Why become a member? ×

Hofner's eco-friendly bass

project_c

Yep, that is one gorgeous looking bass, I have this on my wish list to buy once finances are better (which will be a good couple of years from now) there are some really nice pics of this bass on Hofners website

Edit - the op has already linked to the Hofner website, my bad

Edited by markdavid

46 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

D'Addario strings now do recyclable packaging which I think is more relevant. Instruments get recycled in that they are sold on so I think that there are better ways that Hofner could look at how their products impact on the environment. 

It all helps. The less plastic crap the better. Remains to be seen if this is a token gesture or part of a bigger move, but anything that slows down the endless flow of plastic can only be a good thing, even small gestures like this. I agree D’Addario are also pretty good, as are Warwick. 

I am an avid recycler, but to be frank this is more marketing than anything else. Average life span of an instrument? 30 years or more? Not exactly wasting resources compared to packaging, plastic consumer goods, toys, cars, batteries etc. Addressing an issue that does not exist to an extent.

Should be in the "things I don't understand" thread. So - how much unrecyclable global waste is a consequence of Hofner basses being non-compostable? This clearly demonstrates that they regard their instruments as short-term and disposable, so d'you think the price reflects this?

And no plastic parts? Chinny reckon! Pickup bobbins, pot internals, wiring insulation? You can even see the nylon bushings on the tuners! :lol:

• Haha 1

I estimate that my bass collection is approximately 93% recyclable as it is - I don't think I will be rushing out and changing them for one of these.

Surely not using CITES listed woods is something every manufacturer has to do if they want to sell internationally? It's hardly a moral decision. 

Not sure there's a genuine need for this. My friend who is a guitar collector of sorts has a very rare epiphone his uncle found in a skip he was walking past, so maybe there are a good few guitars in landfill here and there... You could dig them up and sell them as "relics" like some of the butchered crimes against music you find on eBay.

Edited by uk_lefty

46 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

Not heard that for thirty years!!! May just be saying it all day at work now. That's brightened my morning!

It's a phrase that makes regular appearances on Sean Keaveny's show on BBC 6 Music 

4 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Not sure there's a genuine need for this. My friend who is a guitar collector of sorts has a very rare epiphone his uncle found in a skip he was walking past, so maybe there are a good few guitars in landfill here and there... You could dig them up and sell them as "relics" like some of the butchered crimes against music you find on eBay.

You could argue there’s no genuine need for any bass other than a Precision. (Or any bass at all). I don’t think they intend to change the world with this, I see it more as a gesture and an indication that they are aware of issues surrounding manufacturing. If every company involved in manufacturing products of any kind made a relatively small change like this, it would have genuine impact. 

Saying that I think doing it like this is a little half-àssed and could be perceived as not much more than a token gesture. If they changed the whole product line to be less plastic reliant, it would really be impressive. Warwick have made a much more significant effort to minimize their environmental impact, but that’s a whole different business model.

• Like 1