Why become a member? ×

Bass as Lead.

bubinga5

Micheal Manson does this so well on that Roscoe. I love the fact that bass can be used in this way. The bass is so versatile.. The bass player playing on the bottom has just some f***ing amazing playing going on. . As has the Pianist. As has the drummer.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjXDbmGwBLE[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

Seriously wondering why on earth he bothered playing that on a bass. Big Box Jazzer material if I ever heard it.

Some people seem to go out of their way to be "different" for no apparent reason.

P.S. Sorry but today is my official Grumpy Old Git day. Normal moaning will be resumed tomorrow.

[quote name='ivansc' timestamp='1503178771' post='3356308']
Seriously wondering why on earth he bothered playing that on a bass. Big Box Jazzer material if I ever heard it.
[/quote]

Sort of agree. Unremarkable (ie stuff I could play!) guitar solos, for some reason played on a bass.

The split of opinion on this sort of thing always amuses me - "It's too complicated, he's overplaying" vs the "It's too simple, he should spice it up a bit".

Overall I really liked it, a nice chilled out tune with some cool licks and proof that it doesn't need to be over-complicated to be good. Everyone seemed to be really into the groove and the mix was brilliant too. I loved the dark latin vibe and the bass tones from both players were superb.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1503224711' post='3356506']
It would be a dull world if we all liked the same things.

Nathan East is pretty good if you like this kind of thing. Nice mellow sound for a Sunday morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7YNKP_TBts
[/quote]

That's 'Melvin Davies' on Bass duties at the back,
He can solo a bit. :)

http://youtu.be/wGMCa2F474I

[quote name='Mastodon2' timestamp='1503247120' post='3356668']
The split of opinion on this sort of thing always amuses me - "It's too complicated, he's overplaying" vs the "It's too simple, he should spice it up a bit".
[/quote]
That's not really the split in this thread though. While this sort of thing's neither what I play, or listen to - as a piece of music it's pleasant,, the band are great musicians & there's some lovely playing going on all round.

I just don't understand why the guitarist's playing a bass!

I enjoy it for what it is...he's just expressing himself appropriately for the style of music in a live performance. I think the tone is great but I wouldn't buy an album of the stuff.

Note: I'll be bridging the gap between guitar and bass myself a bit in the next week as I'm getting a used Fender Pawn Shop Bass VI this week. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet but love bartione sounds.. It won't sound like that though :)

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1503249299' post='3356689']
That's not really the split in this thread though. While this sort of thing's neither what I play, or listen to - as a piece of music it's pleasant,, the band are great musicians & there's some lovely playing going on all round.

I just don't understand why the guitarist's playing a bass!
[/quote]

It's bizarre attitude though, no reason the bass can't take the lead, the tone and timbre is completely different to a guitar too so the effect is completely different. I suppose if he wanted the piece played on a guitar he'd have had a guitarist do it?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1503255177' post='3356747']
I'm not really fussed that it be a bass, a guitar or an accordion; it didn't do anything for me, end of. I might have been slightly impressed if he got those notes out of a carved carrot, but even then... :mellow:
[/quote]

Yes, we all know. You made it quite clear in post #2.
See you same time tomorrow.
:)

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1503260516' post='3356817']
Yes, we all know. You made it quite clear in post #2.
See you same time tomorrow.
:)
[/quote]

I was just clarifying, following the gist of the topic, that it was not the fact that it was a [i]bass [/i]being played, that's all. Sorry to have disturbed, though.