Why become a member? ×

If you could only choose one filter pedal

Al Krow

On 25/01/2021 at 23:17, Skinner said:

Yes but as in the starting title . . if you could only choose one filter pedal - which one?

Fwonkbeta!

I'm having a filter clearout this week, need another amp so three have got to go to help the purchase

Also, like me, who has a save search on ebay called "envelope filter"? I need to delete it as its getting expensive

Tony

• Like 2

On 02/02/2021 at 17:12, lee650 said:

This thing had me at its name!! Definitely on my want list 😁

First decent length bass review. A lot less convinced about getting this pedal after wading through 25 out of the 50 mins  - although he might have done a better "sales" job if he had spotted he was overloading it sooner than 23.35 mins into his review. Lol!

Tempted to have a go at an "Atreides patch" on my Zoom B1-4 with comp-->sub-->fuzz-->phaser-->noise gate; I've got a sneaky feeling it won't sound any worse 😁

Here you go @lee650 If I say so myself it doesn't sound any worse ...well that's saved me £150+ on a pedal then!

Atreides.wav

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

First decent length bass review. A lot less convinced about getting this pedal after wading through 25 out of the 50 mins  - although he might have done a better "sales" job if he had spotted he was overloading it sooner than 23.35 mins into his review. Lol!

Tempted to have a go at an "Atreides patch" on my Zoom B1-4 with comp-->sub-->fuzz-->phaser-->noise gate; I've got a sneaky feeling it won't sound any worse 😁

Here you go, if I say so myself it doesn't...well that's saved me £150+ on a pedal then!

Atreides.wav 3.14 MB · 2 downloads

Gaz is brilliant. I’ve been in that room and it’s a veritable playden of cool stuff. 

39 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Gaz is brilliant. I’ve been in that room and it’s a veritable playden of cool stuff. 

Sounds like fun! But how would you rate his review of the pedal? It wasn't really close to being useful for me, nor a decent sales pitch for the Atreides either. But he's clearly an entertaining guy.

Edited by Al Krow

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like fun! But how would you rate his review of the pedal? It wasn't really close to being useful for me, nor a decent sales pitch for the Atreides either. But he's clearly an entertaining guy.

Was it meant to be a review or was it just him having some fun and live-streaming it? He’s a great character and bass player. 

3 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

Was it meant to be a review or was it just him having some fun and live-streaming it? He’s a great character and bass player. 

Dunno - I was drawn in by the title which suggested it was a review, rather than him just mucking about. But hey ho.

Shame that there isn't much else on the pedal by bass players.

• 6 months later...

If you could only choose one filter pedal - get one that gives you two! I just got the Xotic Robotalk 2 and it seems decent. Two bandpass filters that can be combined, each with independent footswitches, volume, decay, sensitivity, resonance, and there's a clean blend. (Ideally I'd like a up/down sweep switch, and low pass/bandpass switch...but that's probably being greedy). 

20210805_120110.jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SumOne said:

If you could only choose one filter pedal - get one that gives you two! I just got the Xotic Robotalk 2 and it seems decent. Two bandpass filters that can be combined, each with independent footswitches, volume, decay, sensitivity, resonance, and there's a clean blend. (Ideally I'd like a up/down sweep switch, and low pass/bandpass switch...but that's probably being greedy). 

20210805_120110.jpg

i used to have one of these. i loved it. it siunds very similar to the MXR BEF when just using one chanel. 

the 2 chanels are voiced slightly differently. i got some wicked sounds out of mine. id diddnt really fint into my es8 setup back then but would defo consider another one now. 

great score!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GisserD said:

i used to have one of these. i loved it. it siunds very similar to the MXR BEF when just using one chanel. 

the 2 chanels are voiced slightly differently. i got some wicked sounds out of mine. id diddnt really fint into my es8 setup back then but would defo consider another one now. 

great score!

Yeah it's similar to the BEF (x2!), I seem to remember that going a bit more extreme - more quack and resonant big peaks that could do with a compressor after it, the Robotalk is better behaved (not sure that's necessarily a good thing from a filter or not though)....it is possibly just down to me now using quite dark/thuddy tapewound strings though - I used steel strings when I had the BEF. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Fwonkbeta is IMO right at the top of the tree of excellent filters in the sub £200 price bracket. Lots of folk also swear by their MXR M82s, which is another £40 less than the Fwonkbeta, but despite having had a stab at using one on a couple of occasions I always found it a little too brittle / harsh. This SupaFunk, however, seems to build on what the Fwonkbeta offers and then takes it up a level in terms of versatility, and it's priced to compete head to head. I've gotta sneaky suspicion that Solid Gold have a winner on their hands.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The Fwonkbeta is IMO right at the top of the tree of excellent filters in the sub £200 price bracket. Lots of folk also swear by their MXR M82s, which is another £40 less than the Fwonkbeta, but despite having had a stab at using one on a couple of occasions I always found it a little too brittle / harsh. This SupaFunk, however, seems to build on what the Fwonkbeta offers and then takes it up a level in terms of versatility, and it's priced to compete head to head. I've gotta sneaky suspicion that Solid Gold have a winner on their hands and cheers to @GisserD for spotting this one!

I had the M82 and an Aguilar Filter Twin when I was playing the kind of stuff that needed an envelope filter. Out of the 2 I much preferred the Filter Twin because, as you say, I found the MXR a bit thin sounding. Just personal preference though. The M82 got shifted pretty quickly.

Edited by Japhet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Japhet said:

I had the M82 and an Aguilar Filter Twin when I was playing the kind of stuff that needed an envelope filter. Out of the 2 I much preferred the Filter Twin because, as you say, I found the MXR a bit thin sounding. Just personal preference though. The M82 got shifted pretty quickly.

Completely agree - but then I think you and I have a similar "ear" on a number of sonic-bass matters! I do know that lots of other BCers love their M82s - so I guess it's kinda what @ped touched on on another thread: that what works with filters is often pretty personal in terms of individual playing styles. 

Having said all that, the Proton Mk4 I have I would rate as being "objectively" excellent! However, I think the SupaFunk may well give it a run for its money and I'd love to get a chance to A/B them in due course.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Completely agree - but then I think you and I have a similar "ear" on a number of sonic-bass matters! I do know that lots of other BCers love their M82s - so I guess it's kinda what @ped touched on on another thread: that what works with filters is often pretty personal in terms of individual playing styles. 

Having said all that, the Proton Mk4 I have I would rate as being "objectively" excellent! However, I think the SupaFunk may well give it a run for its money and I'd love to get a chance to A/B them in due course.

As you say, probably a lot to do with playing technique and style. I play pretty light with my fingers but quite hard if I slap, so consequently, I use a fair bit of compression. The Filter Twin absolutely loved this and produced some epic sounds.

• Like 2

I just tried a Proton IV but didn’t like it as much as my Wonderlove. I missed the ‘resonance’ control which makes the Wonderlove sound so wet, and although nobody talks about it, the band pass mode with some clean blend is amazing. The Proton sounded great, but it just doesn’t warble like the Wonderlove. 

Still interested in trying the Aguilar, their phaser is very good at least!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quatschmacher said:

This one’s new to me:

Does look v. interesting and I think only came out a few months back? Not come across any bass specific demos on YT yet, but it does sound pretty good on guitar. 

Looks like it has a lot of versatility in what it can do (ie more than just a filter) as well as tweakability, but allows us to store couple of presets which will be very handy for live use.