Why become a member? ×

Complaining Neighbour

pbasspecial

It's been said before in other threads, but a Zoom B1on with a £20 pair of Sennheisers makes the perfect silent practice rig.

You can play any hour of day or night without disturbing anyone or giving her an excuse to disturb you.

Until she thinks of something else to complain about.

8 hours ago, Earbrass said:

This. Playing amplified in a terrace house is unnecessary and antisocial.

:D

It depends how you play!  

If you can play your stereo or your TV in a flat, you can also play your guitar through your amp... just don't be a silly billy when you do it

edit: "silly billy"... that's what the 'profanity translator' substituted my original text with, ha!

Edited by mcnach

7 hours ago, linear said:

Impossible to tell without being there, but if the bass is at a 'reasonable volume with a little bit of vibration' it's probably significantly too loud, in my opinion.

Bass travels like crazy and, given the repetitive nature of someone running through basslines, is a mild torture to listen to.  I live in a third floor flat and my 10W amp on the coffee table is perfectly audible on the ground floor if I am not careful.  However, I can only use headphones for an hour before I get ear fatigue, so I do practice amplified, and I've had no complaints yet.  Bass and volume rolled right off, it is possible.  I've successfully practiced at 3 am without bothering other people in the flat - sure, the noise coming from the amp was at on a par with that made by the strings, but it beats unplugged or achy headphone ears.

I do sympathise though, as I've had a similar experience with a neighbour who would complain at the slightest noise.  One time they saw we were having a few people over and came straight up to complain about the noise - we hadn't even turned any music on, people were still taking their coats off  -  they were essentially complaining about the noise they assumed we were going to make!  Ultimately, if you genuinely believe the neighbour is being vexatious with their complaints, you can just nod and smile politely and then politely ignore them.

You're probably right.

If things are vibrating in the room... your bass is going  to travel quite a bit!

I guess this is also the difficulty: one man's reasonable is another man's too loud

I live in a detached house and always use headphones for practicing, I really don't see the problem, does it really make that much difference than practicing through an amp at low volume? and it keeps the peace

Edited by PaulWarning

6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

This. The last 3 places I've lived have been terraced houses and that was how I approached the neighbours. In one of them we actually had a big basement area set up as a rehearsal space (acoustic kit, small PA, etc) and  the neighbours' response was - "don't worry - if we think you're sh!t, we'll let you know!" Reassuringly they never complained. :)

Present gaff is an end-terrace & we have an upstairs bedroom on the outside wall (not adjoining neighbours) set up as a music room/home studio & happily it doesn't bother anyone.

What's interesting about this thread for me is that when I'm practicing alone, I'm always unplugged - I can hear myself perfectly well & have no need to complicate things with amps & leads. If I'm learning a song & need to play along I have a little Behringer mixer/interface attached to my laptop so I can either play (quietly) through speakers or through 'phones.

I think if I decided to set up my GK 401RB rig & crank it until stuff started vibrating, the neighbours would have every reason to be a little bit f*cked-off.

Your current house sounds a lot like where I am now. I generally use my MarkBass LM3 into 2x TKS S112 which is always ready to plug into. But you just have to keep it low. I often play at 2 or 3am while my girlfriend is sleeping next door and she doesn't hear me. When I moved in we ran a few 'noise tests' (previously I was in a detached house where I was able to be really loud, and I was worried that I could misjudge levels), so we found at what level I could play without her hearing me, and then surely nobody else could either. During the day I play a bit louder, but not lots more, as it's quiet... except when the neighbours have their kids and friends playing in the garden or the teenage daughter plays her stereo :|

Those that argue using an amp in a flat is antisocial remind me of the time I walked into a bar we were playing for the first time, with my two 212 cabs... the guy in charge of the sound gave me a funny look and said "that looks loud!" in a worried tone. I assured him my amplifier had a volume knob ;) No kittens died and sound levels were as they desired..

I had this problem and i did solve it in the end after a year and a half of practising with my amp plugged in albeit it's only a Orange Crush Bass 50,but i was asked to turn it down  quite a few times,tried wearing headphones but i am one of those that hate wearing them i just end up with a massive headache after 15 mins.

Here's my solution and it won't cost a lot provided you are capable of DIY..

Go out and purchase some of these boards...

http://www.less2build.com/dry-lining/thermal-backed-boards/gyproc-thermaline-basic-standard-40mm i bought four sheets to cover my wall which adjoins the neighbours.

Screw some battens onto the wall then fix the boards onto the battens using plaster boards nails and them get hold of some plasterboard filler patch it up then either paint it or wall paper it's that easy,this will considerably reduce the sound going through the walls.It's worked for me with no more complaints.Failing  this DIY get someone in for  a quote but it really is a simple job.

3 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

Screw some battens onto the wall then fix the boards onto the battens using plaster boards nails and them get hold of some plasterboard filler patch it up then either paint it or wall paper it's that easy,this will considerably reduce the sound going through the walls.It's worked for me with no more complaints.Failing  this DIY get someone in for  a quote but it really is a simple job.

You know what's going to happen the moment he starts drilling holes in the wall though ...  :D 

• Haha 1

I think if anybody is uncomfortable wearing headphones they've got the wrong type of headphones, personally I like in ear ones, I forget I've got them in till I walk off with them still plugged in :sorry: but everybody is different, but certainly those that squeeze you head too tight are not very good

23 minutes ago, Mickyk said:

I had this problem and i did solve it in the end after a year and a half of practising with my amp plugged in albeit it's only a Orange Crush Bass 50,but i was asked to turn it down  quite a few times,tried wearing headphones but i am one of those that hate wearing them i just end up with a massive headache after 15 mins.

Here's my solution and it won't cost a lot provided you are capable of DIY..

Go out and purchase some of these boards...

http://www.less2build.com/dry-lining/thermal-backed-boards/gyproc-thermaline-basic-standard-40mm i bought four sheets to cover my wall which adjoins the neighbours.

I'm a little slow, just to be clear... you kill the neighbours and then put their bodies between the wall and those boards? Simple as that? :ph34r:

It’s a tricky one with noise nuisance and to be honest, I’d probably side with the neighbours.

I used to live in a townhouse with paper thin walls and we had major problems with noise from the neighbours.  The problem is you’re always on edge.  Every night we were just waiting for the drum and bass party next door to start.

Partly due to this, I am now so mindful of how bass frequencies travel.  We’ve all heard a boy racer from 2 miles away with the parcel shelf in his Corsa bouncing.  

If I’m not playing through my headphones, I’ll play through my rig sat on a gramma pad at truly quiet ‘radio’ levels.  If ever I need to briefly crank something up to ‘vibration’ levels (testing cabs etc) I’d ensure that the neighbours were out or I’d set up in the garage on a concrete floor.

• Like 2

I am so lucky!I live out in the boonies in northern Ontario and my nearest neighbour is over 1/4 mile away and it is dense forest between us.I can play anything at any volume at any time and not bother anyone.So whether I'm listening to something loud or playing I can do what I want.Paradise...real estate information on request...Canada will welcome you!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mcnach said:

oooh, "bass"!

ok... :ph34r:

Yes, I know. :)  But one of the problems with this country is that we all live in our hermetically sealed boxes and don’t get to know each other. “Wouldn’t it be nice to get on with the neighbours. “ but relationships need maintenance. They need work. So get out the wine. 

1 hour ago, Twanger said:

. “Wouldn’t it be nice to get on with the neighbours. “ 

yeah  ,,,but they make it very clear ,,,they've got no room for ravers ,,, they stop me from grooving,   they bang on me wall,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

We used to have a certifiably nuts neighbour who complained about everything (really, everything) especially our cats. It got so bad I used to dread coming in from work in case of a confrontation. It was a little old lady with obvious issues so we just got on with things as best we could.  We did get some petty revenge one drunken night by taking all her plant pots and placing them in different gardens up and down the road. Felt great :) When she finally left it was paradise! Good neighbours are invaluable, trust me.

If the neighbour finds the bass intrusive, use headphones and a zoom bfx or similar. It's no big deal for you, but it might be a big deal for her.

I had a noisy neighbour, playing the ghastly "frozen" soundtrack repeatedly. It was torture. Her dog barked all night while she went clubbing. She ignored my repeated polite requests to moderate her behaviour. I did not retaliate with escalating noise wars, but let''s just say she no longer lives there....

your bass playing might sound fantastic to you, (or me!!) but it might be the equivalent of "frozen" to her.

in my opinion, continuing to play amplified when a neighbour has asked you not to is inconsiderate and provocative.

This guy is worth a watch (you'll find him on YouTube)if you have noisy neighbours. He's created a low frequency sound file you can download and play (our bass rigs are ideal for this) to get your own back and best of all, it's not traceable to you because it doesn't sound like music (his neighbours didn't have a clue what the sound was/where it came from and blamed their central heating and all manner of things). Top bloke.

Edited by Dan Dare

Just in case some of you might think 'I'm being the Richard', I actually have a gramma pad, play at low, radio level volume, etc it was just that this time I didn't, it was a little louder (testing out some pedals, etc).  It was Monday morning at about 10 and I genuinely thought she was at work. 

I think as bass players we are used to playing the peacemaker in bands.  Not only do we have to breach the gap musically between rhythm and melody with the drums and guitar, but have to deal with their personalities, adhd psychopaths and control freaks.  Sometimes your feet hurt from walking on eggshells and you just need to let people know that you don't have the words 'Welcome' tattooed on your back.

8 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

Just in case some of you might think 'I'm being the Richard', I actually have a gramma pad, play at low, radio level volume, etc it was just that this time I didn't, it was a little louder (testing out some pedals, etc).  It was Monday morning at about 10 and I genuinely thought she was at work. 

I think as bass players we are used to playing the peacemaker in bands.  Not only do we have to breach the gap musically between rhythm and melody with the drums and guitar, but have to deal with their personalities, adhd psychopaths and control freaks.  Sometimes your feet hurt from walking on eggshells and you just need to let people know that you don't have the words 'Welcome' tattooed on your back.

This is so true!

Personally I wouldn't (and never have) practice without headphones - for one, the wife wouldn't put up with it and secondly I'd hate for the neighbours to be doing the very same thing - can't imagine anythgn worse than a booming bass drone coming through the walls.
In fact, during an on-going 'feud' with our adjoining neighbours about noise levels ( and his fecking DIY at 8:30am on a Saturday morning) they've been playing a radio at pretty loud levels, and after speaking to Environmental Health about it they say that if you can hear it enough to make out what song it is then it's too loud - you're entitled to sit in your own house and not be forced to listen to something you don't want to!
It also seems that recently Councils are really cracking down on anti-social noise levels so I'd think carefully about how you preceed with this and how very quickly and easily she can escalate this!

Decent set of headphones is the answer.

:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

'My wife wouldn't put up with it' :(

I'll just leave that there for a bit. 

is that supposed to mean something - or we still in the 60's and I should beat her until she does????
We can't all be knuckle dragging alpha males eh???

FFS!

Edited by Fastra
  • Like 1