Why become a member? ×

At last! Mobile phones banned at gigs.

darkandrew

1 minute ago, la bam said:

Haha! Yep! Without knowing it ive probably evolved into a grumpy old sod!

Next gig i go to im going to tell them its too loud, stick my fingers in my ears and tell everyone to stop pushing when theyre enjoying themselves! :)

the odd gig I go too these days I stand at the back with ear plugs in, no wonder I don't enjoy them as much :)

People holding up phones infront of me at gigs does annoy me, but I don't like the idea of this for two reasons:

Firstly, I want to get out of a gig as soon as possible after the last song, I may have a couple of hours journey to get home and if I'm up in London will most likely be dependent on public transport, I don't want to hang around waiting for someone to open the pouch for me so I can get off.

Secondly, I often go to gigs on my own, so I like having my phone to entertain me between bands when I have no-one to talk to.

I've made concious decision these days not to film or photograph at gigs, as I was looking back through photos from a festival and really struggled to work out who was in each photo, made the whole thing a bit redundant.

I do think that if venues/artists want to reduce the number of people filming at shows then the way to do it is more pro-shot footage. If I know I can access this or a similar set on YouTube, why bother filming it on my phone when a much better quality version will be available online?

Saint Vitus Bar in New York have put several well shot, full sets on YouTube of small(ish) bands - the likes of Converge, Sumac, Russian Circles and Origin; if they can do that for bands of this sort of size, larger bands/venues should be able to.

5 hours ago, mcnach said:

He'd better not come to see my band, then. We're peaceful but not pacifists ;)

I very much doubt you’d do anything to illicit me gobbling at you. I Spit at bands/people far less now than when I was a punk, but, given exceptional circumstances, it’s still in the repertoire so to speak.

I think everybody is missing the legal part. For copyright reasons it's simply illegal to photograph, film or record during a show...

In the 80's, it was even printed on the tickets and reminded at the venue. 

The law is still the same, but people have become so egocentric and selfish that they don't care at all. 

You know, the next step could be drones blasting these cell phones (and maybe spitting on them first) and that would be great fun. :biggrin:

• Like 1

IMO people like to use their cameras to record a moment, something they attended and it becomes more personal when you have taken it yourself. No, its not going to be broadcast quality, probably grainy and possibly out of focus, but it’s something else you can take away from the event and cherish. 

THIS is why people use them at gigs IMO, and while it does seem to be almost everyone doing it at some point why shouldn’t they? I don’t agree it spoils the gig for others, unless they held up in front of you and blocking the view. Look at the performers, not the audience. 

The bag idea seems like  a lot of hassle for both venue and event goer to me. 

I'm not a generally a fan of people filming on their phones at gigs but I have a drummer friend who is five foot nothing.

Most of the gigs we go to are standing only and holding her phone in the air and pointing it at the stage is sometimes the only way she can see anything.

She also likes to film drum solos so she can watch them back later and pick up tips or so she tells me. Normally I go the gents at the first hint of a drum solo breaking out, so I'm not there to see her doing this.

Edited by Cato

4 hours ago, darkandrew said:

I could take Frank Blank's lead but use a water pistol instead - having said that, taking a gun full of an unidentified liquid into a gig is probably frowned upon these days too.

I went to a gig once where a guy was shooting some unidentified liquid into the mouth of anybody who would want to.

I felt very old. Is that really a thing? 

Ugh.

8 hours ago, Cato said:

I'm not a generally a fan of people filming on their phones at gigs but I have a drummer friend who is five foot nothing.

Most of the gigs we go to are standing only and holding her phone in the air and pointing it at the stage is sometimes the only way she can see anything.

She also likes to film drum solos so she can watch them back later and pick up tips or so she tells me. Normally I go the gents at the first hint of a drum solo breaking out, so I'm not there to so her doing this.

She should really get a ticket for a seat then... seriously who does that?