Why become a member? ×

Finished Pics! A build for our own Len_derby

Andyjr1515

I just noticed that the top half has possibly an unconscious nod to a Rick 330. Lovely shape and blends in well with the bottom half. RIC would never do a gorgeous back scallop like that though, or use such beautiful woods. Splendid work!

• Like 1

Two more jobs - soldering the wires and fitting the strap buttons.  However, took the advantage of a little bit of cloud (not often in the UK we say THAT!) to take the arty-farty shots - taking photos in full sunlight is not an easy thing to do!

Before those shots (and forgive the self-indulgence!), someone asked me why I've started scooping the back.  Two reasons that can be seen in these two shots:

• It takes out a LOT of weight.  Just look at how much wood has been removed - and this is a relatively thick body this time:

nG0vB09l.jpg

• It allows a superslim transition of the neck to the body.  Again, this one has been made a little deeper (this one is 30mm at its minimum - my last build was 25mm where the body was basically the same thickness as the neck!) but still retains those pleasing lines at the transition.  I've also left the transition relatively modest starting with a taper just past the 13th fret - I can always get the surform out if, after he's had a proper play with it, @Len_derby wants it slimmer further up :) 

FbIBwN1l.jpg

Anyway, enough of the technicals - here are the fancy shots:

ORIFU6il.jpg%20

Fb3GSS8l.jpg

bQQO9HJl.jpg

ntoRudGl.jpg

wD2FtAnl.jpg

WNj2L4ql.jpg

As always, many thanks for sticking with yet another tortuous thread and for your kind words and encouragement - always HUGELY appreciated :)

Andy

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

As always, many thanks for sticking with yet another tortuous thread and for your kind words and encouragement - always HUGELY appreciated :)

You're welcome of course.  Really though, I'm sure I speak for lots of folk when I say thank you for sharing your craft with us all.  I will watch with interest to see where you go from here.

I wish Len many happy years of ownership of this beauty.  With a bit of luck I'll see and hear it in performance soon.  (Been trying to catch Len with the Daz Kelly Trio for a while but plans keep getting scuppered)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Soldered the electrics but reckon I've put in the wrong type of blend pot.  I seem to remember doing that once before.  Trouble is, pinning down the correct pot type from even the most reputable guitar and bass suppliers seems to be a too difficult ask.  And searching on google is a bit akin to asking on a astro-physics forum for a quick layman's explanation of the space-time continuum 9_9

Anyway, ordered two more types - one of them must be the right one.  By the time that's fitted next week, the finish will be hard enough for the final micro-web flattening.  Next weekend latest, I reckon, Neil :)

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Soldered the electrics but reckon I've put in the wrong type of blend pot.  I seem to remember doing that once before.  Trouble is, pinning down the correct pot type from even the most reputable guitar and bass suppliers seems to be a too difficult ask.  And searching on google is a bit akin to asking on a astro-physics forum for a quick layman's explanation of the space-time continuum 9_9

Anyway, ordered two more types - one of them must be the right one.  By the time that's fitted next week, the finish will be hard enough for the final micro-web flattening.  Next weekend latest, I reckon, Neil :)

Is it the MN type you wanted? (Centre both 100%)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Is it the MN type you wanted? (Centre both 100%)

Yes - it is.  There's a lot of ambiguity on most of the sites I use where they call pan pots blend pots and show complicated diagrams but without any description and those simple words 'centre both 100%'.   They need to employ someone like @LukeFRC in their marketing departments !  :lol:

In the meantime, I will write down in my little book of 'things I bet I forget next time unless I write it down right now' that they are called MN types.

Luckily, an MN is one of the two replacements I've ordered on my 'well ONE of them should be the right one!' approach :)

Thanks for the clarification ;)

7 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Yes - it is.  There's a lot of ambiguity on most of the sites I use where they call pan pots blend pots and show complicated diagrams but without any description and those simple words 'centre both 100%'.   They need to employ someone like @LukeFRC in their marketing departments !  :lol:

In the meantime, I will write down in my little book of 'things I bet I forget next time unless I write it down right now' that they are called MN types.

Luckily, an MN is one of the two replacements I've ordered on my 'well ONE of them should be the right one!' approach :)

Thanks for the clarification ;)

It's enough to drive one potty!

• Haha 1

Just added the strap buttons and I'm relieved pleased to say that it balances upright and level.  On the knee it's fine too.

So, just got to swop that pesky blend pot when it arrives and do the final wipe over with micro-web and it's ready to pass across :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Blimey -  I'll have to put the Rascal Mervyn-Lyte you built for me on a diet!!  Congrats on another beautiful creation.

It is rumoured that Andy was secretly developing a bass filled with helium.  Development was interrupted when it was found that it sounded like a soprano ukulele once filled with the gas.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It is rumoured that Andy was secretly developing a bass filled with helium.  Development was interrupted when it was found that it sounded like a soprano ukulele once filled with the gas.

Everyone knows helium changes timbre not pitch ;)

• Haha 1