12 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

That depends - if you get £2400 for it when you sell it, is that better than if you could only sell it for £2000 somewhere else?

Fair point. I do think that on Ebay you get top price for it.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Quilly said:

The worst thing about time waster is that they want your goods for a ridiculously low price . I’m all for bargaining but some take the P altogether. 

Are you not referring to what the Yanks call 'Low Ballers'? Time Wasters are not necessarily Low Ballers though they most often can be.

• 2 months later...

Classic timewaster has been PM-ing me.

My ad says "£400 firm" and NO trades.
He asks "Trades or £300?"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm".

He offers "£350 cash"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm"

He replies that he's "OK thanks"

WTF was the point of all that?!? Can people not read?! I'm all for making one CLOSE offer (we all do it) but after that? Really....?!?

Edited by cetera

I'm selling a GK cab on eBay, £50 start price.

I get an offer for £45 from a zero feedback user. Declined and suggested they hadn't quite grasped the concept. Instantly get an offer of £50. Declined that and now I get an offer of £75, anyone care to bet on the likelihood of me actually receiving that if I accept the offer? (I'm not going to, by the way)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I get that people have to start somewhere with eBay, but I really think you should be able to limit what a newbie can buy. Say nothing above £20 until you have 10 positive feedbacks. That might stop some of the idiots messing the good guys about.

Idiots will always find a way to mess things up no matter what rules are in place. Don't think there's a practical way around it. 

3 hours ago, cetera said:

Classic timewaster has been PM-ing me.

My ad says "£400 firm" and NO trades.
He asks "Trades or £300?"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm".

He offers "£350 cash"
NO thanks. I reiterate "£400 firm"

He replies that he's "OK thanks"

WTF was the point of all that?!? Can people not read?! I'm all for making one CLOSE offer (we all do it) but after that? Really....?!?

I either don't respond to clowns like this or respond with childish things like "To you, £500."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I get that people have to start somewhere with eBay, but I really think you should be able to limit what a newbie can buy. Say nothing above £20 until you have 10 positive feedbacks. That might stop some of the idiots messing the good guys about.

What happens to those people who only join eBay because they want one thing? I know someone who wanted a guitar that was listed on ebay that he had been after for years, so he joined, bought that guitar which he is happy with but has no intention of ever using eBay again.

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What happens to those people who only join eBay because they want one thing? I know someone who wanted a guitar that was listed on ebay that he had been after for years, so he joined, bought that guitar which he is happy with but has no intention of ever using eBay again.

personally I would be very wary of selling to someone with low feedback, the only time I've had any trouble when selling is with someone who had  feedback of under 10

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

personally I would be very wary of selling to someone with low feedback, the only time I've had any trouble when selling is with someone who had  feedback of under 10

Happened to me twice in my early days of ebaying. One guy from Sweden hit the button on a mixing desk I was flogging (even after discussing postage costs with me) and then went silent on me. After several days, I got the 'I made a mistake' email. Ebay were of no help. 2nd one was a guy in same town as me who bought a guitar. Again, no payment but a whining email saying that he'd bought it via his GF's ebay account and who got nasty with me when I reported the account to ebay.

For a while I inserted 'No bidders with positive feedback less than X' which caused a raft of mild abuse to hit my inbox. It would be great if ebay allowed you to customise this in your sales page that automatically blocked bidders with less than X feedback.