PatrickJ

Shuker, ACG or Sei Basses for a custom build?

On 14/02/2019 at 20:54, PJ-Bassist said:

Clearly I have a type!

These are my three short listed body shapes, all modernised J Basses

• ACG Retro B
  • GB Spitfire
  • Shuker Custom J Bass

I have just come out of a similar experience for my 50th, a desire to own a great instrument that will age with you. Like yourself I narrowed it down before asking the bass community. I was between and ACG a WAL or an Overwater.

The whole experience was fantastic and I encourage you to enjoy it; every little decision is your alone. I opted for an ACG in the end, I loved the whole process, Alan was great, as I’m sure each of all the UK makers would be. I just love the ACG preamp, I’m not a professional musician so I understand the difficulty in investing 3-4k in an instrument, on the other hand, what a fantastic position to be in!

Edited by rmcki
  • Like 1

Hi All, bumping a slightly old thread to see if there was an outcome :) 

...I also wondered if there were any online resources for Sei at the moment as their website is under construction but they dont seem to have any other presence?

Thanks

4 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Hi All, bumping a slightly old thread to see if there was an outcome :) 

...I also wondered if there were any online resources for Sei at the moment as their website is under construction but they dont seem to have any other presence?

Thanks

I don’t think there is at the moment; the old website appears, as you say, to be in the process of being replaced. You could always email The Bass Gallery and ask. 
One thing I noticed earlier in the thread where someone said Sei were slower to respond to queries (current circumstances and lockdown aside), please bear in mind they are often extremely busy as they’re the repair people of choice for a great many of London’s (and elsewhere, as in my case) bassists. And of course The Gallery is a shop too. The shop, so far as I’m concerned.😉

• Like 4

I've owned two of the three listed - I'd be happy to own either again, or TBH pretty much any British custom builder (with the exception of Ebay bodger, Mr Philips).

I think we're spoiled in the UK with numerous excellent Luthiers. If you have the money you just need to decide who you're going to give it to, then kick yourself for not going to one of the others (after all, they all make exceedingly good...). 

Sometimes you can have too much choice.