Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

As it happens my next one will be a Greek one from the workbench of Chris Tsakalis.

Has its own octave which will save a pedal on the board.

I will then be deciding which one of three will have to go. Otherwise I'll won't have the money for my next one. 

I don't really use filter based pedals, like ever, but if I was forced to get one and I could chose any I'd wish freely I guess I might chose the Source Audio Manta, that is unless the EHX Attack Decay counts as a filter pedal (not entirely sure of the exact definition), in that case it would be that one, since it is already on my list of pedals to definitely get at some point, though not exactly an urgent priority either (It is listed under filters on the EHX homepage, so guess it is?). 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

The best filter sound I've ever found is on the Future Impact. When I first used it I immediately  began to sell my collection of envelope filters, auto wahs and pedal wahs. 

The problem is that not all the bands I used to play in called for that synthy sound. I've been searching since then for a more organic kind of sound to compliment the FI. 

It's fun, but a tad disappointing when expensive pedals fail to match up to the patches on a Zoom B1on. 

Not that it matters really. Buying these things is just a hobby for me now. 

2 hours ago, stewblack said:

It's fun, but a tad disappointing when expensive pedals fail to match up to the patches on a Zoom B1on. 

Is that just because you are more familiar with the patches on the Zoom? 

I'm the other way around. I've got a few multi effects but I much prefer all of my dedicated pedals, especially for the pedals I use most (which are filters, octave, and drive).

1 hour ago, Doddy said:

Is that just because you are more familiar with the patches on the Zoom? 

I'm the other way around. I've got a few multi effects but I much prefer all of my dedicated pedals, especially for the pedals I use most (which are filters, octave, and drive).

I am only talking envelope filters / auto wah. My dedicated octaves, drives and phasers are superior to their multi counter parts. 

• Like 1

Ha! Time will tell. I can tell you that I am the owner of number 146 and I bought it from a UK company I'd not heard of before. They're called Scan and at first glance appear to be a computer tech type retailer. 

Because they are. 

However, intriguingly, a deeper delve reveals some pro audio stuff too. And they beat Thomann on price for this one. 

19 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Ha! Time will tell. I can tell you that I am the owner of number 146 and I bought it from a UK company I'd not heard of before. They're called Scan and at first glance appear to be a computer tech type retailer. 

Because they are. 

However, intriguingly, a deeper delve reveals some pro audio stuff too. And they beat Thomann on price for this one. 

Joking aside sounds like they're worth a look!

40 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Because they are. 

Yes, they stock some pretty decent synth stuff. They were listed as official dealers on some synth companies’ websites so assumed they were legit but I’ve never bought from them so far. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Filter/wah with octave (up or down) built in. LP or BP option to use expression pedal.  I'm in the car with it but I'll do a proper review once I get back. (met the DPD guy as I was leaving) 

IMG_20210108_121940.jpg

Not come across Tsakalis stuff before. Sounds pretty good on guitar and cool that it has built in octave - looking forward a "full Stew" on bass!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sshorepunk said:

A "nasty / smooth" button is gonna be useful!

I actually love that! It's just band pass and low pass really, but as a bassist, band pass is pretty nasty. Although with the option of a low octave before or after the filter you can actually fatten it up with this pedal. 

7 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

Yes, they stock some pretty decent synth stuff. They were listed as official dealers on some synth companies’ websites so assumed they were legit but I’ve never bought from them so far. 

Scan are legit, I bought various bits from them to build a PC about 10 years ago!

5 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

More than I can afford at the moment but it looks like a beauty!