Why become a member? ×

Uglier than a Bongo!!!

yorick

Ahhh that's not too bad, it's kinda like if Prince were to melt a Danelectro Longhorn. It's far from good, don't get me wrong, but it's not [i]that[/i] bad. The Bongo is like the Joe Calzaghe of bass ugliness, many have had a shot at the title but it remains undefeated.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.ca/2009-PRESTIGE-Wylde-Thing-Active-Bass-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ350120708120QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350120708120&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309"]For those too lazy to search[/url]

As you may have guessed I quite like it although that bass is a bit of an oddity when you look at the rest of the Prestige range which is your standard slight variations on classic models from other manufacturers...

Also I tried some Bongos for the very first time on the Ernie Ball stand at Music Live on Friday. Not at all impressed. I thought to counteract the 'Marmite' looks it would be an amazing playing bass but none of the example I tried were. All felt lumpy and awkward, fine maybe for a £300-400 bass but not at the prices EB wants.

[quote name='Doctor J' post='325901' date='Nov 10 2008, 01:32 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.ca/2009-PRESTIGE-Wylde-Thing-Active-Bass-Guitar-NEW_W0QQitemZ350120708120QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350120708120&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309"]For those too lazy to search[/url][/quote]

i knew that if i scrolled down long enough someone would post the link! :)

The bass in question looks like it's melted on a sunny afternoon :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='325976' date='Nov 10 2008, 03:12 PM']Also I tried some Bongos for the very first time on the Ernie Ball stand at Music Live on Friday. Not at all impressed. I thought to counteract the 'Marmite' looks it would be an amazing playing bass but none of the example I tried were. All felt lumpy and awkward, fine maybe for a £300-400 bass but not at the prices EB wants.[/quote]

I have to agree. I was really looking forward to playing a Bongo when I went to the States earlier this year. I was even thinking of buying one and bringing it back. I was quite disappointed, just the feel of the thing didn't suit me at all. So much so that I didn't even bother plugging it in.

Maybe I'm getting to old for all these new-fangled basses.

7string, On reflection I think I might have been spoiled by nicer basses (Sei, Gus etc...), but wasn't just the Bongos that disappointed on Friday. I also tried a really cool looking Sandberg Custom Thinline and a Mayones 4-string and neither felt particularly inspiring.

However on Sunday at BassDay I had a great time playing basses by ACG and RIM, so make of that what you will...