Why become a member? ×

Open strings: Yay or nay, with reasons.

Telebass

Really odd discussion for me.

It's a sound you can use. And so I use it. Sometimes when writing bass lines I will consciously choose an open string rather than fretted equivalent for the sound/flow/feel

It's a tool in the toolbag and I don't see why you wouldn't use it. Right tool for the right job etc..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ped said:

They tend to be quite common on European instruments - I don't know why everyone doesn't use them, tbh. They also make getting a super low action easier.

There is one on my Hayman 4040. I like them, they eliminate any possible nut problems and faffing about with nut files, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, discreet said:

There is one on my Hayman 4040. I like them, they eliminate any possible nut problems and faffing about with nut files, etc.

They can wear out quicker tho - specially if they are the same material as your other frets, and you use rounds. Over time you will get little ruts. I looked at a 60s bass with a zero fret and it's intonation was all over the shop - the zero feet looked like the Lake District..

• Haha 1

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

They can wear out quicker tho - specially if they are the same material as your other frets, and you use rounds. Over time you will get little ruts. I looked at a 60s bass with a zero fret and it's intonation was all over the shop - the zero feet looked like the Lake District..

Peak District surely xD

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Ahh... only used flats on that bass though, but I'm sure you're right. Titanium frets, that's what we need...

3 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Very true.. there was more than one "lake" in this zero fret tho :)

I did see one bass once with a Titanium zero fret - dunno if it helped or if it affected tone tho

xD

I THINK my zero frets are all the same material as the other frets, could be wrong, but one was built in '88 and it's nice and flat like Norfolk (with the possible exception of the Broads)

1 minute ago, ped said:

xD

I THINK my zero frets are all the same material as the other frets, could be wrong, but one was built in '88 and it's nice and flat like Norfolk

I'm in the fens in South Lincs - I bet it's flatter here than your zero fret (unless you have a board of less than 12" radius :biggrin: )

Edited by Bridgehouse
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nightsun said:

I've never played footloose using open strings (well only the E on the run)...I'll try it, although muscle memory will probably bugger me up.

I've got pretty big hands, but pedalling that open A in the chorus is way easier for me than fretting an A!

If I'm trying a line out either an open string or the same note fretted will fall under my fingers easier than the other. I've enough on singing so I'll always go with the one that allows me to play on autopilot but in bits where I don't sing - weirdly - I often do the opposite. I expect it's an insecure desire to let the williams know I'm actually doing something.

Quite often I take my hand away if I'm paying an open note too which probably began as showing off but now is just a habit , though sometimes it's so I can quickly wipe my hand on my combats or make some kind of posy rock gesture.

Jamerson, no less, reportedly used open strings whenever he could, although with ancient flats and a high action, it probably didn't sound any different to a fretted note. I use a mixture, like most. If I want a mellow/less bright sound, I do prefer a fretted note, especially on the D and G strings, however.

On 21/11/2017 at 11:50, thebrig said:

Open A for me on Whole Lotta Rosie, much easier than going from the fretted 5th fret on the E string and back like a lot of players do ^_^

Really?  I find it easier playing the 5th on the E, also makes the bass line punchier to my ears.  I suppose we are all different!!:crazy:

• 4 weeks later...