Why become a member? ×

Sandberg appreciation society

GisserD

18 minutes ago, Vin Venal said:

Sandberg 48 owners!

How do they compare to Gibson/Epiphone T-birds in terms of ergonomics?

Are they equally massive, heavy and neck divey?

Ive only tried one briefly in a shop and it was pretty well balanced. But I think as with all Sandberg basses, they take existing designs and just refine them to make them better* and more playable.

*A bit subjective and does not result in them being more popular.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

Sandberg 48 owners!

How do they compare to Gibson/Epiphone T-birds in terms of ergonomics?

Are they equally massive, heavy and neck divey?

I tried 2. Not perfect balance but good enough, a LOT better than Thunderbirds. The neck still feels long due to the absence of a 'horn' to attch the strap button to. They were very nice, but I chose a VM4 instead. Not nearly as cool, but I found the ergonomics much more to my taste.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone using the single coil much on a TM instead of the humbucker? Just read that the "humbucker is also on a split coil circuit, meaning it can be utilised as a second single coil pickup at the flick of a switch" (I've only had the bass over two years 🙂). Daft question, but does this give you the same or similar two single coil tone that you get in the TT? I usually just play on the neck pickup, but sometimes I need the humbucker/single coil to cut through in a band setting.

Actualy, when using both pickups, I much prefer the single coil mode at the bridge and using it 90% of the time.

However, you won't get a TT/JB tone with that single coil mode on the TM. Henrik Linder is the tone that comes to my mind when I think about it.

I realy love that sound but realy not traditionnal JB tone.

;)

Hope it helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can only tell you of my own experience, but many years ago I marched into a music shop fully expecting to buy a Sandberg TM. To me it was obvious that the TM with the coil splitter would cover everything that the TT did, and then some. I sat down and played through the range of Sandbergs they had in stock. The TT with both pickups blended at different levels had tones that the TM couldn't match. I bought the TT instead and 12 or so years later and I still have that bass.

• Like 2

On 20/08/2022 at 16:56, timbo1978 said:

Fell in love with an electra that @ots was selling, but I missed out. 

tracked a new one down (specific older model with maple fingerboard) at bass direct and it arrived yesterday. 

Had to fiddle around to sort out a buzzing 10th fret on E string, but sounding superb. 👌 👌 👌 

20220820_164830.jpg

I super dig the asthetics of these basses, can definitely see myself playing one. Reports are unanimous that they're great to play. They're just not my cup of tea in terms of tone. I'd love it if they did a version that was voiced more traditionally.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Davebassics said:

I super dig the asthetics of these basses, can definitely see myself playing one. Reports are unanimous that they're great to play. They're just not my cup of tea in terms of tone. I'd love it if they did a version that was voiced more traditionally.

I agree. I love my Sandbergs but i'd like the Sandberg quality with a vintage Fender tone. Could always just change the pick ups.

Dave

It really all depends what you want

yes the pick ups give a flavour, but, if you have an amp or a preamp you like the Sandbergs are perfect - delanos are not sterile by any means, but are fairly neutral, they will sit there and allow you to mould your sound.

Use what available EQ, amp, cab sims, pedals you want etc and you know you have a wonderful sounding bass to project your playing 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davebassics said:

The passive TT4 has a very traditional tone. The Umbo is Sandberg's "passive only" design.

3 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I agree. I love my Sandbergs but i'd like the Sandberg quality with a vintage Fender tone. Could always just change the pick ups.

Dave

I  have a VS4 that I put an EMG Geezer Butler in and it sounds like a good Precision.

Here's my basses (again). All passive. All traditional sounding.

Sandbergs.thumb.jpeg.21735ade97e0d1211a74c1f4a5040b13.jpeg

I've also owned a VM4, a TM4 and an active TT4 previously.

Edited by Opticaleye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Davebassics said:

I could probably stomach grabbing an Electra and putting new electronics in it, but I don't think I could live with myself pulling the trigger on a California knowing id want to replace parts on it immediately.

If you order directly from Sandberg and use their online configuration thingy you have a choice of pickup options so you can choose whatever suits your needs. 

I previously had a passive TT4 with Hausell pickups and it was a classic jazz tone only a bit bigger sounding! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Osiris said:

If you order directly from Sandberg and use their online configuration thingy you have a choice of pickup options so you can choose whatever suits your needs. 

I previously had a passive TT4 with Hausell pickups and it was a classic jazz tone only a bit bigger sounding! 

Oh Nice, that's interesting! I'll have to have a look! thanks.

• Like 1

The configurator doesn’t have all options. Just the most common ones.

But when you order you can do what like.

but get a quote with and without. Sometimes it’s cheaper to do a pickup swap yourself.

My incoming Lionel Superlight will have the stock pickup which will be a bit too modern for me, but I have an Aguilar 60s wind waiting already. I’ll try the stock one first though, just in case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The configurator doesn’t have all options. Just the most common ones.

But when you order you can do what like.

but get a quote with and without. Sometimes it’s cheaper to do a pickup swap yourself.

My incoming Lionel Superlight will have the stock pickup which will be a bit too modern for me, but I have an Aguilar 60s wind waiting already. I’ll try the stock one first though, just in case.

Got to admit that I've not looked at the configuration thingy lately so not certain what options they currently offer. 

My Lionel has the stock black label pickup and despite being initially unsure about it - like you a bit too modern, but I have vintage vibes more than covered by my JMJ Mustang - I've grown to love it. The pickup position is actually 10-15mm closer to the bridge so you don't get that classic Precision sound unless you play right over or just in front of the pickup. But the pickup position naturally pushes the right hand back a bit so the inherent tone is pretty unique, you have that low mid punch but with some extra clarity. 

Hi,

I don't usually write here (sorry for my horrible english) but I just discover that group today and I want to share my gear here.

That's my Sandberg Enigma 5, with Dr Black beauties, is one of my main basses and I couldn't be happier with it.

At first sight could seem a very "hard rock" bass due to is the Chris Childs signature model (hard rock bass player) but nothing further from the reality.

I play blues, soul, latin jazz with that incredible bass and sounds amazing in every situation, maybe the most versatile bass that I have.

In styles that you could expect a Pbass or a jazz bass that bass fits very good in the mix and every musician I play they love its sound.

The neck pick up has a very convincent P sound and turning to the bridge pick up you could get a "nasal" sound close to Jaco sound with punch and definition. 

Classy look, classic sound, well balance, incredible neck...perfect for me.

sandberg enigma 5.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, juanbcn83 said:

Hi,

I don't usually write here (sorry for my horrible english) but I just discover that group today and I want to share my gear here.

That's my Sandberg Enigma 5, with Dr Black beauties, is one of my main basses and I couldn't be happier with it.

At first sight could seem a very "hard rock" bass due to is the Chris Childs signature model (hard rock bass player) but nothing further from the reality.

I play blues, soul, latin jazz with that incredible bass and sounds amazing in every situation, maybe the most versatile bass that I have.

In styles that you could expect a Pbass or a jazz bass that bass fits very good in the mix and every musician I play they love its sound.

The neck pick up has a very convincent P sound and turning to the bridge pick up you could get a "nasal" sound close to Jaco sound with punch and definition. 

Classy look, classic sound, well balance, incredible neck...perfect for me.

sandberg enigma 5.jpeg

Have to say that is very nice.

Your English is pretty good so dont be put of posting on here. Its always good to get everyone's thoughts and opinions.

Dave

• Like 2

Just to add, the standard pickups on the passive TT4 are really good, In fact , they are the best jazz pickups I've tried IMO.

I had been planning changing them before I actually tried my Birdseye maple/ mahogany TT4, 

I had a set of Nordstrands that had previously been in my Active TT4 (sounded nice too) but the vintage style Sandberg Alnicos sounded phenomenal. The neck pickup is much more in Precision territory than any other Jazz bass I've owned.

My Umbos are a different thing entirely and with an overall sound somewhere between a Jazz and a Precision, probably due to the warmer sounding Alnico 2 pickups,

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Opticaleye said:

The passive TT4 has a very traditional tone. The Umbo is Sandberg's "passive only" design.

I  have a VS4 that I put an EMG Geezer Butler in and it sounds like a good Precision.

Here's my basses (again). All passive. All traditional sounding.

Sandbergs.thumb.jpeg.21735ade97e0d1211a74c1f4a5040b13.jpeg

I've also owned a VM4, a TM4 and an active TT4 previously.

Umbo is not the only passive only design, Marlowe DK is another…and I think the bass the world TT

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Umbo is not the only passive only design, Marlowe DK is another…and I think the bass the world TT

Yeah but they're both straight Jazz basses really. The Umbo is a more unique design with the slanted Alnico 2 pickups, strange passive circuit and pickguard etc. is what I meant.

There's no active version of the Umbo. 

edit.... Forgot about the Lionel !

Edited by Opticaleye

Hi Sandberg lovers,

I've been using Sandberg  5 strings for many years. I ended up ordering a custom bass from them.

It's a TT5 passive base with a paulownia body. There are some details like the luminiscent sidedots or the ramp.

I received it 6 months ago and I only play it now.

I kept my VM2-5 25th Anniversary as a spare wich seemed light to me at the time but wich weighs as a truck today compared to the 2,7kg of my custom one !

I'm definitevely a Sandberg addict !!

52401468731_01c7bb85ec_b.jpg

• Like 6