Why become a member? ×

How can I improve my sound? - advice needed!

progben

Hello friends of Basschat,

In short, I've achieved a sound I'm happy with (the dream!) but I'm still interested in upgrading my set up to either improve the core sound, improve consistency or give me a few more options. I play in an originals rock/punk band so don't need a wealth of filters, wah pedals etc. (Although they'd be a nice for a song or two)

My Set Up

• 80's Aria Pro II Special (both pups wide open)
  •  Aguilar TH500 (Bass + Mids boosted a bit, gain boosted quite a lot)

Resultant sound is quite P Bass-y but with a bit more articulation and grind at the top (Quite similar to Paul Simonon from The Clash I think, but more aggressive).

So, I know very little about pedals or what would help improve my live sound beyond what I've already come up with. Would you guys recommend a Sansamp or similar in front of my head, a compressor maybe?

Ideally I'm looking for something for an 'always on' type of solution which will help improve the core tone even more. Any suggestions welcome! 

I love the Tonehammer for more vintage sounds, but for punk I like the clang that a VT Bass brings. If you get the DI version that features a blend control so you can make it subtle if you like too.

Lozz on here is a punk man and is a massive fan of the Tech21 Paradriver.

Another option could be a compressor. They are a subtle effect but can definitely have a positive effect on improving your general tone and volume consistency.

1 minute ago, dannybuoy said:

I love the Tonehammer for more vintage sounds, but for punk I like the clang that a VT Bass brings. If you get the DI version that features a blend control so you can make it subtle if you like too.

Lozz on here is a punk man and is a massive fan of the Tech21 Paradriver.

Another option could be a compressor. They are a subtle effect but can definitely have a positive effect on improving your general tone and volume consistency.

This is pretty much bang on the sort of info I'm after.

I do really love the Tonehammer's warm vintage sound (my guitarist uses a very treble-heavy Telecaster so the TH warms it all up a bit) but the option for more clang would be useful also.

Do you think any of the Tech 21 stuff would pair well with the TH to give me more options?

If you're happy with your sound might it be wise to quit while you're ahead and not add anything that could possibly detract from what you're happy with? :)

If you like the Tone Hammer sound, why not get the pedal version and set up a clean(er) sound on the amp and use the pedal to kick in some drive? 

Yes, Tech21 pairs very nicely with the TH500 - I used to have the TH500 and paired it with a regular Sansamp Bass Driver, all EQ set flat, so essentially getting the Sansamp flavouring added to the EQ of the TH500. For an idea of how this sounds, check out the vid below, that`s what I used to get that sound. As Danny says I now use the Para Driver, which gives me the same sound but all in one box.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Osiris said:

If you're happy with your sound might it be wise to quit while you're ahead and not add anything that could possibly detract from what you're happy with? :)

If you like the Tone Hammer sound, why not get the pedal version and set up a clean(er) sound on the amp and use the pedal to kick in some drive? 

A fair comment, although there's always room for improvement isn't there :D

Like I said, I'm not really after a major upheaval of the sound, but having never gone near pedals (apart from a trusty tuner) I don't have the experience to know whether it'd be a good idea to add some

Sounds like your set for preamp ideas, so  I'll leave that be. (though I love my DHA VT1PRO).

Otherwise, I know it's typically more a grunge thing, but you could try a little chorus before your amp. Set up suptley (low speed, med. to high depth) it adds some movement to your sound without necessarily sounding like you have an 'effect on', or your playing bass under water.

If you are unsure of what effect will do what to your sound you could try a multiFX (zoom b3/ms60b/b1on/b3n are good choices).

Finally, if you do want something a bit out there, bitcrushers are always fun. Ive even ended up with one as an always on pedal to add some texture to long sustained notes.

. . . . I've achieved a sound I'm happy with . . . . there's always room for improvement isn't there . . . .

What cab(s) are you using?

There is always something "better" out there. The clever bit is to know when to stop looking.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, chris_b said:

What cab(s) are you using?

There is always something "better" out there. The clever bit is to know when to stop looking.

I use Barefaced Midgets and am happy enough with the cabs, and often try whatever backline options are already available at gigs too. 

Very true though - I'm keeping my current set-up for this reason. I don't think spending a lot on a bass or amp will provide me with big enough returns. 

Since I've not had much experience with the pedal world, I just wanted some recommendations of things to try that could potentially enhance my sound. It may well end up being that my trusty tuner is all that I require!

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, Tech21 pairs very nicely with the TH500 - I used to have the TH500 and paired it with a regular Sansamp Bass Driver, all EQ set flat, so essentially getting the Sansamp flavouring added to the EQ of the TH500. For an idea of how this sounds, check out the vid below, that`s what I used to get that sound. As Danny says I now use the Para Driver, which gives me the same sound but all in one box.

Great tone that! Well done mate.

A very simple and cheap idea would be to change strings.

what do you currently use?

just this simple change will give a different flavour without twiddling a knob at all.

other option is to change your tuning as a band, if you play in normal and all down tune that also can give a different but subtle sound change

FYI if you get GHS boomers, great to start, but die quickly.

i never got on with Ernie Ball Hybrids or slinky’s

I really like DR DDTs you can use them in normal tuning obviously, expensive at about £35 a set, but I love them!

I am sure others may chime in, but have a good look around 

39 minutes ago, progben said:

Thanks to everyone for their input! I think I'm going to change strings (as suggested by Cuzzie) and maybe invest in a Sansamp, since I could do with a DI box anyway. That should open up some more options and limit mindless spending!

If you can find one a Behringer BDI21 is a virtual clone, at about a fifth of the cost. Will give you an idea if you want to go for the Sansamp without too much initial layout.

• Like 1

Strings make a HUGE difference.

I always used rotosound swing 45s but EVERY bass and amp i had sounded the same.

This year i switched to diadrio exls and everything has come alive.

Id suggest learning how to get different sounds out of your set up using just eq then when you buy / upgrade / change equipment you can dial in a the sound your looking for easily, but itll sound fantastic, and youll be able to tweak to taste.

You could always add an EQ pedal for some songs, or maybe boost your mids on the amp.

New strings would certainly help, I'm a fan of stainless steel's, they stay brighter for longer, and the skin on my fingers doesn't start peeling (reaction to the nickel). I prefer Fender 7350m's, but Roto's & Stadium Elites are a very good choice.

As for effects, maybe look at finding an old Zoom B3 or the latest B3n, it will give you a really wide choice of effects, from compressors to EQ's to delays & distortions to play with. There's a Boss ME-6B for sale in the Effects for Sale just now.

Edited by Skybone

On 06/12/2017 at 11:01, Lozz196 said:

If you can find one a Behringer BDI21 is a virtual clone, at about a fifth of the cost. Will give you an idea if you want to go for the Sansamp without too much initial layout.

I have the BD-I21 and I love it. I put it before my bass modded Marshall ED-1 Compressor last week and everyone commented in the improvement in my sound.