Why become a member? ×

Stingray 2EQ or 3EQ?

rbatts2000

Hi all

Just a quick question regarding Stingrays. Apart from the obvious 'missing' mid eq knob/functionality on a 2EQ Stingray, is there a reason for the big difference in price between a 2EQ and 3EQ Stingray?

E.g., [url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/products.php?s=&k=stingray&x=0&y=0&m=Brands&c=Products&r=Price+Range"]Check out the top two prices[/url]

Many thanks

Rick

I've always found the MM 3 band eq's are great - having the control for the mids is really useful IMHO, just tweak it a bit and the output/tone becomes more 'in your face' without turning round to fiddle with your amp. This is especially handy if you end up using an unfamiliar rig for some reason.
My Stingray was a 3 band, now got a Sterling with same. Love them both!

However, I used to have a pre ernie Stingray from the late 70's which was only 2 band (they all were then!) , and that also rocked.

So my advice is try a couple and see which you like best - don't think you'll go far wrong with any Musicman bass. Their build quality and sound has remained high for decades.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='341989' date='Dec 1 2008, 03:53 PM']I've got a 3-band fretless and I never touch the mid knob.[/quote]

+1

i'm not talking stingrays here, but in general i never use mid knobs so personally i'd go for a 2 EQ.

my dad used to have a 3 EQ and i loved the way it sounded, but i never used the mid knob. i've heard a lot of people say the 2 EQ sounds better though.

[quote name='rbatts2000' post='342229' date='Dec 1 2008, 06:53 PM']I'm a 'no frills' type of player anyway, so the 2EQ option is looking more attractive at the moment. Or will I regret not getting the more versatile version in the long run...? Heh heh :)[/quote]
If versatility is a possible concern, get thee a Sterling!
3 Band + Series/ Single Coil / Parallel switching (4 string 'Rays are Parallel by default)

The question here really is whether an extra mid control is worth £150!! Possibly not?
As Hamster states, you will probably be putting it through a graphic or other tone controls anyway!
For what its worth, the secondhand values of Stingrays don't appear to be greatly affected by the 2/3 tone control options,
so maybe thats the route to go down? Its a great time to buy at the moment too,so good luck.

[quote name='casapete' post='342794' date='Dec 2 2008, 11:09 AM']The question here really is whether an extra mid control is worth £150!! Possibly not?
As Hamster states, you will probably be putting it through a graphic or other tone controls anyway!
For what its worth, the secondhand values of Stingrays don't appear to be greatly affected by the 2/3 tone control options,
so maybe thats the route to go down? Its a great time to buy at the moment too,so good luck.[/quote]

Wot he said.

You should get a good one either 2 or 3 eq for £550-600.

i personally prefer the 3 eq, as i mess with the mids knob quite alot, certainly more than i touch the bass knob.

However if i was buying new, id probably choose the 2eq, as the extra money you would spend getting a 3eq you will never see again, but i would never buy new :)

Edited by BassManKev

Have both, a 1978 and 1987.

The pre-amps are different. Its been explained on other sites like Talkbass or something.

They sound different but are both recognisable as a stingray. Setting mids at zero on a 3eq does not give the 2eq sound.

In short, the 2eq definitely has deeper lower end and a touch more top end sizzle. The 3eq is a polite version of the 2eq.

I like both but prefer 2eq.

[quote name='obi 2 kenobi' post='344046' date='Dec 3 2008, 01:26 PM']Have both, a 1978 and 1987.

The pre-amps are different. Its been explained on other sites like Talkbass or something.

They sound different but are both recognisable as a stingray. Setting mids at zero on a 3eq does not give the 2eq sound.

In short, the 2eq definitely has deeper lower end and a touch more top end sizzle. The 3eq is a polite version of the 2eq.

I like both but prefer 2eq.[/quote]

I have a 3eq playing through a Markbass LMK. I never alter the amp at all (all set at 12 O'Clock). However the mid is the knob that I use all of the time to tweak sound. I have a midges of treble on, a bit more bass and generally the control the sound on the mid. To get my sound in any room, the mid knob does it all. Interestingly, I can emulate by jazz and p bass sound with my Stingray, I don't know if I could do that with 2eq. I have a Bassman 135 setup that I mess with (for my own amusement) and I can plug any bass into it and then copy the sound with my 'Ray. I'd say don't spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar...

I seem to recall there is a difference between the pre-amps in the 2EQ and 3EQ models. I think the 3EQs are cut and boost, whereas the 2EQs are boost only (or something like that) but I could be wrong. I actually have one of each (an '89 2EQ and a late 90's 3EQ) but have never strung them up or tuned them both identical to be able to give a definitive answer regarding differences in sound. They also have different necks (3EQ maple and 2EQ rosewood) but I guess I should do a proper comparison one day.

I like them both for different reasons, but probably more due to the neck differences because of their age differences (the 2EQ has a "finished" neck) though I'd say they definitely sound different. The 2EQ seems to produce the "one trick pony" classic Stingray sound a little better than the 3EQ does, but I'm happy with that. :huh:

If you want a Stingray, you probably can't go wrong with either (so I guess that would suggest you may as well save the money and buy the 2EQ). Or as others have said save even more money and buy a second hand one. I thought about selling one of mine, but knowing what they typically go for these days on Basschat and fleabay, I've decided to wait as they're worth more to me than the loss I'd take. I might change my mind once I find a Sterling5 to try. :)